Skip to content

All dwarf party ?

DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
Should it be fun ? Its right there is no arcane class but it doesnt matter, but how fun is it ? Which classes? Halflings should be better ?
SkatanJuliusBorisovilduderino

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Take inspiration from the Hobbit movie or book. I think a thematical run can be very fun. We've all played these games a lot, so what can keep us playing are new challenges (and no arcane magic is a challenge) and new approaches. Go for it! You can include one halfling, you know. ;)
    DanacmlolienAerakar
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    It would definitely be fun. Everyone knows dwarfs are the light and joy of any party! I've thought about it myself and would probably go with something like;

Berzerker (slashing primarily)
    DD (axes)
    F/C (blunt)
    Cleric of Tempus (blunt and slings)
    F/T (longbows)
    Skald* (song/some spells)

*Cheated - But Skald do fit the theme a lot, so I would fake it rather than use a Halfling or Gnome. Could be run without the Skald as well since arcane is nice but not mandatory.
    JuliusBorisovDanacmPsicoVicAerakar
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Thanks the tipps @skatan but i dont like fighter kits and dont need arcane caster. But cleric of tempus seems nice.
    What im thinking:
    Fighter
    Fighter/cleric
    Fighter/thief
    Cleric (single class for turn undead)
    Fighter

I feel 5 character is enough.

If i use halflings i feel somehow a halfling sorcerer or druid for some rp reasons or just because i like the idea :D
    JuliusBorisovSkatan
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I really like this idea and have toyed with it a few times. An all dwarf party appeals more that an all halfling, all gnome or all elf group.

I would be tempted to use a swashbuckler instead of or in addition to the fighter / thief
    ilduderino wrote: »
    I really like this idea and have toyed with it a few times. An all dwarf party appeals more that an all halfling, all gnome or all elf group.

I would be tempted to use a swashbuckler instead of or in addition to the fighter / thief

Swashbuckler is nice, but really dont need that much thieving skill points. Usually i use fmt or dual thief to smthing else.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited July 2019
    No dwarven defender? Klangeddin is weeping, you know?

Only dwarves is very restrictive, but I will go for:

Fighter (DD) -Sword and shield-
    Fighter (Berserker) -Axes-
    F-Th (ranged)
    F-Cler -Flail-
    Cleric of lathander (The valley of the dead is a field trip with him/her. Bring beer) -Sling-
    Assassin (if you have RR) or Shadowdancer(if not) -Few skill points but that is why you have 2 thieves. Also to have mixed alignments.
    DanacmAerakar
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    No dwarven defender? Klangeddin is weeping, you know?

Only dwarves is very restrictive, but I will go for:

Fighter (DD) -Sword and shield-
    Fighter (Berserker) -Axes-
    F-Th (ranged)
    F-Cler -Flail-
    Cleric of lathander (The valley of the dead is a field trip with him/her. Bring beer) -Sling-
    Assassin (if you have RR) or Shadowdancer(if not) -Few skill points but that is why you have 2 thieves. Also to have mixed alignments.

In iwd i like vanilla fighters, thats all, but yes the berserker and dd kits are super strong.
    Assassin is why strong here ? Backstab is hard to land in harder difficulties and enemies track you regardless of stealth that is very annoying. Crippling strike rules is not mine i think.
    Venom and death attack for casters.
    I prefer a mage and/or a bard but since is an all-star-dwarven party, why not another thief?

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I agree swashbuckler is weaker than a fighter / thief but I find them fun and enjoy rping them
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I prefer a mage and/or a bard but since is an all-star-dwarven party, why not another thief?

Not sure what you mean by death attack, are you talking about Assassination HLA? If so, there's no HLA's in IWD, but maybe I've misunderstood you.

IMHO the only decent SC thief in IWD is the bounty hunter kit, but any version of MC thief far surpass even that in utility. Being all dwarf, F/T is the number one choice.
    Danacm
    Skatan wrote: »

Not sure what you mean by death attack, are you talking about Assassination HLA? If so, there's no HLA's in IWD, but maybe I've misunderstood you.

IMHO the only decent SC thief in IWD is the bounty hunter kit, but any version of MC thief far surpass even that in utility. Being all dwarf, F/T is the number one choice.

I think rogue rebalancing or another mod added death attack to assassin and @PsicoVic related to that version.
    Yes i agree with you @Skatan multiclass thiefs superior here, there is no hla or other things. So fighter/thief, cleric/thief, mage/thief ar all better than single class thieves.
    SkatanPsicoVic
    edited July 2019
    Agreed, but there is no dwarven cleric-thief or mage-thief and I do not really enjoy a party with 3 base-class fighters. There is another Fighter-thief at my party. With the limited options you asked I simply suggested two thieves to give you more gameplay options because if not sounds like a (no offense) very limited party.

If it was an all elven party no way I will recruit a single-class thief. Ever.
    Danacm
    I dont have problems with 3 fighters. In iwd with mass enemies its so strong to have 3 front liners.
  • IamdorfIamdorf Member Posts: 60
    I made a shorties party with three dwarves (fighter/cleric, fighter/thief, dwarven defender) One halfling fighter, and One gnome cleric/illusionist. In the end I wanted the ability to identify items and you need someone arcane for that. I wish you luck though.
  • VerticorVerticor Member Posts: 119
    Right. I have like 14 differently themed parties ready to go. I simply gave all characters a total score of 90. For ease, I guess. I don't know if that's overpowered, but all of my characters have that exact total score.

And naturally I also have a Dwarven themed party.

1) M LG Cleric
    13, 17, 16, 10, 18, 16
    Blunt, Sling

2) M LN Dwarven Defender
    18/47, 17, 19, 10, 10, 16
    (Throwing) Axe, Shield

3) F CN Barbarian
    18/79, 17, 19, 10, 14, 12
    Two-handed Sword, Longbow

4) M CG Fighter/Thief
    18/81, 17, 19, 10, 10, 16
    Long Sword, Dart

5) F TN Berserker
    18/57, 17, 19, 12, 12, 12
    Long Sword, Throwing Dagger

6) F NG Fighter
    18/61, 17, 19, 12, 14, 10
    Halberd/Spear, Crossbow
    Aerakar
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Due to the dwarven lich in SoD, I'd feel no pangs editing in a dwarven mage of some sort.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    There are also the dwarven Wild Mages Mironda and Barad Dings in BG2:EE.
    I enjoyed my dwarven party, it was so easy run with lots of warriors. One thing missed from arcane is identify :D no other arcane stuff needed in iwdee.
    I begin my new adventure with my drow party.
    Lolth send her cleric to investigate and stop her enemies, and weaken them (yxunomei, poquelin :D )
    The party is all elven:
    Cleric or lolth
    Blackguard
    Fightet/thief
    Fighter
    Fighter/mage

The two divine casters are female of course l.
    JuliusBorisovAerakarIamdorfWhiteheart