Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited May 2019
    Dynaheir romance was originally coded with TuTu in mind. It had a wonderful epilogue sequence giving closure to all the heavy foreshadowing, but that one has never been transplanted onto BGT or EE, for obvious reasons. I still miss it to this day; but I agree that without it, the ending of the romance arc feels abrupt.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Isewein wrote: »
    but that one has never been transplanted onto BGT or EE, for obvious reasons.

What obvious reasons?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Thels wrote: »
    Isewein wrote: »
    but that one has never been transplanted onto BGT or EE, for obvious reasons.

What obvious reasons?
    because both bgt and sod use thier own version of the kidnapping scene.
    @megamike15 That doesn't explain why it shouldn't be included in EE in general. Also, should that lead to an utter silence during the Winski encounter?
    Raduziellefreut
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    Best mod ever, I literally replayed BG only for this. It is good to see that is still updated. Keep the good work!
    Girdle of gender comments are pure gold.
    leeux
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @PsicoVic There are more girdle of gender comments in bg1re, just in case you are interested (and didn't know about it). [/promotion]
    IseweinPsicoVic
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    Best mod ever, I literally replayed BG only for this. It is good to see that is still updated. Keep the good work!
    Girdle of gender comments are pure gold.

Try adding romantic encounters for even more amusing development regarding that belt.
    Hilarious. :D
    You will have to install the adult content I think.
    PsicoVic
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    @Thels No, there definitely is supposed to be a final talk after the Winski encounter. If it didn't fire for you, that's most likely a bug. It's just that even that final talk is rather vague and doesn't really give closure to the romance, because that was done by the epilogue sequence. It wouldn't make much sense to port the epilogue sequence to BGEE I suppose, because it is assumed that most people playing EE will also play SoD, which a) doesn't even have Dynaheir romance content and b) features its own version of the same scene, as @megamike15 pointed out. Effectively this leaves the Dynaheir romance somewhat stunted, which is a real shame, because it used to my one of my favourite character arcs in BG when it was tightly interwoven with the plot. But to really make it work someone would have to write its continuation for SoD - or at least some references to it. :(
    @Isewein I got nothing. I guess it could be worth investigating what went wrong.

Still, I don't think it's fair to assume that if you have BGEE, you automatically have SOD. And even if you have SOD, I know plenty of people that prefer to skip over SOD and go straight into BG2EE.

Of course, I have no idea how hard it would be to port the scene from Tutu to BGEE.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    With the actual addition of EET, I can't blame them.
    Can you imagine how many people would turn out furious here complaining that they didn't think about SoD?

Also it would warrant a component on its own and I don't know how feasible or hard it is to actually split a dialogue banter in another component
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    jastey wrote: »
    @PsicoVic There are more girdle of gender comments in bg1re, just in case you are interested (and didn't know about it). [/promotion]

I am, and thanks, very good mod so far. And has a counterpart in bg2 as well! Loved Alec and Hull in Candlekeep
    jastey
  • GirewanGirewan Member Posts: 5
    Component BGEE Banter Timing Tweak did not install correctly. Banttimeg.2da still had the default values. Tried it multiple times.
    edited June 2019
    PsicoVic wrote: »

I am, and thanks, very good mod so far. And has a counterpart in bg2 as well! Loved Alec and Hull in Candlekeep

Is that the 50 shades bit upstairs in the inn for ladies?

I found that both interesting and amusing to say the least. Sadly, after a while the mod loses its freshness.

I no longer have it installed as the encounters are the same in every game unlike RL where the romance changes from week to week even if, like me, you are in a monagomous long term relationship. [Been married 39 years :) ]
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    jastey
    the encounters are the same in every game unlike RL where the romance changes from week to week even if, like me, you are in a monagomous long term relationship. [Been married 39 years :) ]
    First: congrats to your long lasting marriage! That is awesome.
    But secondly: let's talk about the mod again when you've reloaded and relived your live, say, 6 times. :)

Wise_Grimwaldleeux
    the encounters are the same in every game unlike RL where the romance changes from week to week even if, like me, you are in a monagomous long term relationship. [Been married 39 years :) ]
    First: congrats to your long lasting marriage! That is awesome.
    But secondly: let's talk about the mod again when you've reloaded and relived your live, say, 6 times. :)

I wish that I could. It's been a good life despite the ups and downs. :)
    jasteyleeux
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2019
    I'm having a problem at the end of the Thieves' Maze concerning Winski Perorate, and I'm not sure if this is a bug. I have v23.3 installed.
    I'm going to put the problem in spoiler tags, in case anyone who hasn't been there accidentally reads it.
    So, I approach Winski and he starts talking to Dynaheir, and after their conversation he summons the demon Aravaata and orders him to kill us. Both the demon and Winski retain a blue circle, but the demon immediately starts casting lightning bolts and spamming us with confusion spells. In my first attempt, I attacked, the others were confused, Yeslick cast Holy Smite, because obviously demons are evil. The spell accidentally killed Winski, who seems to be considered an innocent bystander because his death was followed by an immediate reputation loss of 10.That's a disaster for me, because I'm roleplaying, and truly roleplaying, a paladin.
    He must be evil, otherwise Holy Smite wouldn't have harmed him, so why is it 10 rep loss? I reloaded, which hurts, because I'm doing a minimal reload run. The second time, I attacked the demon, who still remained blue while bombing us with lightning and confusion, with melee only (I had the greenstone amulet, the others were all confused again). After his death, the confused Ajantis killed Winski again, which again led to the reputation loss of 10. And he spams confusion, so I suppose every reload will contain the same risk. The only solution I see is maybe reload again and make Dynaheir invisible so that their dialogue doesn't trigger, if that works.

