Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Did you like the hooded man figure voiceacting?

ArthasArthas Member Posts: 905

1) Was checking this video and honestly it seems like it is lacking on soul. Like if he is reading, but he is sort of reading it for kids not able to understand. Like if he is trying to say everything slowly to let you catch the meaning of what he says, but in an artificial manner. Am I the only one thinking this?

2) Do you know what it means when he says "you have half a god in your blood" at 18:50? People seem to read this like if you have half of Bhaal's essence in you, but I don't think so.

[Deleted User]MERLANCE
«1

Comments

  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,724
    I do feel like he rambles on for too long at times, but I figure that it's just fanservice for those who wanted more David Warner.

    Skatansmeagolheart[Deleted User]MERLANCE
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 202
    I find his implantation lacking, there should be more options to call him out on being ssssoooo mysterious, tell him to clear off etc - but Warner himself is quality

    OrlonKronsteen
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 233
    edited May 28
    Isewein wrote: »
    I actually think that in a narrative sense of the Trilogy as a whole, we wouldn't perceive it so much as rambling or fanservice if the games had been published in chronological order. It has always been odd how BG2, the central part of the trilogy, was essentially a diversion in the story of the Bhaalspawn's ascent to power. Introducing Irenicus as an antagonist earlier on serves to tie him more deeply into that overarching narrative, so I'm enjoying his appearance in SoD. On the other hand, I imagine it does cheapen the experience of the first level of BG2 for new players a bit. I remember its complete disorientation, having to uncover piece by piece how you had gone from Hero of Baldur's Gate to a madman's prisoner, as genuinely terrifying.

    Jon Irenicus is no ordinary mad man, though. He is a highly intelligent psychopath, not a delusional nut job, which is why he is tracking your PC. However, he needs "the perfect Bhaalspawn" for his aims. If the target doesn't have enough power, they can't be used, eliminating the horde of wannebes that end up killing rats in the garden instead of going to war. On the other hand, the ones who have a lot tend to know it and use it, like Saravok, the Five, etc., making them troublesome and likely to be missed. Because of PC's upbringing, they are unaware of their power, yet contain a tremendous amount of it, which is exactly what Irenicus is looking for. His appearance in SoD is precisely that sort of probing and exploring to gauge if you are the Bhaalspawn he is looking for. He just needs to make sure you aren't missed.

    If I had a problem with his character, it's that he seems to be goading the PC into really exploring that untapped potential. Perhaps there is an entirely selfish reason for it, but it's never made clear whether he has an ulterior goal in those chats or whether he really is offended that you aren't trying to live up to your heritage. I think it's why, even though he is the main villain in BG2, I had a degree of respect for his character - even to the end. As villains go, Irenicus was actually one of the better ones.

    As for the latter part, it's never really explored in BG2. In fact, I can't recall a single conversation where your predicament is explained fully. Which is probably how SoD got greenlit in the first place.

    ThacoBell
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 118
    Of course, but the first impression one used to get was that of a madman. Which made the later reveal of his intricate plans even more exciting. That is a bit lost on new players, I imagine.

    I interpreted his insistence to try and stir the taint within Charname and Imoen as something that would make it easier for him to separate Taint and Divine Essence so he could take the latter for himself... but that his calculation obviously went off a bit when Charname managed to preserve a part of their soul (the dream fight against Bhaal in Candlekeep) and the Taint broke through even stronger (Slayer transformation). Basically Irenicus, for all his intelligence, is operating in uncharted territory here (wouldn't imagine there's a "how to steal divine souls for dummies" at hand even in Spellhold).

    There were some conversations with Bodhi and Aran Linvail which hinted at your capture but yes, most of it was left to the player's imagination.

  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,778
    edited May 29
    i'm just surpirsed he could still do the voice given his age. unlike everyone else where you can tell they are older and have not done the vo in awhile. the hooded man sounds the most consistent when you go from sod to 2.

