Skip to content

Serious declines in performance and playability for NWN:EE

0po0ia0po0ia Member Posts: 13
edited April 2018 in Technical Support
So I'm not really sure if the massive FPS drop and rubberbanding lag I get from playing EE is from the recent upshoot in players, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the client itself. NWN at 1.69 wouldn't lag at all under similar circumstances. Is there any form of remedial for this, some kind of patch? Honestly at this early stage in the game I'm severely disappointed. I'd like to be able to play NWN as I did in 1.69, but in EE I have to use the lowest graphical settings and still only get a fraction of the performance that I got in 1.69. There. Is. Something. Wrong. The graphical "improvements" made to the game shouldn't be having this much of an effect, especially when all the graphical settings are turned down in attempts to compensate for this. Please let me know if action will be taken to fix this issue, otherwise I see no reason to continue playing this game.

I apologize for seeming bitter in advance, but this is a serious drag. If anyone wants the specs for my computer I can post that soon.
Isewein

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hello!

The best way to handle it would be to wait till the QA replies to your ticket on support.baldursgate.com, as it all depends on the hardware and OS you use, as well as drivers (if you haven't filed one - please, do it).

We would suggest turning down the following settings, they tend to be the "pain points" which cause higher framerate issues. Let's see if we can't narrow down what's causing the primary issue here.

- Anti-Aliasing (requires a reset)
    - Ambient Occlusion
    -
    And one that is less of a hit, but sometimes makes it feel as such:

- Depth of Field

Also, do you use any custom content/mods etc?

Other suggestions:
    - try locking the vsync
    - try different audio settings

More threads on this subject:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67461/stuttering-while-playing
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/923703/#Comment_923703
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67275/is-it-laggy-in-combat-for-others
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/20900/discussions/0/364042703862230656/
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/704450/discussions/0/1697168437882926754/
  • 0po0ia0po0ia Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2018
    I have pretty much all of my settings turned down to the lowest possible or turned off. The only thing that's not at minimum is my resolution which is usually something like 1000x1600. I get my driver updated whenever it's available from the nvidia gforce experience thingy.
    I also went into my nwn ini and turned off my soundcard for the game, someone said this might help with lag, and at first it did but it seems like no matter what changes I make there are periods where the game reverts to literally 5-10 fps and also rubberbands like no other.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Have you reported it on support.baldursgate.com?
    I haven't reported it there, I reported it here because I thought this was the developer's forum. It's a general issue that lots of other players are experiencing.
  • NineveneNinevene Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2018
    Yeah i'm experiencing lag, makes the game unplayable. I've tried disabling every setting that makes this game look good and even then it keeps lagging.
    Post edited by Ninevene on
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    "General issues" can have very specific causes. Submitting a detailed bug report makes it a lot more likely that the underlying problem will be quickly found and fixed.
    JuliusBorisovAtrophiederic
    joluv said:

"General issues" can have very specific causes. Submitting a detailed bug report makes it a lot more likely that the underlying problem will be quickly found and fixed.

Exactly.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66998/how-to-report-bugs-you-find-in-nwn-ee
    Atrophiederic
    I think I found a fix for the lag. the host and dev of the server I play on said that if you go onto the NWN.INI and change your MaxTextureMemory from whatever it's set to, to 2048 (mine was originally 64) This seems to have fixed ALL of my lag issues.
    JuliusBorisov
  • NineveneNinevene Member Posts: 5
    That didn't fix it for me.
    edited April 2018
    I thought that MaxTextureMemory thing helped me.. but apparently I was mistaken. My FPS still drops to a crawl for seemingly no reason. I'd give more details if I could thought I could spot a trend as to what causes my lag, but I really can't, and it's frustrating.

I made a post on the baldur's gate forum, but I don't think I've gotten a response yet. Most of the stuff posted there doesn't pertain to performance issues with the game, which I find odd since 95% of the population on servers I play on complains about the performance being so bad that the game is "unplayable" in situations where it would NEVER lag in 1.69.

If anyone else knows of fixes please let us know...
    Post edited by 0po0ia on
    JuliusBorisov
    The best bet would be to create a report on support.baldursgate.com so that our programmers/QA could come up with direct advice based on your system specs and drivers.
    Atrophiederic
  • DrakonDrakon Member Posts: 47
    There is a submenu hidden behind a button inside Video Settings with 4 checkboxes. Those are the EE graphical changes. Uncheck all four. This instantly got rid of all lagginess on my Mac, and may also help Linux and Windows users (my Windows 10 runs smooth though).
  • grom56grom56 Member Posts: 109
    It is now May 2019 and there has been nothing beyond this thread said or done about this lag issue. In fact I was sent to check out this thread by @JuliusBorisov when I replied to more posts about the bad lag STILL going on! Sorry, but I don't see how a year old thread about an issue that has now been on going for over a year is gonna help.....
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    WIN 7 here brought the game on GOG...To me the only solution to get a decent frame rate is to disable almost all the EE graphic imporvment and import into my override folder the EE_Familiar_Glitter_Removal.
    Let's say my 1.69 run way better than the EE except for the horses.
    grom56 wrote: »
    It is now May 2019 and there has been nothing beyond this thread said or done about this lag issue. In fact I was sent to check out this thread by @JuliusBorisov when I replied to more posts about the bad lag STILL going on! Sorry, but I don't see how a year old thread about an issue that has now been on going for over a year is gonna help.....

Yes, because the new renderer is still being developed. It started its development as a way to address all this lagging/crashing concerns, after dozens of users provided detailed reports about their system, patterns for lags/crashes, haks/mods they use, etc.
    RifleLeroy wrote: »
    WIN 7 here brought the game on GOG...To me the only solution to get a decent frame rate is to disable almost all the EE graphic imporvment and import into my override folder the EE_Familiar_Glitter_Removal.
    Let's say my 1.69 run way better than the EE except for the horses.

Yes, this is what can help. Once the new renderer is done and implemented, it all will be addressed properly. We're sorry that it's taking so much time.