Skip to content

Most Fun Druidic Character for Full Saga Playthrough?

So I'm in the mood to make a druid character for my next run and I couldn't find a post that compares all the options I am interested in. So I decided to make one!

I was wondering what some of your experiences were and what you think will be entertaining and useful throughout the saga.

I know Avenger druids (and Totemic if wanted) play a bit more caster-y than the other options mentioned which may affect some opinions but getting some feedback of all the options I think would be an interesting read.

So let me know what you think!
  1. Most Fun Druidic Character for Full Saga Playthrough?54 votes
    1. Totemic Druid (Firetooth/Spectral Brand + Belm or Staff of Arundel)
        9.26%
    2. Avenger Druid (Staff of Arundel)
      20.37%
    3. Berserker 7 -> Druid X (Spectral Brand + Belm)
      18.52%
    4. Half Orc Shaman (Firetooth or Staff of Striking)
        9.26%
    5. Multiclass Fighter/Druid
      29.63%
    6. Other
      12.96%
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I have done Berserker 13 to Druid and was surprised how fun it was, a very good tank and versatile character, used the weapons you mention and also took quarterstaff and slings, so the lower level dual gets my vote - have fun whatever you choose ?
    [Deleted User]Shrimpboy107
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Fighter/Druid multi is probably the most powerful Druid build though.
    StummvonBordwehrShrimpboy107Angulimala
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2019
    Multiclass fighter-druid. Is the most versatile and powerful. The druids reach his potential faster than clerics in this games so multiclass is not a big deal, even in bg1. You are a powerful spellcaster anyway and a decent fighter with your heavy armor, shield and weapon specialization.

As a single-class druid you lose weapon specialization, a real shield and medium-heavy armor proficiency and there are far better offensive spellcasters than the druids (druids have great support, debuff and summoning spells but have limited options in ofensive magic and no school specialization). Even if you want to use it as a full-time caster, losing combat progress for a few caster level and some more spells/day is not a good trade, because unlike other spellcasters, you do not have that many ofensive options, IMHO.

You also have it dual-classing but I found that the difference with a proper multiclass fighter-druid is not that much in health, thaco and spells/day.
    If you ask for a fighter-cleric build I will go berserker or ranger dual-class hands down, but not with druid.

As a multiclass you have a solid character and ready to go from the beginning in bg to the end of tob.
    Shrimpboy107
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    If you like summoning, druids are the best. Totemic Druids add even more best!

Drawbacks, you may ask? Does anybody really use shapechange if you're not an Avenger or Shapeshifter anyway?
    Shrimpboy107gorgonzolaJuliusBorisovQuartz
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2019
    A pure druid (kitted or otherwise) has a particular edge multiclasses don't have - they can get to higher levels faster, and thus can force higher level NPCs to spawn earlier. So in the end while a multiclass might be more powerful personally, a solo class druid will potentially have a much more powerful group for a significant portion of the game.

It's also false that solo class druids don't have combat options. You gain levels significantly faster than multiclasses, which is important because the druid level 2 spell list leaves a lot to be desired (pretty much the only saving grace there is Charm Person/Mammal, which is only notable in BG1). Thus, gaining more level 3+ spell slots ASAP is crucial AND particularly notable in the druid's case - access to one more nymph alone (from the Call Woodlands spell) gives you access to 10(!!) more mid-level spells, for example. You presume that the power your character gains from having more spell slots follows a linear progression - it really doesn't (something that's actually pretty universal in BG2 btw).
    Also, Avenger/Totemic Druid enjoy significant benefits from having higher caster levels.
    Finally, although you won't have much in the way of personal combat options druids have access to more than enough potential "I-win" spells (like Hold Monster spam from nymphs, Insect Plague and Nature's Beauty). At higher levels you also get Fire Seeds and Energy Blades, spells people usually underestimate until they're at the receiving end of them.