So, is this a bug or just bad luck? Would killing him usually only lead to rep loss in vanilla, because he doesn't attack me there? I mean, I should be allowed to kill him, although it was unintentional, if he sends a demon at me, shouldn't I?

TL;DR: Is the reputation loss a bug in the mod? In that case I wouldn't count the reloads for my minimal reload run and just mention them as consequences of a bug. I value my paladin's honor too much to just accept that death and think "oh well, bad luck. What's the problem with 10 rep instead of 20?

I'd really appreciate an answer. I love how NPC project gives life to my companions and adds opportunities for interaction and roleplaying, and I would like to use it always, but that situation is very frustrating.

Edit: Just noticed that this thread is for the v24 beta. Sorry. I hope it's still okay to ask this here, didn't find another place.
    ThacoBell
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    Hello.

I have a problem with Branwen. I killed the mage who petrified her and she obviously has something to say afterwards. But the only thing that happens is that dialogue is started by Charname, and this continuous to happen in an endless loop every two seconds. How do I get rid of this?

Second question: has the components to move certain NPCs to new starting locations been removed? I did not get the option to add them this time when I installed the mod.

Thank you (yes, I have v24)
    Oh, and I also can't send NPCs to wait in inns. :neutral:
    you need the tweak pack for that. it was removed from bg 1 npc project in the last update.

the Branwen issue is known. it's best to not use her until it gets fixed in v25 which may not be for awhile.
    Fina92
    @megamike15 Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying! Why was it removed though? Is it not compatible with the NPC project anymore?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I think it was decided that this component becomes redundant with Tweaks Anthology.

IIRC, TA has a component that moves NPCs to easier-to-get locations.
    Fina92megamike15ThacoBell
    yeah both moving characters to the inn and moveing some npcs around got moved to the tweak pack. there is also a mod that moves more npcs you might want to get instead of useing the tweak pack's

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72746/bg1-npcs-at-beginning-v3-0
    Fina92
    @Fina92 That's a known bug in the Beta. Simply remove Branwen from the party for that encounter only. Alternatively, if you have the console enabled, you can set "P#BranTranzig" to 2 after the encounter to fix it.

@megamike15 No, it did not get ported to the Tweak Pack. The Tweak Pack incorporated a different "Send to Inn" feature (I think it's from SCS), which unfortunately has a lot less character to it. The NPC Project had carefully picked different locations for each of the characters, whereas the Tweaks simply allows you to send all the NPCs to each of the basic inns that you visited at least once, including characters such as Faldorn and Viconia.
    Fina92
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    edited June 2019
    @Thels @megamike15
    This is the note from changelog:
    Transferring the following components to Tweaks Anthology:
    NPCs Wait at Inns
    Move NPCs to Convenient Locations (Alora, Eldoth, Quayle, Tiax)
    Make Shar-Teel Unkillable until In Party
    Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One
    Transferring Edwin, Imoen, Jaheira, and Minsc portrait components to Continuous NPC Portraits
    Those components are now part of Tweaks Anthology as addition to Shar-Teel and Viconia components.
    @ALIEN I know the changelog says that, but that doesn't make it true.

The "Send NPC to Inn" feature included in Tweaks is quite different from the "Send NPC to Inn" feature included in NPC Project up until 23.3.

The NPC Project version had individual locations for each NPC. For example, while a lot of good aligned NPCs could be sent to the FAI, folk like Xzar and Edwin could be sent to the Belching Dragon instead. Yet other characters had unique locations. Faldorn could only be sent back to the Cloakwood, Viconia would hide on the Beregost Road, and Eldoth would go to one of the inns in Beregost. Once you've reached chapter five, most characters had a second option inside Baldur's Gate. Again, good characters would go to the Elfsong, while the more evil inclined characters would hang out on the ship, but there were outliers on both sides, and a few NPCs would refuse to travel to BG (such as Faldorn).

The Tweaks implementation just allows you to send all the NPCs to each of the major inns you've already visited. While more convenient, it has less character to it, which is a shame.

IIRC, the Move NPCs to Convenient Locations is also slightly different, but I don't mind the differences there.
    ALIENThacoBellWise_Grimwald
    edited June 2019
    Thels wrote: »
    The Tweaks implementation just allows you to send all the NPCs to each of the major inns you've already visited. While more convenient, it has less character to it, which is a shame.

Totally agree, the transfer of this component shouldn't remove it's 'character', it should be offered as alternative for existing tweak:
    "Send NPC to Inn - all major inns you've already visited."
    "Send NPC to Inn - customized option depend on NPC and game chapter."
    This would be perfect :smile:
    jastey
    edited June 2019
    In addition, one of the "Send party to Inn" used to send the characters in the Training Room in Candlekeep to the FAI whilst the other didn't. I think that since EE neither now allows you to send them to the FAI :'( , but I'm not sure about that.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Was

The BG1 NPC Project Music Pack v4

integrated into this mod?
    @Arthas What do you mean by integrated? The music files are not included, but if you have the music pack installed, the music will play for the BG1NPC dialogues.
    @jastey He means: two mod into one.
    Arthas