Skip to content

Did You Know - Modding Thread

OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
edited June 2019 in General Modding
Did you know?

*Giving a character the ankheg sprite lets them burrow just like an ankheg does. They will stay underground as long as they aren't attacking someone. They can actually cast spells while burrowing without coming up.

*The effect that let's the Wizard Eye clear the fog of war will do the same thing if put on a neutral or enemy creature. You'll be able to see what that creature sees, even if there are no allies nearby. You could make a divination spell that lets the wizard see through the eyes of the target.

*If you make an effect that modifies damage resistance so that it sets the resistance to a percent, and you set the percent to a negative number, you can invert the target's resistances. For example, if you give someone who has 50% fire resistance an effect that multiplies its fire resistance by -100%, that creature will become 50% weak to fire. You could make a spell that inverts all the target's damage resistances in this way.

*If you give a shaman protection from opcode 363, they will be able to move while dancing.

*You can do some cool things with opcode 366. When a creature with the effect moves, the effect casts a spell on the creature and then the effect goes away. However, you can make it so that one of the effects of the spell is another opcode 366 effect, so you can cast the spell over and over again while moving. I gave my character such an effect. When she moves, she automatically casts a spell which gives her the same ability as well as a wing buffet effect, pushing her away from the target, which is where she was at the moment the spell was cast. She can't move without skidding all over Candlekeep. I just figured out how to make ice physics in Baldur's Gate!

Do any of you know any other cool tricks or any modding trivia?
Post edited by OlvynChuru on
JuliusBorisovGrammarsaladRavenslightMantis37

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited November 2016

*The effect that let's the Wizard Eye clear the fog of war will do the same thing if put on a neutral or enemy creature. You'll be able to see what that creature sees, even if there are no allies nearby. You could make a divination spell that lets the wizard see through the eyes of the target.

But, but... how could you target that enemy in the first place??
    Well, you'd have to cast it on something that you can see. And then you could (presumably) cast it on another thing that that creature sees. It'd have to have a very long spell range to do it though.

This reminds me of a spell back in Everquest. It let you shift your vision to the target. EQ being an MMO, you could use an F-key (I think F9) to change your view into various third person views, where you could then target a new thing. This did have some importance for crowd control, especially in raids, where a group of critters would be untargetable just around a corner, but by seeing what a a critter just ahead sees, you could see around corners and have them already picked out individually by the people to handle each critter.

The spell had essentially an unlimited range and you didn't have to be able to see that target, just have it targeted. A few spells were like that, ignoring world geometry.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

*Giving a character the ankheg sprite lets them burrow just like an ankheg does. They will stay underground as long as they aren't attacking someone. They can actually cast spells while burrowing without coming up.

Heh, you should've seen the first testing of neothelid AI. Its breath weapon made as a SPL, and it slipped my mind the ugly tentacle may try casting without emerging first. I was like, what the hell, did it just fart from underground? :D
    NoobaccaRaduzielelminster
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

But, but... how could you target that enemy in the first place??
    Lol, sd, we actually use that trick (in the animal eyes and eyes of the dead spells)
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited November 2016
    One of the cooler tricks I've found is with the healing opcode. Set param to 2 and you can heal an ally based upon that allies maximum hit points. Thus, you can make low level heals relevant at higher levels. Higher level heal spells merely heal a higher percentage of the targets hit points.

Though, I suppose that it's not new as i believe that the heal spell works this way
    Aquadrizzt
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Did you know that you can stop Mislead from keeping the character permanently invisible? In MISLEAD.SPL (which is automatically cast on the Mislead clone when it's created), put a "Remove Effects By Opcode" effect which should remove opcode 237 ("Set Image Type"), matching a parameter 2 value of 1.

If you do this, Mislead will just grant normal improved invisibility.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I was looking for new spells idea. This thread gave me two already.

May I borrow them, @OlvynChuru ?
    OlvynChuru
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @Raduziel Sure!

Here's something else I found today. The bug with ankhegs not emerging to cast spells can be solved by using opcode 138 ("Play Animation Sequence") with parameter 2 set to 14 (SEQ_EMERGE, which ankhegs use to come out from the ground). Then one could patch all spells to have a casting feature Use EFF File effect that applies a Play Animation Sequence effect if the creature's race is an ankheg.

It would be interesting to have a druid kit whose main feature is to be able to shapeshift into an ankheg.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Did you know
    Yes, yes I did. :smile:
    OlvynChuruBubb
    Grammarsalad