Skip to content

Magic Resistance and Beneficial spells

Hi All,

I was doing some reading on here about magic resistance, and it wasn't really addressed....

Does high MR also cancel out good spells? Like, will haste or a heal spell potentially (or certainly) not work on a character with a 100%+ MR?

Do some beneficial spells work just fine but some have chance/guarantee to fail?]

What's the scoop?

thanks all,

P.S. this question is relevant for more games than just BG1:EE if there is a better place to ask/discuss more general crossover questions that relate to many of the games, please advise and I will post there in the future.

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    In the original Baldur's Gate 1 before the Enhanced Edition, certain beneficial spells, including Haste, could be blocked by Magic Resistance. The description of the Potion of Magic Protection in the original game said:
    This potion will leave the drinker with 50% resistance to all magic, which can be a blessing or a curse.

In the Enchanced Edition, beneficial spells can't be blocked by Magic Resistance. They also took out the "blessing or a curse" part from the description of that item.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    In BG1 before EE, magic resistance could block any spell. In every game after, including the EE games, magic resistance will not block any friendly spells.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    edited June 2019
    In some cases it may not be totally clear whether a spell is friendly or not. You could intend to use something like a charm spell for friendly purposes (for instance to move an NPC out of potential harm's way from a combat), but the game will treat that as hostile. The same is now true for Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, although there have been game versions in the past where that was classed as a friendly spell.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    There were also some loading tips in the original games that warned you about Magic Resistance being a double edged sword.

The weirdest tactic that's been opened up by the change is casting Magic Resistance on your enemies. While normally you would cast Magic Resistance on your allies to set their Magic Resistance to say 30 for example, but if you're fighting an enemy with say 90% magic resistance, you can now cast the magic resistance spell on them. Being a "beneficial" spell, it will bypass their magic resistance, and set it to the much more comfortable 30.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Chronicler wrote: »
    The weirdest tactic that's been opened up by the change is casting Magic Resistance on your enemies. While normally you would cast Magic Resistance on your allies to set their Magic Resistance to say 30 for example, but if you're fighting an enemy with say 90% magic resistance, you can now cast the magic resistance spell on them. Being a "beneficial" spell, it will bypass their magic resistance, and set it to the much more comfortable 30.

... Hoho, I have GOT to try this tactic out on some annoying high MR enemies! XD
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    I agree that use of MR is a good one, but there are other nice examples as well. Casting strength on some opponents for instance can significantly reduce the damage they do.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Grond0 wrote: »
    I agree that use of MR is a good one, but there are other nice examples as well. Casting strength on some opponents for instance can significantly reduce the damage they do.

Hadn't thought of that. Like a more reliable and less powerful Ray of Enfeeblement.