Skip to content

Progressive thieving abilities experience

I hate it. Sorry but, really. I just want to bash a dragon, or probably a gibberling. It's actually a great feature by Beamdog but making 10 XP instead of 25 XP in Beregost defeats the advantage of having a Thief class at the start of the game which should let you gain a level or so just by thieving in Beregost and Nashkel (so that you don't feel it's an half-useful skill).

And at the middle and higher levels the XP received is irrelevant, so I don't really understand the point of this progressive feature, maybe it's better in BG2EE. It could be interesting it the XP given wasn't near irrelevant, and I doubt they're going to change anything now so basically..I guess It's just a rant on the vanilla game.

10 XP per chest? I'd rather fight gibberlings thanks. Bump me to 20 XP and I'll do the job.
[Deleted User]RAM021

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    But, but, you'll miss out on that greenstone ring!
    DJKajuru[Deleted User]
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You could do like Imoen and become a mage, game pays 10xp/level f0r learning a new spell xD
    RAM021
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I agree the rewards could have been made a bit higher - the rewards in BG2EE are considerably more significant to getting levels than those in BGEE, so in one way it seems odd they chose such small amounts. However, given that there are no rewards at all in vanilla BG for using thief skills, I guess they just didn't want to upset existing game balance.
    DJKajuruAerakarVeshkaRleeux
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    To be quite fair, it's actually easy to edit trap XP by using Near Infinity.

Also, bringing back my Imoen example , she does disarm dangerous traps every now and then and gets shitty amounts of XP, but on the other hand without any decent items she contributes to very few kills in the party and she does get a full piece of the XP cake. Shall we call it even?
    Grond0[Deleted User]Gusinda
  • VeshkaRVeshkaR Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2019
    I guess that was a comparaison with a modded version of the game where you get 25 XP minimum since I completely forgot you didn't get any in the vanilla game (original vanilla, not BGEE vanilla like mentionned in my first comment), whoops. Also, Grond0 yes, I respect the fact they chose the least disruptive route, but was just pointing out the problem.
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    But, but, you'll miss out on that greenstone ring!

There's a lot to loot actually, it's worth it.
    DJKajuru wrote: »
    Also, bringing back my Imoen example , she does disarm dangerous traps every now and then and gets shitty amounts of XP, but on the other hand without any decent items she contributes to very few kills in the party and she does get a full piece of the XP cake. Shall we call it even?

Looks like Viconia describing her. You're forgetting her great personality and charm for the group (+0% XP).
    [Deleted User]
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited June 2019
    I think it would be reasonable to multiply the XP gained by a certain amount:

Disarming a trap: multiply by 10 (XP per trap will range from 100 to 170 in BG1)
    Picking a lock: multiply by 5 (XP per lock will range from 125 to 200 in BG1)
    Learning a spell: multiply by 10 (XP ranging from 100 for 1st-level spells to 500 for 5th-level spells in BG1)

Note that the amount of XP you get for disarming a trap or picking a lock depends on the thief's level, not on the difficulty of the trap or lock.
    Grond0leeuxGusindaRAM021