Skip to content

Marlowe Won't Speak to Me after Fight

MoonLogicMoonLogic Member Posts: 3
I am in the desert city in Throne of Bhaal, trying to save the father from his Faustian bargain. But Marlowe won't initiate dialogue with me after I slay the lich. If I go to his daughter, she bemoans her father's death.

He not dead. He mute.

This is a tricky fight. I've done it successfully twice. The first time I turned Marlowe invisible to keep him safe and thought that was the problem, but he does not speak this time around either.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    This sounds like it would be easy enough for me to figure out and fix. Could you upload your save file so I can take a look at it?
  • MoonLogicMoonLogic Member Posts: 3
    Thank you so much.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Amazing! There appears to be a legacy bug involved in this quest... That is a bug that has been present in the game from the original version that no one has ever noticed or fixed in any fix pack or patch. These bugs are very rare because most of the issues with the game are either relatively new or previously known about.

@MoonLogic I have fixed your save file. Marlowe should now talk to you as soon as you load the game. Enjoy the rest of your game.

@Balquo the issue appears to be that both Marlowe's script and his dialog are looking for an incorrect variable. If you bring Marlowe to the lich by telling him the truth about the lich still being alive then the "LichJob" global variable gets set to 3. If you bring Marlowe to the lich by tricking him into thinking the lich is already dead, then the "LichJob" global variable gets set to 2. If you choose to save Marlowe from the lich after doing either of these things, then Marlowe's script and dialog will look for the "LichJob" Global variable to be greater than 2; i.e. GlobalGT("LichJob","GLOBAL",2); as part of a trigger for Marlowe to dialog with the PC about being saved from the lich. If you tricked Marlowe, then the quest breaks because Marlowe will be unable to dialog with the PC after the lich is dead. The script and dialog should look for the "LichJob" global variable to be greater than 1; i.e GlobalGT("LichJob","GLOBAL",1); instead.
  • MoonLogicMoonLogic Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2019
    Thank you so much! I named my character after Eshu the African trickster god, so tricking people is what I do, though I did not want to give away someone's, even if he is a scumbag father.

This will be the first time ever I complete ToB. It's been a very long time coming. Wish me luck :smile: