Skip to content

New BGIII Interviews with LarianCEO Swen Vincke in media:Advantage,Combat,Spells & main antagonists.

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited July 2019
    There is the good vampire trope that feeds on rats. Why not have a similar case for a good illithid? Probably it feeds on Noobers.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    lroumen wrote: »
    There is the good vampire trope that feeds on rats. Why not have a similar case for a good illithid? Probably it feeds on Noobers.

But that depends a lot of the setting and the vampire in question. For eg, on VtR depending your blood potency and on VtM depending the clan, you doesn't get any sustenance from feeding on animals. On D&D, there are no clear rule about vampires and blood from animals but "Vampires are always evil, which causes characters of certain classes to lose some class abilities. In addition, certain classes take additional penalties."https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Vampire

And the rule is clear that it affects Clerics depending the Domain and Sorcererers/Wizards familiars
    Clerics
    Vampire clerics lose their ability to turn undead but gain the ability to rebuke undead. This ability does not affect the vampire’s controller or any other vampires that a master controls. A vampire cleric has access to two of the following domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, or Trickery.

Sorcerers and Wizards
    Vampire sorcerers and wizards retain their class abilities, but if a character has a familiar other than a rat or bat, the link between them is broken, and the familiar shuns its former companion. The character can summon another familiar, but it must be a rat or bat.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm

If an pure good suddenly become pure evil or if gradually loses the empathy, is up to the DM. But the rules are clear. And in the case of illithid, an good illithid is like an good devil or an chaotic devil. Makes ZERO sense.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited July 2019
    German article!

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/baldurs-gate-3-erstes-gameplay-video-gamescom-kampfsystem,3345782.html

In the interview, Swen stated combat is not up for debate. Also said BG3 will only have 1 combat system but he didn't say which system. He also stated that it could be neither TB or RTWP.
    Gameplay will not be shown at Gamescom either.

BG3 will have Early Access like DOS 1+2!
    edited July 2019

Sorcerers and Wizards
    Vampire sorcerers and wizards retain their class abilities, but if a character has a familiar other than a rat or bat, the link between them is broken, and the familiar shuns its former companion. The character can summon another familiar, but it must be a rat or bat.
    Interesting. At least you will have a quick snack nearby at all times. Unless you are a Ventrue wannabe or something. :D (yeah, mixin worlds)

PsicoVic wrote: »

Sorcerers and Wizards
    Interesting. At least you will have a quick snack nearby at all times. Unless you are a Ventrue wannabe or something. :D (yeah, mixin worlds)

LOL...

I think that is hard to compare an game with vampires with an game focused on vampires, anyway on VtR vampires with blood potency of 1-2 can feed on animals, but can't cast any discipline above lv 2 ( http://wodpedia.wikidot.com/blood-potency )

Anyway, on Pathfinder, to gain the benefit of feeding, you need to feed upon an creature with at least 5 INT "If an undead creature can sate its hunger by feeding on a living creature with an Intelligence score of 5 or higher, it gains the following benefits from the feeding. These benefits are in addition to any listed in the creature’s feeding-related ability." ( https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/vampire/ )

But my point is. If on Pathfinder and VtR after BP, vampires need blood of at least relative intelligent creatures, an "brain eater" should need have an similar restriction.

I wish that if Illithids become very present on BG3, they force the player to take "hard decisions" , for eg, free the slaves knowing that an hostage will be killed or not? They offer peace in exchange of you offering the criminals to then "eat". Do you accept? Or if an NOBLE had an similar deal and start to sentense people to death for minor infractions due pressure from then.

An example of what i an talking about can be observed on hotu - nwn2 (minor spoilers = chap 2)
    You can get then as an ally or free the slaves and make defend an city harder. Also, you can become one of they slaves in certain part.
    Damn you, rulebook!
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    edited July 2019
    But the alignment does no longer prevent you from being a Paladin..
    You just need to change the oath a bit.

