Skip to content

Project Infinity - mod manager for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, and EET

Comments

• ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Alonso You explain it correctly, my reply is still valid.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    Alonso wrote: »
    Maybe I didn't explain myself well. What surprises me is not that the version is there. What surprises me is that it is not there at the beginning, but then it suddently appears when you click a mod, and it only appears for the mods that you have clicked. Did I explain it better this time?
    Sorry, I was looking at the wrong message. I got it now.
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    ALIEN wrote: »
    • New Feature: pausing installation
    • cannot pause / abort installation of single component
    • cannot pause / abort after the last component starts installation
    • preventing closing application during ongoing installation
    • more GUI elements are disabled during ongoing installation
    • improve aborting installation
    • minor GUI redesign

• cosmetic changes

@Gwendolyne This should be now fixed.

Thanks! It works fine now. ;)
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2019
    @leeux No, sorry I can't help you with OS diagnostic.

I was finally able to install the required software after a long session of Windows Update today... I was a bit behind schedule with them, and after I was fully updated I was able to finally run the installation of the WMF and after that everything went successfully.

Now I can start to play with this new tool you made :smile:
    Alonso
    About setting the install order you say you can do it "via copy & paste", but there are two arrow buttons on the left hand side of the left panel that allow you to sort the mods. So it looks like there are three sorting methods available, right?
    leeux wrote: »
    I was finally able to install the required software after a long session of Windows Update today... I was a bit behind schedule with them, and after I was fully updated I was able to finally run the installation of the WMF and after that everything went successfully.

That is why I wrote 'fully updated Win..." at Requirements section.
    edited May 2019
    Dupe.
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    That is why I wrote 'fully updated Win..." at Requirements section.

Yeah true, my bad... I'm sorry :'(

My problem is my gaming PC atm is also my work PC and due to work reasons I can't always reboot it freely... so I had some updates that weren't triggering due to needing that reboot to happen first. Now is up to date and everything is fine and dandy. Sorry for the bother, it won't happen again :blush:
  • QueenFionaQueenFiona Member Posts: 7
    I'm not sure if this counts as a bug report or if it's the modder's fault, but...
    when trying to install the Enable Dual-classing into Kits mod in Project Infinity, the mod disappears from the list. No log entry is made that could explain this. The only oddity I can find is that the description doesn't list a readme even though one is in the folder. What could be causing this?
    @QueenFiona Neither PI or modder's fault (but he could simply follow other mods standard). It's weidu bug: it doesn't produce MOD_FOLDER variable when BACKUP keyword doesn't contain 'slash' character. Workaround is to replace:
    BACKUP ~DUAL_TO_KIT~

with
    BACKUP ~DUAL_TO_KIT\backup~

inside you local copy.

I will report this to wisp.
    QueenFionaRaduzielkjeron
    @ALIEN Thanks! That fixed it perfectly.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @QueenFiona Neither PI or modder's fault (but he could simply follow other mods standard). It's weidu bug: it doesn't produce MOD_FOLDER variable when BACKUP keyword doesn't contain 'slash' character.
    Interesting, I'll make the changes when I get home today.

I assume PI needs the MOD_FOLDER variable to function?
    RaduzielQueenFiona
    kjeron wrote: »
    I assume PI needs the MOD_FOLDER variable to function?
    Quite simply yes, it use MOD_FOLDER value to determine if the tp2 file is actual mod, not a placeholder for extra weidu commands.
    Project Infinity really needs a way to preserve your selections when you refresh the mod list. Trying to add+refresh or download new mods through the interface currently completely destroys whatever's been picked. You can import from your logs, sure, but that doesn't help until after you've done an install, not before. Since I constantly refer to readmes to see what mods I want and sometimes find I want something I haven't yet downloaded...not everyone's memorized their mod preferences, you know?

I'm also not sure how adding or modifying an existing mod installation works in PI or Baldur's Gate modding in general; I'm new to the game and to the mod scene. (IE, uninstalling EET_end so I can add more mods, then reinstalling; not to mention trying to insert things elsewhere in the load order...) It'd be nice to know how to fix something if I want to tweak something new down the line...
    Alonso
    QueenFiona wrote: »
    Project Infinity really needs a way to preserve your selections when you refresh the mod list. Trying to add+refresh or download new mods through the interface currently completely destroys whatever's been picked. You can import from your logs, sure, but that doesn't help until after you've done an install, not before. Since I constantly refer to readmes to see what mods I want and sometimes find I want something I haven't yet downloaded...not everyone's memorized their mod preferences, you know?

I have good and bad news for you:
    The good: I know how to do it

The bad:
    For other game mods like Skyrim etc it can be done by their corresponding mod managers. For WeiDU mods, it require modders cooperation and for best results also WeiDU additional features. So if you want this feature, you need to ask modders to jump on board of this ship.