I don't really blame the OP for not having Shapeshifter as an option. What that kit really needs is a werewolf form that allows spellcasting.
    Shrimpboy107gorgonzolaJuliusBorisovRAM021
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shrimpboy107RAM021
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    Nuin wrote: »
    A pure druid (kitted or otherwise) has a particular edge multiclasses don't have - they can get to higher levels faster, and thus can force higher level NPCs to spawn earlier. So in the end while a multiclass might be more powerful personally, a solo class druid will potentially have a much more powerful group for a significant portion of the game.
    This is usually a con for me rather than a pro, I like my NPCs as low level as possible so I can customize them more to my liking but maybe that’s because I don’t like save editing which would “solve” the issue.
    Shrimpboy107
    edited June 2019
    That's a bit more subjective in BG2 because the difference boils down to spell levels/spells known more than proficiency points.. In particular it mostly involves plain fughter characters, ie Korgan and Mazzy, and those two have solid default proficiencies.
    Everyone else gets enough proficiency points to do whatever they want given time.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Shaman are criminally underrrated.
    Shrimpboy107tbone1Quartz
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I'll buck the trend here and go for the Half-Orc Shaman option, mostly because I had a blast having M'Khiin in my party in SoD. Shamans are basically like Sorcerer variants of Druids, and they get access to a few nifty Shaman-only spells as well. Since you can easily bring along a Cleric for access to standard divine buff spells, this frees up the Shaman to focus their selected spells on Druid/Shaman-only choices, which they can then cast numerous times per day. On top of that, their Shamanic Dance special ability also lets them summon a bunch of spirits (OK, meat shields) in advance when you know combat is coming, positioning them around soon-to-be-hostile NPCs to attract attention.

Shamans are about as restricted as Druids in terms of melee abilities, however, so if you intend to make use of your Half-Orc's greater Strength, you may want to consider multi-classing him.
    ThacoBellShrimpboy107
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited June 2019
    Fighter/Druid is a nice compromise with a great all around power curve, think of a non-bossy Jaheira with decent stats. It can frontline (both tank and deal damage), cast key disruptive druid spells quite early, serve as party buffer pre-fight and party healer post-fight. I am a bit biased towards favoring a warrior component in most characters (save things like sorcerer or Edwin) so that you don’t have to rest too often.
    It is nice to see that the character keeps growing during SoA since max level for a single-class Druid in BG1 is 10 and max level is 14 in SoA (the SoA cap is the same as ToB in EE but serves as a good indication of the total xp you’d get on average with a full party). A fighter/druid is capped at 13/13 in SoA. Some however, might on the contrary feel that the multi-class furthers this xp gap between 14 and 15.
    The ability to equip belm compared to a F/C kind of compensates for the fewer buffs while insect plague takes care of those pesky (non scs) spellcasters.

I like to think of F/D as a Druid that delays spellcasting ability for a permanent shapeshift that actually deals damage and lets you cast your spells.

Another fun option is to dual from wizard slayer and stack up on fire seeds for area of effect spellcasting failure. This strategy is probably reserved for Legacy of Bhaal SCS Ascension craziness.

Note: If you don’t mind cheese at epic levels, the combination of critical strike high level ability and harm (the hit is guaranteed) is deadly.
    Post edited by Meyahi on
    Shrimpboy107
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    Mine is parked but I'm really looking forward to going back to my Zerk 9->Druid plan. I'm going for GM in q-staffs and daggers, so I can toss them around as needed. I'd agree with the idea that F/D may be a more powerful character. I'm thinking the F->D dual is a bit like Cernd the shapeshifter. You've got excellent fighting skills for awhile, and eventually you transition to full-time spell casting.
    Shrimpboy107gorgonzola
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited June 2019
    For ironskins + plate + whirlwind attack you need a fighter/druid so that would be my choice.
    Shrimpboy107BelgarathMTH
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    jsaving wrote: »
    For ironskins + plate + whirlwind attack you need a fighter/druid so that would be my choice.

Old cleric/ranger or fighter/mage can do the same :)
    But yes, multis are way stronger in the hla territory.
    RAM021
  • tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 128
    I’m currently playing a full saga EE playthrough as a Totemic Druid, but I EEKeepered the spells of the avenger (which I’m finding I rarely use at all because I am playing with icewind dale druid spells which are quite good)

I also plan on buffing the elemental shapeshift ability just a bit to make it more useful. Going to make it more tanky and hit slightly harder.