The Planeshift Ixalan pdf (Homebrew made by Wizards) has highly religious Vampires as a player race and gives you a modified oath for them:
    Tenets of Blood
    The vampires of the Legion of Dusk can hardly be considered good, but they do favor law and a sense of honor. The tenets of the vampire paladins’ oath reflect that view.

Honesty. Don’t demean yourself with lying and cheating. Don’t make promises you can’t keep.

Courage. Never let a foe see your fear.

Honor. Treat your peers with fairness and your lessers with exactly what they deserve. Those who recognize your position deserve at least a modicum of respect.

Duty. Your actions should serve the aims of the queen and the church, and not bring dishonor to either. Take responsibility for your actions and their consequences, and obey your superiors.

(They are also forbidden from drinking blood of someone who is not a criminal. Foreigners are obviously criminals.)

(For those who are curious, the Magic colors of the Dusk Legion are White/Black)

If you are interested, the Planeshifts are all free on Wizards homepage.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    German article!

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/baldurs-gate-3-erstes-gameplay-video-gamescom-kampfsystem,3345782.html

In the interview, Swen stated combat is not up for debate. Also said BG3 will only have 1 combat system but he didn't say which system. He also stated that it could be neither TB or RTWP.

Hey I predicted right at the beginning the combat system could be something that is a hybrid of TB and RTwP or something completely new. :)

If someone has a full translation of the article, please post.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    German article!

That's probably smart. I would think it will have to be a combination if he says "neither," i.e., framing it that it is not definitively one or the other.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    German article!

Hey I predicted right at the beginning the combat system could be something that is a hybrid of TB and RTwP or something completely new. :)

I'll paraphrase the article paragraph for paragraph. I will put my own comments into []
    Lets start:

The first paragraph is just about the difficulty to get the pictures for the article.

The Quote talks about showing gameplay footage - at the E3 2020. They want to show something else for the GamesCon [Probably Divinty].

The journalist reacts to the quote by repeating that Larian will not show any "moving gameplay footage" and notes that it was expected to be the place of reveal noting that germany has a large number of fans of classical party rpgs.

The next paragraph mentions the large discussion of TB vs RT.

The last part by the journalist notes that Vincke is unwilling to give the battle system to a vote, even though Baldurs Gate will get some sort of early-access or betaphase before release. He also notes that Divinity got [apparently] a lot of praise for its battle system.

The closing quote:
    "We will present it (in a video) and say: We will do it like that. We will not change it. No matter if the battles will be turn based or real time with pause or if we turn Baldurs Gate 3 into a racing game: There will always be people who disagree, for whatever reasons. Because of this it is important be able to show the battles (to say): This is how they look, this is how they feel [can't think of a better translation, sorry]. And then we will do that exactly like this."

Also, regarding the quote: Baldurs Gate as a racing game confirmed. You heard it here first folks!

Or will just the battles be resolved via racing? No I'm unsure again =(
    edited July 2019
    Thanks, @Arcanis

When I asked for a new thievery system I did not mean Grand Thief Auto: Baldur´s Gate. (I'm joking, I do not think the change is so radical). But I hope it is not a transition to a Warhammer: Vermintide action type of combat or something similar. As a crpg-strategy games fan that would really are not to my taste.

Although a racing with Minsc riding boo and sarevok driving a Iron throne or Charname in a "shiny one" Cespenar-car, all in a Super-Mario-style race would be funny. There was a racing minigame as a map for warcraft 3, funny thing.

We will have to wait to know: The gamescom in Cologne is in 22-24 August. And hey said that the gameplay will not be show in there. ed: They probably showcase "Divinity Fallen Heroes" there.
    Larian have a "close doors" policy and they will never give much info before they show the entire gameplay.
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
    @PsicoVic
    Apropos crpg-strategy: I always wanted to make a campaign in WBC where you play as one of Sarevoks minions and have to build up his organization.
    Fighting through Cloakwood to recapture the Mine, build the bandit base and raid the country side, that stuff. Maybe the later levels he leaves Sarevoks services (because Gorians Ward destroys everything) and he needs to fend of Sarevoks Wrath and build a new base.