    ThacoBell
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,778
    Isewein wrote: »
    I actually think that in a narrative sense of the Trilogy as a whole, we wouldn't perceive it so much as rambling or fanservice if the games had been published in chronological order. It has always been odd how BG2, the central part of the trilogy, was essentially a diversion in the story of the Bhaalspawn's ascent to power. Introducing Irenicus as an antagonist earlier on serves to tie him more deeply into that overarching narrative, so I'm enjoying his appearance in SoD. On the other hand, I imagine it does cheapen the experience of the first level of BG2 for new players a bit. I remember its complete disorientation, having to uncover piece by piece how you had gone from Hero of Baldur's Gate to a madman's prisoner, as genuinely terrifying.

    yes i agree. if you play the series in order sod is where you really start thinking about your heritage. and here is a man who is informing you of your destiney and seems to have your best intrest at heart until the end.

    for me it goes like this
    bg1: your normal your just an adventurer and then you find out who you are but you have no time to process it due to having to take down seravok
    sod: you start thinking about what being a bhaalspawn means. then the events happen leading to bg 2 and you get kidnapped
    bg2: you start to accept what it means to be a bhaal spawn and what it truly means.
    tob: you have accept your role and it's time to face your destiny.

    ThacoBell
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    It's about the only decent voice acting in SoD.

    DJKajuru
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 9,322
    edited May 29
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    It's about the only decent voice acting in SoD.

    If you ignore M'Khiin, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid, Dorn, Caelar, really, everyone BUT Entar and Mizheena.

    megamike15DJKajurusemiticgodJuliusBorisov
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 316
    I like the hooded man lines and voiceacting, and David Warner is a professional actor. There :)

    JuliusBorisov
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    It's about the only decent voice acting in SoD.

    If you ignore M'Khiin, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid, Dorn, Caelar, really, everyone BUT Entar and Mizheena.

    De gustibus etc. If I compare any of the new voices with BG2 Imoen, Keldorn, Anomen... They fall short.

  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 18,610
    edited May 30
    @Gatekeep3r Voices behind Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid in SoD are the same voices you hear in BG1 and BG2. For me personally Jennifer Hale pulled another masterpiece with her SoD Dynaheir, I don't think it's different from FemShep, Mazzy and BG1 Dynaheir. Jim Cummings sounds simply amazing. Will never forget the moment I heard Minsc in SoD for the first time (it was in a trailer for SoD). Sounded exactly like 20 years ago. And Jim Meskimen too, of course (Edwin and Khalid). And Kevin Michael Richardson (narrator, Sarevok).

    That said, comparing voices is a bit like comparing art. There can't be just one reply. Glint by Jacob Burgess is among my most favourite voice-acting in gaming.

    megamike15ThacoBellBaptor
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,778
    well jim's minsc sounds different in all the games so at lest he is being consistent.

    [Deleted User]
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 9,322
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    It's about the only decent voice acting in SoD.

    If you ignore M'Khiin, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid, Dorn, Caelar, really, everyone BUT Entar and Mizheena.

    De gustibus etc. If I compare any of the new voices with BG2 Imoen, Keldorn, Anomen... They fall short.

    Its the same actors doing the same voices. Also, Glint's vo is masterful. So no, they don't fall short. Check your nostalgia.

    megamike15JuliusBorisovSkatan[Deleted User]
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 1,581
    I like his voice acting and his actual dialogue, I just don't think his presence in SOD is a good idea altogether until the very end imho.

    [Deleted User]
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    edited May 31
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    It's about the only decent voice acting in SoD.

    If you ignore M'Khiin, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid, Dorn, Caelar, really, everyone BUT Entar and Mizheena.

    De gustibus etc. If I compare any of the new voices with BG2 Imoen, Keldorn, Anomen... They fall short.

    Its the same actors doing the same voices. Also, Glint's vo is masterful. So no, they don't fall short. Check your nostalgia.

    The same actors don't sound the same years later. Your tone is absolutely uncalled for. I dislike most of the voice acting in SoD and you don't. Can we leave it at that? There's no arguing about tastes and colors. You won't magically convince me to like ssomething I don't.
    megamike15 wrote: »
    you know mabey it's a good thing i did not get into this series until like 2012. so i have no real nostalgia for the games might be why sod does not bother me either.

    Probably, yes. I still remember starting my first BG2 game and hearing Imoen for the first time ("Something up?"). It sounded so much more polished and professional compared to BG1.

    [Deleted User]
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 1,821
    edited June 4
    Hmmm. I think the voice acting is okay, it's more the mere existence and presence of the hooded man that irks me. I feel he is totally out of place in the whole game and if possible I would play SoD with his content removed (a mod please....).

    Entar with the fake French is much worse considering his daughter has no accent at all.

    sarevok57Permidion_Stark
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 9,322
    edited June 4
    The dialog during the opening of BG2, it sounds like he knows quite a bit about you already. It makes perfect sense to me to have him present in SoD in some form. Removing one or two instances where he directly addresses you might have improved the pacing of his appreances though.