The only helpful thing is that every time when you choose fair amount of mods for installation, you can click 'Set-InstallationSequence' button and copy the output from the 'Installation section window'. Then, save it elsewhere so when you restart application, you can paste it and execute installation right away, without re-check all components at the mod list.
    I'm also not sure how adding or modifying an existing mod installation works in PI or Baldur's Gate modding in general; I'm new to the game and to the mod scene. (IE, uninstalling EET_end so I can add more mods, then reinstalling; not to mention trying to insert things elsewhere in the load order...) It'd be nice to know how to fix something if I want to tweak something new down the line...

PI is designed to be flexible enough to allow for any workflow like adding/removing mods from existing installation, reinstalling, use mod compilations/install order from other people etc. But I'm afraid that teaching about every important aspect of Infinity Engine modding in general is out of the scope of this tool. There are just too many of them. What I can assure you is the more you will know about those aspects, the more userful PI will became.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited May 2019
    Question: I've got a eebws. ini ready

Would I be able to import the order of instlalation from BWP, then import the selection from bws.ini, then go?
    edited May 2019
    @Arthas
    1. You cannot import (aka point to PDF and that's it) the order of installation from BWP but you can manually convert BWP weidu.log data (it's inside pdf) to 'sorting order file' and use it to set install order of the mods. Details how to do it are posted at the wiki: https://github.com/ALIENQuake/ProjectInfinity/wiki/Converting-weidu.log-file-into-sorting-order-data

2. You cannot import bws.ini but you can manually convert it, paste into "Installation sequence" window and install all of those mods (if you have them extracted). Be aware that BWS component numbers are already outdated and several mods like 'Tweaks Anthology" miss their components.

Example of exported BWS ini data (it's not install order):
    DjinniCompanion=2 400 300
    Faiths_and_Powers=102 105
    shadowadept=0 0?1_1 0?1_2 0?1_3 0?1_4 1
    RR=0 1 3 4 6 7 999

Converted (again, it's not install order):
    DjinniCompanion:2
    DjinniCompanion:400
    DjinniCompanion:300
    Faiths_and_Powers:102
    Faiths_and_Powers:105
    shadowadept:0
    shadowadept:1
    RR:0
    RR:1
    RR:3
    RR:4
    RR:6
    RR:7
    RR:999

Do you see the pattern?

Now, may I ask: what's the main reason for you to use such way of handling installation?
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    Given that I couldn't know how good some mods are, I have been doing a few playthroughs for myself using BWS by Roxanne. So, I carefully used a BWS that I started honing everytime I did a playthrough until I'm getting a final bws.ini that I will be using for BG:T

The fact that I still didn't use Project infinity is not a lack of interest, rather a lack of opportunity.

Thanks for the help.
    edited May 2019
    @Arthas Regarding conversion of BWS ini, if you see:
    x?y_z

where x,y, z are a numbers, just ignore such entry
    okay, thanks. Hope to start using your tool soon.

I have good and bad news for you:
    The good: I know how to do it

The bad:
    For other game mods like Skyrim etc it can be done by their corresponding mod managers. For WeiDU mods, it require modders cooperation and for best results also WeiDU additional features. So if you want this feature, you need to ask modders to jump on board of this ship.

The only helpful thing is that every time when you choose fair amount of mods for installation, you can click 'Set-InstallationSequence' button and copy the output from the 'Installation section window'. Then, save it elsewhere so when you restart application, you can paste it and execute installation right away, without re-check all components at the mod list.

I'm not talking about keeping track of what's already been installed. I'm talking about keeping track of what you've checked off in the mod list between folder refreshes and use of the download UI in the program. As yet, I haven't installed anything.

I can't expect the program to explicitly keep track of what mods have been installed (unless it's done so itself); I'm familiar enough with how similar engines work (NWN, Dragon Age) to know that's impossible. But if I've gone through hours of work picking what components of each mod I want to use or sorting my install order out, prior to even installing anything at all, I shouldn't be able to undo that just by clicking a UI button. That's bad design.

Would the installation sequence method allow you to make further changes when it's pasted in? If so, it works fine as a temporary solution. If not...well, same problem as above if I want to make changes.
    PI is designed to be flexible enough to allow for any workflow like adding/removing mods from existing installation, reinstalling, use mod compilations/install order from other people etc. But I'm afraid that teaching about every important aspect of Infinity Engine modding in general is out of the scope of this tool. There are just too many of them. What I can assure you is the more you will know about those aspects, the more userful PI will became.

