Skip to content

Non-detection spell: What does it do?

AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
The description of this spell is wrong. However, there is very little information about it online, and the little there is, is quite contradictory. The best I've found is the page about the spell in the wiki, but the wiki tends to be quite unreliable. Can anybody confirm what the spell actually does?

To avoid confusion I want to emphasize that, as the title and this first post say, this thread is about the Non-detection SPELL. It is NOT about the Non-detection cloak. Information about the cloak is welcome, of course, but is not the main topic of the thread.
Post edited by Alonso on
Brecherimp51096454

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2019
    I think the real non-technical questions are.

1. Does hide in shadows + nondetection protect from those spells or subset thereof
    2. Does sanctuary + nondetection protect from those spells or subset thereof
    3. Does any of the invisibility spells (mage or priest) + nondetection project from those spells or subset thereof
    4. Does invisibility potion + nondetection protect from those spells or subset thereof
    5. Does invisibility from item (such as a certain staff) protect from those spells or subset thereof
    Rik_KirtaniyaAlonsogorgonzola
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited June 2019
    Damn. The more I think about this, the more unsure of myself I get. Now that you bring power levels into it, I don't know about #5. Let's just agree that SI: Divination is better if you really want to stay hidden with no caveats (well, except the thief skill Detect Illusion).
    Bubbsemiticgoddesslolien
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 999
    edited June 2019
    Perhaps we should defer to the local priest of Oghma?

@kjeron, I summon you!
    Flashburnlolien
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    kjeron wrote: »
    It still takes 2x casts/triggers to remove the Invisibility: the first to remove Non-Detection, the second to remove Invisiblity.
    In which cases does it take two casts? With the cloak, with the spell, or with both? Does it take two casts with any kind of invisibility?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    The Cloak's Non-Detection cannot be removed.
    Spell Non-Detection + any non-illusionary Invisibility (Hide in Shadows and similar) requires two casts/triggers of Oracle/Detect Illusion/True Sight.
    AlonsoStummvonBordwehrgorgonzolalolien
    Spell Non-Detection + any non-illusionary Invisibility (Hide in Shadows and similar) requires two casts/triggers of Oracle/Detect Illusion/True Sight.
    What invisibilities are non-illusionary?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    My Non-Detection spell and Cloak of Non-Detection always work perfectly because I made sure the give the user protection from divination attack spell types.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Alonso wrote: »
    What invisibilities are non-illusionary?

i am not sure about it, but maybe the invisibility from the ring you can loot from the city gates lich fight gives a non illusionary invisibility that coupled witht he cloak can not be dispelled.
    i don't have a save game suitable to test it now, can someone check the item file and confirm it?
    My Non-Detection spell and Cloak of Non-Detection always work perfectly because I made sure the give the user protection from divination attack spell types.

not easy if the user is not a mage or a thief with uai, as afaik the only way to protect from divination attack spell types is SI illusion. and with that protection not detection becomes redundant for everything but glitterdust or a thief using detect illusions, things that happen only in few instances.
    Alonsololien
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited June 2019
    @kjeron
    • Is there any noticeable difference between opcode #47 and opcode #116?
    • Does 'Nondetection + Invisibility' protect against opcode #136 (Force visible) and opcode #193 (Invisibility detection)?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    I think all of invisibility abilities cast from items are fixed in ee - they're all coded as illusionary protections.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    gorgonzola wrote: »

not easy if the user is not a mage or a thief with uai, as afaik the only way to protect from divination attack spell types is SI illusion. and with that protection not detection becomes redundant for everything but glitterdust or a thief using detect illusions, things that happen only in few instances.

What you say is true. What I meant is that I added the "protection from spell type" opcode of 205 to the Cloak, protecting from spell type 5 of "divination attack" much like what Spell Immunity: Illusion does. In BG2EE what will happen is that enemy mages will sit there and cast True Sight repeatedly to no effect.
    gorgonzolalolien
    Did anybody understand what @kjeron said here about "non-illusionary Invisibility"?
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    edited June 2019
    Staff of the Magi (and any on-equip invisibility) works the same as the invisibility from Hide in Shadows/Move Silently with regards to removal. It has no type or school, but is dispel-able. There are also some spells that apply similar Invisibility effects, used by enemies to simulate Hide in Shadows/Move Silently, as well as "natural" invisibility (Hellcats), and the Shaman's Spirit Form HLA.

See above. It's non illusionary because it does not belong to the illusion school, nor does it have a type. I think, anyway.
    gorgonzolaJuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Did anybody understand what @kjeron said here about "non-illusionary Invisibility"?

The point about non-illusionary relates to the need for two spells (or two triggers of True Sight) to remove the effect. The first spell removes the non-detection (and any other illusionary effects as well), but if there is non-illusionary invisibility this won't be removed until the second spell.
    gorgonzolaAlonsoJuliusBorisovlolien
    Staff of the Magi (and any on-equip invisibility) works the same as the invisibility from Hide in Shadows/Move Silently with regards to removal. It has no type or school, but is dispel-able. There are also some spells that apply similar Invisibility effects, used by enemies to simulate Hide in Shadows/Move Silently, as well as "natural" invisibility (Hellcats), and the Shaman's Spirit Form HLA.

See above. It's non illusionary because it does not belong to the illusion school, nor does it have a type. I think, anyway.

It doesn't look like that quote answers my question, actually it doesn't even say anything about illusionary/non illusionary. Anyway, since finding an answer is becoming so difficult, I'll venture a guess: Do you mean that Hide in Shadows/Move Silently, the Staff of the Magi invisibility, and other on-equip invisibility are non illusionary; and every other kind of invisibility is illusionary?
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591

It doesn't look like that quote answers my question, actually it doesn't even say anything about illusionary/non illusionary. Anyway, since finding an answer is becoming so difficult, I'll venture a guess: Do you mean that Hide in Shadows/Move Silently, the Staff of the Magi invisibility, and other on-equip invisibility are non illusionary; and every other kind of invisibility is illusionary?

I don't know about SotM, but generally yes - that's how ND works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    gorgonzola
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    A more complete answer is, if you look at the files with a utility like Near Infinity, "illusionary" invisibility means the .SPL or .ITM or .EFF causing the effect has its Primary Type ("school of magic") set to Illusion. "Non-illusionary" as used above refers to sources of invisibility whose Primary Type/school of magic is not set to Illusion.
    "Illusion" Primary/School and/or "Illusionary Protection" Secondary/Type
    Though many effects that are one are also the other.
    gorgonzolalolien
    There might be a contradiction here:
    Bubb wrote: »
    Makes the target immune to [...]
    Oracle (only if invisibility is non-illusion type)
    True Sight (only if invisibility is non-illusion type)
    I. e., the target is immune.
    Non-Detection + any non-illusionary Invisibility (Hide in Shadows and similar) requires two casts/triggers of Oracle/Detect Illusion/True Sight.
    I. e., the target is NOT immune.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 999
    edited June 2019
    @Alonso: If Non-Detection is given by the cloak it follows what I said. I failed to account for the Non-Detection spell, which can be dispelled by Oracle's / True Sight's "secondary type" removal. So:

(Non-Detection by cloak):
    Oracle (only if invisibility is non-illusion type)
    True Sight (only if invisibility is non-illusion type)

(Non-Detection by spell):
    Oracle (two casts required)
    True Sight (two applications required)
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0
    edited June 2019
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0
    edited June 2019
    OK, with a lot of effort and the loss of a few thousand neurons I had bonded with over the years, I've managed to come up with a description that hopefully describes accurately what this SPELL does:

Non-detection is meant to be used in conjunction with some source of invisibility, like the Invisibility spell or the stealth ability of rogues. When the target of Non-detection becomes invisible, his invisibility cannot be dispelled by the spells Invisibility Purge, Detect Invisibility or Glitterdust (the blinding effect of Glitterdust still applies, though).

The spells Detect Illusion, Oracle, True Seeing and True Sight do remove Non-Detection. However, they do it in different ways depending on the source of the invisibility they try to remove: If the invisibility is natural, is obtained by wearing an item, or is obtained by using rogue stealth; it takes two invisibility dispellings to remove it. The first dispelling removes Non-detection, but the creature remains invisible. Only the second dispelling removes the invisibility itself. With other types of invisibility, Detect Illusion, Oracle, True Seeing and True Sight dispel both Non-detecion and the invisibility at the same time.

Is that correct?

To avoid confusion I'd like to repeat that this is a description of the SPELL, not of the cloak.
    Post edited by Alonso on
    [Deleted User]lolien
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    not yet
    The spells Detect Illusion, Oracle, True Seeing and True Sight do remove Non-Detection.
    is true only if the non detection is obtained with a spell, if is obtained with an item (cloak) it can not be remomved by spells.
    this is why the combo not detection (by cloak) and invisibility (non illusionary type like the hide in shadows of a thief) makes a toon completely immune to spells that reveal illusions.

note that creatures that can naturally see trough invisibility can see (and target) an invisible person so even that combo does not work with them.

i am not sure of how not detection, by spells and by items, interacts with the thief skill that reveals illusions, does not detection works to stop the effect of that skill? (i assume it does not, but i am not sure about it).

edited June 2019
    gorgonzolalolien