Skip to content

LAG in NWN:EE

I just bought the game on GOG and when in combat casting spells...so much LAG...its lame. I have windows 8.1 and updated my drivers. Turned down the visuals...still lag...my Platinum NWN is waaay better. Is there a patch for this? I love the cleaner graphics...but this lag issue is very bad in combat. Newbie here...sorry if this is posted already somewhere...so much on this forum hard to see a similar post on LAG issues here.
grom56RifleLeroy

Comments

• EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 152
    nwn 1.69 had 15 years to remove the lag, give it time
    Johnd
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    Lag has been a common issue with EE unfortunately. They claim the new render engine will solve this. But who knows when that will be released
    Johndgrom56
  • JohndJohnd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys...sigh
  • grom56grom56 Member Posts: 109
    edited May 2019
    Using Windows 10 here and the lag is just as bad if not worse. Simple things like going through a transition; opening up inventory; resting all can get hit with lag that seems to last minutes at times. If you have the mini map open, you can be stuck looking at a blank map for long enough to go grab a drink, or you can have a spot of fun walking your toon around and watching them turn to face the top of the screen when you stop, then once the lag clears, your toon will ReWalk all the steps you took while lagged! Now of course your party might not be lagged out, and wondering why you are just standing around... Best start a text group so you can fill them in when you toon has gone to the Grand Lag for a bit...
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    also note, that mods and workshop items can make the game lag as well

even on my i9 9900k and ROG strix 2080 ti this game would lag on my PC with some workshop items ( especially the "better looking" sky box type items )
    edited May 2019
    Interesting... I'm not a steam person, so I have no clue what their community is up nor what kind of workshop items they may have. It just adds strength to my belief that where BeamDog is concerned, steam folks and their wishes come first, those of us who bought the game from BD and use the Client stand somewhere in the background.... Ah well, thanks for the steam insight....
    Oh, and @JuliusBorisov , while I do appreciate the links, I don't do steam, so those were useless to me and the Forum link was to a year old thread on this very same issue. That thread seemed to suggest that to avoid lag in the new and shiny NWN-EE you need to turn off everything that makes it new and shiny.... So you are sort of saying we would all be better off going back to 1.69????????? I'm lost....
    RifleLeroy
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited May 2019
    grom56 wrote: »
    Oh, and @JuliusBorisov , while I do appreciate the links, I don't do steam, so those were useless to me and the Forum link was to a year old thread on this very same issue. That thread seemed to suggest that to avoid lag in the new and shiny NWN-EE you need to turn off everything that makes it new and shiny.... So you are sort of saying we would all be better off going back to 1.69????????? I'm lost....

The links themselves have nothing to do with Steam, it was just easier for me at the moment to find threads from that forum about the lag issue.

Yes, turning off "everything that makes it new and shiny" can help with performance. This is why the team decided to spend so much time and resources on the new renderer. Because the 2000ish period renderer just doesn't work, and makes NWN:EE lag on certain machines, or even crash.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    DerpCitygrom56
    Thank you for the answer @JuliusBorisov , truly that was an update I've been hoping for for a while now. I can now update the folks at the PW I play at and let them know, that it's not in their minds, they are not crazy... The EE game does lag and it's being worked on. Everyone from the Lead DM on down has been trying to figure out what THEY did wrong to cause all the lag. So thank you for giving us a clear answer.
    JuliusBorisov
  • tfoxtfox Member Posts: 87
    grom56 wrote: »
    Simple things like going through a transition; opening up inventory; resting all can get hit with lag that seems to last minutes at times. If you have the mini map open, you can be stuck looking at a blank map for long enough to go grab a drink, or you can have a spot of fun walking your toon around and watching them turn to face the top of the screen when you stop, then once the lag clears, your toon will ReWalk all the steps you took while lagged!

This sounds more like network connection issues between the player (might be ISP related) and the server or the server itself having performance issues and not something I've ever noticed on NWN:EE specifically except when my ISP craps out on me. The mini-map updating, transitioning between maps, the inventory displaying what your character owns, delay on resting, the rubberbanding (teleporting back and having to rewalk) are all server connectivity or server performance issues (hammering a servers database can do such even when connectivity isn't an issue).

I wanted to note that this is unlikely to be resolved by a mere render update, what we're hoping the render update will assist with is FPS lag, the stutteryness of turning the camera, the crashes to desktop and the like.

I'd highly recommend if you're experiencing the above on more then one NWN:EE server, contacting Beamdog on their Redmine and trying to get someone to assist you with looking into the issue. If you're only experiencing it on the one server and it's happening for a multitude of the servers player population it might be worth having the admins talk to support to see what they can do to look into the issue.

JuliusBorisovgrom56DrakonZwerkules