I really think I nice strategy-rpg hybrid to show the rise of Sarevok would be a nice side game. =)
    edited July 2019
    That is a great idea. Unlike in the DAO "Darkspawn" DLC, your minions and henchman actually speak XD

You have lots of npc: Angelo, Korlazs, Tamoko, Davaeorn and Stepgah, Tazok, etc.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "Even if we decide to make BG a racing game, you can all suck it."

Thanks Larian! You instill me with so much confidence.
    At least the first time you see the gameplay will you know whether you could buy it or not.
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Larian can announce an BG3 as an mobile Battle Royale game and people will defend then...
    No, people will assume that it is a joke.
    Or wonder if they got drunk (unlikely since belgian beer is bad -_-).

At first I was kinda ..confused by Vinckes rather hostile statement, but I am kinda understanding it.
    Putting aside that it really is impossible to please everyone, too many good games have been ruined by trying exactly that.

I think he sees the battle system as the most divise part of his game and if he really wants to incorperate feedback he wants to make sure that the feedback is on parts that are ..more up to debate.

Also, that quote coupled with the general secrecy about the system seems like they made something new and unusual, thus the reluctance to show it without letting people try it out.

Maybe they tried to convert the combat faithfully, but used some graphical modifications to disguise many combat mechanics to give it a more fluid scene. But if their conversion is not really visable, they need to have the possibility to let the people try it out so that they can feel that it really is faithful.
    That is just a very optimistic theory of the annoying secrecy of Larian on this topic.
    There is a good chance that it is mostly to fan the flames of hype.

Anyways, the thing is, if Larian think their combat and gameplay is special and can capture the feel of Baldurs Gate *as well as* p&p, I say let them try.
    Should it fail, it failed because of their vision - not because they tried to make everyone happy by changing it late in production.
    If they succeed, then they prove that they can handle the franchise - if they fail, then it is jsut to judge them for it, because it was their *own* work.

Still, I wonder why he sounded so hostile, maybe the discussion are toxic over at Larians own forum?
  • GyorGyor Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2019
    German article!

I'm thinking something like the VATS system from Fallout 3/New Vegas, real time, but you pause and it becomes turn based. Obviously instead of using Fallout 2 style turn based combat while paused it will use modified D&D 5e rules. I'd be cool with that, it'd stop the rift in the fan base. Purists of one camp or the other will be disappointed that there side doesn't get everything, but not so much that they won't deal with it.

Yes it will take resources, but your talking about a budget that is likely in the 10 of millions of dollars with a team measured in the hundreds, they have those resources to spare, and once the essencial elements and encounter design rules are done, it won't take much to expand upon it.

This would actually allow for a lot of cool systems and flexible game play.

Google translate version below.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/baldurs-gate-3-erstes-gameplay-video-gamescom-kampfsystem,3345782.html&xid=17259,15700022,15700186,15700191,15700256,15700259,15700262&usg=ALkJrhhd_qqFJ4W-MnMI1NWweriuewsHAQ

More interview info below, but part of it's behind a pay wall, including his answer on the question what classes and races are in it. *bites though a Titanium pipe in frustration*.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/baldurs-gate-3-preview-early-access-kamera,3345543.html&xid=17259,15700022,15700186,15700191,15700256,15700259,15700262&usg=ALkJrhiIwBMfR1WTLUo6c8vpMmD5neYRLg
    @Gyor I have not read the articles yet, but my guess is that he said something like "we plan to bring the races and classes of the 5th edition into the game" or smething like that.
    I really doubt he really gave any concrete information, sicne he seems to believe that encouraging discussion about the idea of BG3 and our interpretation of the snippets is better than give us material to actually discuss the game itself.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Well, combining TB with RT is nothing new, even Might and Magic did that 20 years ago. I'd be favorably impressed if they made something actually new, though.
    Thanks, @Arcanis

When I asked for a new thievery system I did not mean Grand Thief Auto: Baldur´s Gate. (I'm joking, I do not think the change is so radical). But I hope it is not a transition to a Warhammer: Vermintide action type of combat or something similar. As a crpg-strategy games fan that would really are not to my taste.

