Skip to content

AD&D General Mechanics

_Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
@Raduziel

OK, let's continue here our discussion....

So, Hit Die refers also to the level the creature is supposed to be.... This means that Umber Hulks are always a level 8 creature and Goblins a level 1 creature.... But does this rule apply if the creature under consideration is, say, a FIGHTER (i.e., a playable class)? I'm asking because in SoD there are certain goblins coded as level 2/3 FIGHTERs....
Raduziel

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Raduziel wrote: »
    No, these rules apply only to "generic" creatures. Nothing prohibits a DM to creater a Lv 15 Goblin, but for those it is good practice to give a class.

Yep, Monster Manual Hit Dice are guidelines for the average sort of creature you would find of that type. Creatures usually not considered playable races can still gain class levels, and starting from 3rd Edition onward, there are unique prestige classes for non standard races, like ogres and faeries. In 2nd edition there are usually strict limits on what kind and what type of class levels creatures can gain though, for example goblin shamans only reach 7th level. This is still more of a suggestion rather than a hard rule, though.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    In 2nd Edition there are kits that can be only be given to so called non standard races.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    OK, thank you both for this info.

So, generally speaking, goblins (or any non-playable race) can be of any level provided they're given a playable CLASS => That's why some SoD goblins are level 3 (instead of just 1): they're FIGHTERs :)
    RAM021
    Long story short, yes.

The playable race is not necessary, though. A DM may create a 10 HD Goblin and call it a day.

The MC only gives a north for the DM.
    SCARY_WIZARD
    edited June 2019
    Long story short, yes.

The playable race is not necessary, though. A DM may create a 10 HD Goblin and call it a day.

I see. Of course in such cases only HPs will get adjusted accordingly (since generally speaking THAC0 and AC don't scale with level) => for instance, a 10 HD goblin would have 10d8=10-80 hit points with the same THAC0 and AC of a standard 1 HD goblin
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited June 2019
    Luke93 wrote: »
    for instance, a 10 HD goblin would have 10d8=10-80 hit points

Fixed that for you...

Thac0 scales with HD using the fighter table. Generally. If a creature has a class, and thus gets actual levels, then thac0 scales acording to that class.

I see, so it's like saving throws => to sum up, this means that a 10 HD goblin would have 10-80 hit points, THAC0 11, Saves 8/10/9/9/11 if it's not given a particular playable CLASS. Otherwise, I should refer to that particular class table.
    You may also alter the creature's number of attacks if you're feeling specially cruel.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    You may also alter the creature's number of attacks if you're feeling specially cruel.

Warrior classes, Specialization and Mastery can all add additional APR.
    edited August 2019
    for instance, a 10 HD goblin would have 10d8=10-80 hit points

Fixed that for you...

Is that correct? I mean, according to the manual, a goblin has a Hit Dice of 1-1 (1 minus 1...?). So a 10 HD goblin would actually have 10d8-1=9–79, right?
    10d8-10, I think.

Each HD of a goblin is a "d7".

If 1HD is 1d8-1, 10HD would be 10d8-10.

Not sure, though. Haven't played for a while.
    edited September 2019
    10d8-10, I think.

The manual states that "Some monsters have a hit point spread instead of Hit Dice, and some have additional points added to their Hit Dice. Thus, a creature with 4+4 Hit Dice has 4d8+4 hit points (8-36 total)."

If the same applies to that "minus" (i.e., that "-1" is considered as "additional points"), then it should be 10d8-1 (9–79 total......)
    Raduziel
    10d8-10, I think.

The manual states that "Some monsters have a hit point spread instead of Hit Dice, and some have additional points added to their Hit Dice. Thus, a creature with 4+4 Hit Dice has 4d8+4 hit points (8-36 total)."

If the same applies to that "minus" (i.e., that "-1" is considered as "additional points"), then it should be 10d8-1 (9–79 total......)

That seals the discussion. Thanks for refreshing my memory.