Skip to content

Dorn BG1 quest: Kryll won't talk or go hostile

jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
The sequence of events, as I played it:
- Talk to Taris, get directions to Kryll. I'm pretty sure I hadn't had the conversation pointing me to Taris.
- Travel to the area where Kryll is, get ambushed by skeletons.
- Approach Kryll. The screen locks to centered on Dorn.
- Attempt to talk to Kryll. Nothing happens.
- Dorn attacks Kryll. She does nothing, and dies in a few hits. The "sleeping" bodies nearby stay that way.
- Dorn has his standard post-battle conversation. The map remains centered on Dorn. Travel away, first to Nashkel and then to Wyrm's Crossing. The screen remains centered on Dorn throughout.
- Fight against Simmeon and friends. Both Simmeon and Dorn die in the battle. The screen returns to normal.

Loading a save removed the screen-centering effect, but the non-hostile Kryll remained, and her minions didn't rise.

The save with this issue is attached.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Do you have a save before coming to this area? I've found a skeleton to the south of where you are, not far away from the place they spawned. Most likely, you used Turn Undead, or something, and this skeleton ran away. Maybe something else also happened.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    No turn undead that I'm aware of, but I do recall that lost skeleton. Killing that skeleton didn't fix the script. Branwen in that party is set to use Turn when idle, but hasn't ever actually done it.

The most recent save I have before that is a quicksave from before talking to Taris. Attached.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I looked into this and I believe I found the problem. It is somewhat complicated to explain, but I think you must have clicked on, and attempted to speak to Kryll before her scripts could fire and dialog with Dorn on her own. The way the script for this encounter was written, doing this would prevent the dialog from starting on its own. There is an in game workaround for this, and that is to simply force-talk to Dorn while in her presence. You can do this by clicking on the "Talk" button, and then clicking on Dorn.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    OK, I can confirm that force-talking to Dorn gets the script running, and the encounter plays out as intended from there.