    [Deleted User]
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 1,821
    edited June 4
    Perhaps, but
    I expected much less prominence, and definitely a different guise wrt bg2 spellhold. The dreams make no sense to me since bg2 suggests his appearance there is a first. In addition, certain manifestations within his sideshow spoil too much for bg2: Slayer shape in SoD when it comes as a complete surprise to charname in bg2, really now...

    Still, great performance.

    sarevok57
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    lroumen wrote: »
    Hmmm. I think the voice acting is okay, it's more the mere existence and presence of the hooded man that irks me. I feel he is totally out of place in the whole game and if possible I would play SoD with his content removed (a mod please....).

    Entar with the fake French is much worse considering his daughter has no accent at all.

    Entar was disappointing for me. Back in the 90s I remember just really liking his name and reputation.

    [Deleted User]
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,778
    lroumen wrote: »
    Perhaps, but
    I expected much less prominence, and definitely a different guise wrt bg2 spellhold. The dreams make no sense to me since bg2 suggests his appearance there is a first. In addition, certain manifestations within his sideshow spoil too much for bg2: Slayer shape in SoD when it comes as a complete surprise to charname in bg2, really now...

    Still, great performance.

    i would not say it's spoiling anything
    the slayer is blurry because it's trying to come out. and jon or rather bhaal is trying to make it come out but your resisting it subconsciously.

    ThacoBell
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 195
    edited June 4
    I've not finished SoD yet, I've a couple of chapters to go still. But I would comment so far that the hooded man is used a little too much and that lessens his narrative impact in SoD. His voice acting is excellent, however.

  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,778
    AMP1972 wrote: »
    Flashburn wrote: »
    I do feel like he rambles on for too long at times, but I figure that it's just fanservice for those who wanted more David Warner.

    I would actually (always) prefer good roleplaying to worshiping supposedly famous ones. I really think one can overdose on narcissism and sexual innuendo. And who is David Warner, that we 'must' expect him to be a big role (I would daresay Elminster's toilet cleaner?) ??? ;)

    david warnar is a famous actor who i known for playing over the top villlains. he was also in fallout 1 so this was not the first time black isle even used him.

    ThacoBell[Deleted User]semiticgod
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,025
    I felt it was similar to Vader's voice in Rogue One. You can hear it's the same guy, but he sound older. I also think that delivery was quite different. Hooded Man speaks slower and more... deliberate, I would say, there is more emphasis on every word. On the other hand, Irenicus has more intense, sometimes almost frantic speech. That's what I hear, anyway.

    [Deleted User]DreadKhan
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,844
    I found he gave a bit too much info, but was entertaining enough. I suspect on a true first playthrough I'd find him very cool, yet a little immersion breaking, despite it being technically very well performed. I think the writing was a smidge heavy handed, but I knew BG2 very well by this time, despite taking a long hiatus from BG2.

  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,778
    edited June 9
    Artona wrote: »
    I felt it was similar to Vader's voice in Rogue One. You can hear it's the same guy, but he sound older. I also think that delivery was quite different. Hooded Man speaks slower and more... deliberate, I would say, there is more emphasis on every word. On the other hand, Irenicus has more intense, sometimes almost frantic speech. That's what I hear, anyway.

    i did not really see that much of a difference when going to sod to bg 2. the slower speech may be deliberate as he is trying to seem unassuming. so when his plan is under way he drops the act.
    him talking down to Hephernaan, the bg 2 him is clearly still there. he has no reason to put up the act as he knows who the person he is talking to works for so he can be smug.

    Post edited by megamike15 on
    ThacoBellDreadKhan[Deleted User]
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 416
    Yeah, that's pretty much the feeling I got from the Hooded Man in SoD too. I thought David Warner's performance was still excellent; powerful and underlaid with a vague sense of menace, but... The Hooded Man seems a lot less INTENSE in SoD, less driven, compared to how Irenicus behaves in BG2. The Hooded Man seems to regard Gorion's Ward almost with dispassion at times, like a teacher sort of checking in on a student (one of many) and being disappointed with their progress. The change in his focus between the two games feels a bit sudden; perhaps it could have been better ameliorated if SoD had been longer and we could have seen the Hooded Man's interest in the Ward slowly growing. Up until the very end, it felt like he was still deciding between Caelar and the Bhaalspawn, and he only chose the Bhaalspawn because Caelar was now dead/unreachable.

    [Deleted User]
Sign In or Register to comment.