Skip to content

Creating a Power-Stealing Sword

dac0152dac0152 Member Posts: 54
For my next playthrough, I wanted to make a signature weapon for my Halfling Bard in the vein of "Mega Man" - every death of a major enemy imbues the weapon with some of their power. I don't want it to get *too* overpowered (I'd rather have unique enchantments than OP ones), but I realize it will be a little over the top.

It'll be a Scimitar, and I'm looking for suggested enemies or enchantments - just thought it might be a fun exercise.

Here's who/what I have so far:

Baldur's Gate 1 & TotSC

- Firewine Ogre Mage - Becomes a +1 Weapon (Lame 'boss' but I needed something challenging but early for the enchantment, and it IS threatening a Halfling village, plus there's another bard present)

- Aec'Letec - Immunity to Gaze Attacks

- Karoug - Regeneration 1 ???

- Sarevok - Becomes a +2 weapon

Siege of Dragonspear

- Morentherene - +1 Poison Damage

- Belhifet - 10% per kill for Fire Shield (Red)

Baldur's Gate 2

- Shadow Dragon - 5% to Blind on Hit

- Firkraag - +1 Fire Damage

- Kangaxx - ???

- Prison Warden - Extra Attack (Only really doing this because the Bard's number of attacks)

- Twisted Rune - ???

- Bodhi - First time Becomes a +3 Weapon, Second time Negative Plane Protection

- Something in the Underdark probably - ???

- Nizidramanii'yt - +1 Acid Damage

- Irenicus - Increase Casting Speed

Throne of Bhaal & Watcher's Keep

- Yaga Shura - Becomes a +4 Weapon

- Abizigail - +1 Lightning Damage

- Sendai - ??? Something with Mirror Image or Mislead

- Amelyssan - Ends the Game

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited May 2019
    Good luck. The thing with this is that it’s rough to ‘add’ conditional effects to items like this, as you’d have to account for every possible combination which gets harder the more effects you add. You could do it via spell effects, I suppose, but it’ll be hard to display the stats in the description.

Edit: an easier way to put this is that you cannot simply add a +1 Fire damage effect to an existing item mid game, you have to create a carbon copy of the item under a different item name with a +1 Fire damage effect on top. Unless you get into conditional EFF files which can get really complicated.
  • dac0152dac0152 Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2019
    I was just gonna do it dirty - make a backup of tlk. Then copy/add effects over to the sword as needed in Near Infinity. Find some vague NPC item to use the strings for the description.

Edit: to your edit, I was pretty sure in NearInfinity, I could just add the effect under the Effects section. I swear I've done that before to a weapon. I'll test when I get home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Sounds fairly balanced to me. It would end up being stronger than a certain portion of endgame weapons, but it's still weaker than the likes of Soul Reaver, Celestial Fury, Carsomyr, the Staff of the Magi, the Flail of Ages, the Defender of Easthaven (in the hands of warriors, anyway; it's not as useful for a bard), or Crom Faeyr. Before ToB, it would actually be weaker than a lot of the nicer weapons around.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.