Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    edited May 2019
    @Skatan
    Post edited to show FLUTE not LUTE.
    Also, I’m going back to kindergarten to learn how to read. May be a while before the teacher lets me start writing again, so have fun without me guys!
    This seems like a familiar problem. Your dwarf isn’t naked, is he?
    ashafetovSkatanThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    edited May 2019
    Will check is highly likely failed as Nareth has Intelligence 9 (0) and Wisdom 13 (+1)

Nareth gazes strict in Colden's eyes, and looks down after a second. Indeed, the Lorekeeper was right, but the Captain could not fully agree:

" Aye, as ya command, M'Lord Colden, but henceforth I listen to ye orders and only yours. So it’s up to ya whether ya listen to the woman or not. Maybe even a good lass she is, I don't know. I really wants to believe that I’m wrong and have nothing to beware of. Maybe as the years go by, I’ve become paranoid. "

The sounds of Colden's flute distract Nareth from his suspicions. They carry thoughts away from the cold and dangers. He slaps Jirt on the shoulder in a friendly way. The soldier's singing is terrible, but it brings back memories of youth, campaigns and the usual soldier's routine. At the same time, the singing of Garta awakens determination, readiness to die for ideals and love of freedom.

Nareth prodded the march thoughtfully, remaining at the tail of the squad and plunging into his distant thoughts and memories. The weather gets worse and he wraps his cloak around himself tighter, protecting himself from the wind.
    Post edited by ashafetov on
    SkatanThacoBelllolienRik_Kirtaniya
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    *Lagrord flops down on the floor next to Colden, exhausted and feet on fire*

"Master Cramnoch" *He speaks softly* "I brought a surprise for you"

*With a big grin he produces a bottle of Colden's favorite wine*
    I can't figure out how I want to format Lagrord's thoughts. I have asterisks pulling double duty right now, but that gets muddled. What do you guys all think?
    mashedtatersSkatanashafetovRik_Kirtaniya
    as dm, I’m not too worried about the formatting. I think everyone is using a different style, and that’s totally ok.
    SkatanashafetovlolienRik_Kirtaniya
    Reaching the shelter, Nareth dumps his luggage onto the dry rocky floor of the cave. Backpack, buckler and saddle bags fall heavily and falls lean to the side. Nareth takes out his own tools for making fire and cooking, simultaneously unrolling a sleeping mat on the cave floor. Inside the cavern it became suddenly warm and cozy, especially after the sounds of Colden's flute, the crackles of fire and quiet conversations and jokes of Jirt and Kefto. The captain silently approaches the fire and lays out his utensils for general use and calmly looks at the fire. The blazes of the flame make fancifully grotesque patterns all over his face and Nareth looks even more thoughtful. Fatigue rolls and the pleasant atmosphere of this cave relaxes and soothes the nerves. It is time to rest, perhaps this is the very last minutes before the storm.
    lolienSkatanThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
    "We're not alone! Something big is behind us! With tentacles!"

*Lagrord struggles to be heard over the storm and rises to protect Colden*
    mashedtatersSkatanashafetovRik_Kirtaniya
    *Lagrord does his best to drag Colden away from the source of the dust*
    SkatanashafetovRik_Kirtaniya
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Colden screams in pain as something hard hits his shoulder. He falls to the ground and wriggles around in agony for a while. Unaccustomed to sharp pain of this sort it takes a minute to get his bearing. He can hear and sense Lagrord trying to reach and help him but can't see past the veil of dark.

Colden casts his Light cantrip hoping to shed some luminescence and aid his comrades. As soon as that is done, Colden begins to sing as high and strong as he can. Being a lorekeeper bard, singing is not his forte, but his old teachings rush up inside him and his voice is clear and strong. He hopes his singing can rally the troops around him and with his Light to guide them, they should be able to use light and sound as a beacon.
    ThacoBellashafetovlolienRik_Kirtaniya
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Sus'Ann sees Kefto felling to the ground when a large branch, blown by the wind, smashing into his hip and throwing him to the ground.
    Then the tree falls and the impact knockes her from her feet. While the dwarven women stands up without injuries she hears the second screaming but sees nothing. She can make the general direction where Kefto fell however, so she grabs her quarterstaff and goes to check that location.
    ashafetovSkatanThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
    edited May 2019
    Taken by surprise, Nareth throws off his luggage onto the ground and with a sharp movement draws his weapon. Old captain takes a protective stance with sword and shield in his left hand.

" Ambush! To arms! " - his cry is sinking in a gust of dust wind. He hears distant cries and turns back, waiting for attack from behind. Slowly Nareth moves in the direction of Colden and the others. His cape's hood covers his nose and mouth and he squints his eyes, protecting himself from dust. But it helps a little, though.

Suddenly, he hears Colden's song and moves in direction of the sound's source, using it as a guide. Nareth tries to stay alert, although it is very difficult. He is backing away, awaiting attack from the rear of the squad.
    Post edited by ashafetov on
    SkatanlolienThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
    Lagrord struggles through the spinning darkness and wind until he sees the faint outline of Colden’s cantrip and hears the faint singing. After tripping and gettin bowled over by the wind a few times, he finally reached his master and pulls him away from the tree.

Though Colden’s singing is faint, it serves its intended purpose. Music fills the hearts of his companions and they see and hear a little more clearly.

Sus’Ann makes her way to Kefto. She feels around him and notices he is unconscious. The branch that hit him wasn’t too large. She feels warm and sticky fluid on his head and surmises that the fall must have knocked him senseless.

Nareth stumbles a few times, but his strength and confidence in dangerous situations puts him by Colden’s and Lagrord’s side without too much difficulty. Then Jirt is there, but there is no sign of Garta.
    ThacoBelllolienashafetovRik_Kirtaniya
    *Lagrord is terrified. He has been the target of agression before, but this whole experience is brand new. No politics, familiar walls, no people. Just the uncaring wilderness, and the unknown. He always considered himself clever and quick thinking. But now, he doesn't know what to do.*
    mashedtaterslolienashafetovRik_Kirtaniya
    "I-uh...yes, master Cramnoch."

*Lagrord slowly and carefully makes his way closer to the...thing. He can't bring himself to get closer than couple hundred feet*

Sigh, did the others have to be present? I can't exaclt say, "No master, I'd rather not." in front of others. I'm just a "slave" to them.
    Okay, italics will be Lagrord's thoughts from here on out. Also, that thing is totally a giant Graboid. Calling it now.
    SkatanmashedtatersRik_Kirtaniyalolien