Skip to content

Direct connect and UDP failed.

Whenever I try to log into a certain server, I get the following message:

"Attempting to find server. Direct connect and UDP failed. Requesting relay token. No response from any available relay. Connection to the server has failed."

I can log into this server fine on my DSL account, but always get the above error message when logging in on my wireless internet (AT&T Homebase). I can log into other servers fine from the Homebase, but not this one in particular. The DM has enabled uPnP and it still did not work. I tried forwarding the NWN ports on my end with no results. I can log into other games just fine. Is it an incorrect setting serverside? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• AvatarOfWarAvatarOfWar Member Posts: 9
    I posted this same exact thing and got no help whatsoever. I still get this error message half the time I try to run NWN multiplayer.

I couldn't help but notice though, that we both have AT&T wireless internet, although the service and hardware differs.
  • QuasimojoQuasimojo Member Posts: 4
    I had read somewhere about the wireless being less secure and NAT was tighter on it. If I run Dying Light, it says my NAT is moderate and I have no issues connecting to anything there. The odd thing is that I can connect to other NWN servers with no problems at all. I was on the phone with AT&T for about 2 hours yesterday with a few different techs and they had no clue at all. This is very frustrating. Are you able to connect to certain NWN servers but not others...consistently?
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    The relay should be fixed and available I am told.
  • QuasimojoQuasimojo Member Posts: 4
    Looks like it is working now. Thanks.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Excellent :)
  • ilb89ilb89 Member Posts: 5
    I'm having this problem right now
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @ilb89 Can you please provide more details? Which server are you attempting to connect to?
    edited May 2019
    @ilb89 Can you please provide more details? Which server are you attempting to connect to?

Sorry I didn't checked for an answer earlier, but still after 10 days, can't join ANY server (I try a few random ones every time with no luck) this is what I get when trying to join an online server
    QJ3dYuK.png

And this is what my log file says when trying to join for example to the server that I'm actually interested:
    nwsync: Migrations currently applied: 0
    nwsync: Applying migration: schema
    nwsync: Migration applied: schema
    nwsync: Shard 0 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 1 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 2 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 3 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 4 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 5 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 6 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 7 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 8 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 9 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 10 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 11 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 12 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 13 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 14 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 15 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 16 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 17 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 18 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 19 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 20 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 21 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 22 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 23 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 24 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 25 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 26 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 27 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 28 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 29 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Shard 30 available, Space Used: 24 KB
    nwsync: Storage at C:\Users\Leonel\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\nwsync\, Provider=1, Compression=2
    Error: 40964
    GOG: Error: GalaxyRuntimeError, Failed to get current game language
    Game is using local port: 65303
    GOG: Authentication failed: 0
    Requesting relay access to connect to 87.98.216.79:5121

I tried both launching the game from Steam, uninstalling and using the Beamdog launcher instead, but nothing changed
    I tried port forwarding the port that is shown on the logs, and since it seems to be randomized, I opened ALL ports from the router
    Windows firewall isn't the problem either
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Check out our developer reply here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1062160/#Comment_1062160

Seems like there's some kind of firewall or network filter in place that prevents udp communication from working on your end.
    Check out our developer reply here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1062160/#Comment_1062160

Seems like there's some kind of firewall or network filter in place that prevents udp communication from working on your end.

I gave it another try, after a few failures at joining this time I (correctly) opened all ports from 5000 to 65535 and it works... the problem seems to be the following line:
    Game is using local port: 40934

Every time the game launches it seems that its picking a random port number instead of a fixed one (For example, on my previous comment, it was 65303)
    Is there any way to set a fixed port for the game? Since leaving 50k ports open its like a sin to me since my job consists on network security :P

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    ilb89 wrote: »

I gave it another try, after a few failures at joining this time I (correctly) opened all ports from 5000 to 65535 and it works... the problem seems to be the following line:

Every time the game launches it seems that its picking a random port number instead of a fixed one (For example, on my previous comment, it was 65303)
    Is there any way to set a fixed port for the game? Since leaving 50k ports open its like a sin to me since my job consists on network security :P

Hello,

please make sure you allow and correctly route udp inbound traffic to previously-established outgoing traffic (i.e. employ conntrack and dont reject related packets). Almost all routers and firewalls would be configured this way by default as it is essential to have UDP traffic work on most applications.

You can set [Profile] Client Port=nnnn in nwnplayer.ini to always use a fixed port, but this is strictly speaking not a supported usecase for the game network protocol and may provide you with additional Fun down the road.

Thanks!

niv wrote: »
    ilb89 wrote: »

Hello,

please make sure you allow and correctly route udp inbound traffic to previously-established outgoing traffic (i.e. employ conntrack and dont reject related packets). Almost all routers and firewalls would be configured this way by default as it is essential to have UDP traffic work on most applications.

You can set [Profile] Client Port=nnnn in nwnplayer.ini to always use a fixed port, but this is strictly speaking not a supported usecase for the game network protocol and may provide you with additional Fun down the road.

Thanks!

Hi,

I tried setting the port on nwnplayer.ini but it keeps selecting one at random, and the next time I open the file it went back to "Client Port=0"