Really enjoying the druid so far, still in bg1 but almost have level 4 spells and not even too deep in yet.
    Shrimpboy107
    edited June 2019
    Polymorph/shapechange effects are just underwhelming in general for a single class druid in BG2. It's just that by the time your druid is all set to auto-attack stuff, you've practically already won since enemies should be near-dead or incapacitated. The main exception is the undead creature type, but then again few druid-iusable weapons are particularly effective against them. It's far more efficient to just let other characters specialize in dealing with that particular creature type.
    The elemental form HLAs are no exception since in pretty much any situation where those forms are going to be useful, you're better off casting spells or pelting enemies with Energy Blades.
    Shrimpboy107
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Ranger/Cleric

'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '0'
    ThacoBellRik_KirtaniyaQuartz
    Shape-shifting with SCS is great if you enable tokens. You equip your shapeshift, so you can switch in and out of form at will. Maybe not the best RP-wise, but it's convenient and useful.
    Also, if you turn on the SCS takes your gear in Spellhold setting, having a shapeshifter is fantastic.
    Then, as you level past greater ww form, your spell-casting will be fully realized.
    Eventually, the elemental form HLAs make you pretty scary in melee again :wink:
    gorgonzolaRAM021
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Soloing BG1&2 with a Totemic Druid was a wonderful experience for me. Totemic Druid's summons are excellent. Not only they are useful in BG1 and early stages of BG2, but their immunities also make them valid warriors 'til the very end.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/30553/the-tale-of-the-totemic-druid ;)

@JuliusBorisov , I'm curious, while you were doing that, did you always match your animal spirit to the enemy, rotating among the four possibilities according to your situation? I've always wanted to run a totemic druid (as Charname in a party), but I think for roleplay, and according to the class description, you should have to choose *one* animal totem at character creation, (which for me would be the cat), and never have access to the other three.

The ability to rotate them at will just seems very contrary to the class description for me.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Wolf boy shapeshifter is too much fun.
    Danacm
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Soloing BG1&2 with a Totemic Druid was a wonderful experience for me. Totemic Druid's summons are excellent. Not only they are useful in BG1 and early stages of BG2, but their immunities also make them valid warriors 'til the very end.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/30553/the-tale-of-the-totemic-druid ;)

@JuliusBorisov , I'm curious, while you were doing that, did you always match your animal spirit to the enemy, rotating among the four possibilities according to your situation? I've always wanted to run a totemic druid (as Charname in a party), but I think for roleplay, and according to the class description, you should have to choose *one* animal totem at character creation, (which for me would be the cat), and never have access to the other three.

The ability to rotate them at will just seems very contrary to the class description for me.

I rotated them a lot, especially in BG1, because of the differences in immunities and abilities they have. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66378/totemic-druids-spirit-animal-stats

My run was a solo run with a druid, with SCS - it's impossible to RP there if one wants to survive. I can see, however, how a run with a preferred, one animal totem, can be done in the party.

On a side note, I find an ability to choose between animals to be fun. Limiting it would hamper druid's versatility (which they don't have, frankly).
    gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2019
    Fighter/Druid using I Hate Undead's Circle Enforcer kit.

---

Lost Druid kit is also awesome, but looks like that mod doesn't get maintenance in a long time.
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Shrimpboy107, you've inspired me. I restarted my Zerk->Druid to try out the new SCS and IWD spells. There are quite a few additional changes as well! I like the new difficulty settings. It made pulling my motley crew together a challenge. Well, only Faldorn (have to try the spells while I level zerk) and Safana. Let's see what NPC project has in store for this:
    rtad5j5ztf03.png
    Shrimpboy107JuliusBorisov
  • tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 128
    I believe you need 17 Charisma to dual. So I hope you haven't used the charisma tome yet!
    JuliusBorisovbutteredsoulRAM021
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited July 2019
    Correct. You aren't even allowed to be a druid in the first place if your charisma is below 15 and you can't dual to druid unless your charisma is 17. Luckily @butteredsoul is still early in the game so most likely he hasn't used any tomes yet.
    Post edited by jsaving on
    JuliusBorisovbutteredsoul
    @tedmann12 and @jsaving ... I have now. Charisma is 17! Obviously, I still have 3 wisdom tomes to eat as well.
    Raduziel
    edited August 2019
    Hey @Shrimpboy107 how's your run going? My Zerk 9->Druid just finished BG1. Here he is after the party ate everything in our bags before the final fight. I can't wait to dual, though I may wait for 2.6 to drop before I BG2EE.

At least Faldorn kept my druid needs warm.

I wonder if I missed any saving throws that battle?
    nud58tuj0vhj.png
    Post edited by butteredsoul on
    JuliusBorisov