It'd be helpful to at least provide some tips and guidelines in the documentation. Since BWS handled a lot of that stuff on its own, there should at least be an effort to help people troubleshoot themselves in PI's context. With BWS no longer maintained and its fork having its own issues, new players have to come here first - even if you won't do all the work yourself, a completely valid decision, you should do your best to ensure new players don't go in completely blind.
    Alonso
    edited May 2019
    It'd be helpful to at least provide some tips and guidelines in the documentation. Since BWS handled a lot of that stuff on its own, there should at least be an effort to help people troubleshoot themselves in PI's context. With BWS no longer maintained and its fork having its own issues, new players have to come here first - even if you won't do all the work yourself, a completely valid decision, you should do your best to ensure new players don't go in completely blind.
    Allright, that's valid point. What I can do is to provide some kind of FAQ about general aspects of installing WeiDU mods. It won't be comprehensive guide but I guess it's better than nothing.
    Would the installation sequence method allow you to make further changes when it's pasted in?
    Yes, you can manipulate order of the lines and you can add new components ( skip the 'description' part, it's not mandatory to start installation ).
    I'm not talking about keeping track of what's already been installed. I'm talking about keeping track of what you've checked off in the mod list between folder refreshes and use of the download UI in the program. As yet, I haven't installed anything.

If I understand you correctly, the "use of the download UI" and "folder refreshes" should not clean previously selected components, new mods should simply appear at the mod list. That's already covered by Roadmap > Scan single mod
    I can't expect the program to explicitly keep track of what mods have been installed (unless it's done so itself); I'm familiar enough with how similar engines work (NWN, Dragon Age) to know that's impossible. But if I've gone through hours of work picking what components of each mod I want to use or sorting my install order out, prior to even installing anything at all, I shouldn't be able to undo that just by clicking a UI button. That's bad design.

I can track what mods are installed via weidu.log and unless unexpected challenges occurs, it's planed feature.

Save order of the mods at treeview is also planned.

Now, to be clear: you are only worried about keeping the order of the mods and component selection during the time when the application is running, not when the application exits and you run it again later? If the former, it can be done, the later is impossible without modders cooperation.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    edited May 2019
    I can track what mods are installed via weidu.log and unless unexpected challenges occurs, it's planed feature.

Save order of the mods at treeview is also planned.

Now, to be clear: you are only worried about keeping the order of the mods and component selection during the time when the application is running, not when the application exits and you run it again later? If the former, it can be done, the later is impossible without modders cooperation.

It is the former, in this case.

But related to the latter, using weidu logs to keep track of installations would work fine to track Project Infinity itself, so long as you don't do anything manually - if you do, you can't track it owing to the way Bioware engines work. That seems to be adequate; Project Infinity can work just like other mod managers as long as the user only uses Project Infinity, so just warning of what happens when not doing so would work well, right?

EDIT: Tested pasting into the Set installation sequence box; it does nothing to the checkmark list in the UI. I suppose I could always merge in new changes just into the text (I'm assuming the text is sent directly to weifu); but that would be exceptionally time consuming...so it's not really a solution for the more casual user.
    Alonso
    But related to the latter, using weidu logs to keep track of installations would work fine to track Project Infinity itself, so long as you don't do anything manually - if you do, you can't track it owing to the way Bioware engines work. That seems to be adequate; Project Infinity can work just like other mod managers as long as the user only uses Project Infinity, so just warning of what happens when not doing so would work well, right?
    As long as players will install mods before or after using PI, it should be fine. PI doesn't require clean game state, it just continue to install mods into existing game.
    EDIT: Tested pasting into the Set installation sequence box; it does nothing to the checkmark list in the UI. I suppose I could always merge in new changes just into the text (I'm assuming the text is sent directly to weifu); but that would be exceptionally time consuming...so it's not really a solution for the more casual user.

You don't have checkmark list in the UI, you just paste data into sequence box and then click "Start-Installation".
    • reintroduce ability to expand list of mod components as initial action

• fixed sorting order feature (regression)
    Links to an empty page.

@Alonso I wasn't aware that the board is not visible to guests, I've fixed all links, thanks.
    Alonso
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Hello!
    Following step 4 "Run PI, point to temp2.txt file using dedicated field" from here.
    In your screenshot from teh first post, which file is the one the temp2.txt should be read into?

Do I see it correctly that the temp2.txt is created by copy&paste the content of the text field into a txt file and name it temp2.txt or is there an export feature I am missing?
    @Alonso I wasn't aware that the board is not visible to guests, I've fixed all links, thanks.
    Thank you, that's helpful. Still, I had managed to login and get to that page myself. What I mean by "empty" is that that page says nothing about the feature. It says that you added it to the project, moved its location, and some more info, but there's no description or any indication about what the feature actually is or does.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited May 2019
    Hello @ALIEN I foreward reports from a player:
    -the tool does not stop and report if mods failed to install but just skipps them
    -if on full screen, the "pause installation" button is exactly at the place of the protocoll window where the player input for timers etc. is displayed
    -pressing enter is detected as a double press so naming the familiar (for the setup-AnimalCompanions.exe mod) always failed because it was read as no entry
    -installing BGT gives the following error message:
    ERROR: Failure("Required binaries missing for your architecture. Please put tis2bg2, tisunpack and mosunpack into your system path and install again with system-path argument.")
    What is the player supposed to do? Seems this was due to an older BGT version.
    Thanks!
    Post edited by jastey on