Although a racing with Minsc riding boo and sarevok driving a Iron throne or Charname in a "shiny one" Cespenar-car, all in a Super-Mario-style race would be funny. There was a racing minigame as a map for warcraft 3, funny thing.

We will have to wait to know: The gamescom in Cologne is in 22-24 August. And hey said that the gameplay will not be show in there. ed: They probably showcase "Divinity Fallen Heroes" there.
    Larian have a "close doors" policy and they will never give much info before they show the entire gameplay.

Given that you can kill almost everyone in the game, Grand Theft Nautiliod: Baldur's Gate might not be far off. I'm hoping we can steal the Illithid's Spelljanming Octopus.
    Gyor wrote: »
    German article!

I'm thinking something like the VATS system from Fallout 3/New Vegas, real time, but you pause and it becomes turn based. Obviously instead of using Fallout 2 style turn based combat while paused it will use modified D&D 5e rules. I'd be cool with that, it'd stop the rift in the fan base. Purists of one camp or the other will be disappointed that there side doesn't get everything, but not so much that they won't deal with it.

Yes it will take resources, but your talking about a budget that is likely in the 10 of millions of dollars with a team measured in the hundreds, they have those resources to spare, and once the essencial elements and encounter design rules are done, it won't take much to expand upon it.

This would actually allow for a lot of cool systems and flexible game play.

Google translate version below.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/baldurs-gate-3-erstes-gameplay-video-gamescom-kampfsystem,3345782.html&xid=17259,15700022,15700186,15700191,15700256,15700259,15700262&usg=ALkJrhhd_qqFJ4W-MnMI1NWweriuewsHAQ

More interview info below, but part of it's behind a pay wall, including his answer on the question what classes and races are in it. *bites though a pipe in frustration*.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/baldurs-gate-3-preview-early-access-kamera,3345543.html&xid=17259,15700022,15700186,15700191,15700256,15700259,15700262&usg=ALkJrhiIwBMfR1WTLUo6c8vpMmD5neYRLg
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Larian can announce an BG3 as an mobile Battle Royale game and people will defend then...

Rumour on the streets have it that BG 3 combat is going to be loot box based, you buy a loot box each battle and it decides if you win or lose. If you lose, you just keep buying loot boxes till you win. They expect capture 65% of gambling addicts market by 2021. Of course I'm kidding.
    edited July 2019
    Ardanis wrote: »
    Well, combining TB with RT is nothing new, even Might and Magic did that 20 years ago. I'd be favorably impressed if they made something actually new, though.

I think that he is reluctant to see how the combat will work and it has one of 2 reasons
    A ) He knows the backlash and wanna wait until the right moment, when the EA/M$ do something horrible to release the information
    B ) He developed an innovative system and wanna surprise the population.

Anyway, recently i tested thanks to summer sale Divine Divinity and literally all of my complains against D:OS2 doesn't apply to this masterpiece. If BG3 becomes DD like, i would't hate, but would't consider good as BG1/2.
    edited July 2019
    @SorcererV1ct0r I liked very much the classics "Beyond divinity" and "Divine divinity" (Survivalist FTW) Enjoy!
    Rumour on the streets have it that BG 3 combat is going to be loot box based, you buy a loot box each battle and it decides if you win or lose. If you lose, you just keep buying loot boxes till you win. They expect capture 65% of gambling addicts market by 2021. Of course I'm kidding.
    Did EA buy Larian? :D I saw that in a nightmare.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Not yet, but they will in several years. That's just how this industry works.
    At least Microsoft promised the minimum necessary creative freedom to the Inxile and Obsidian teams when they bought them (or so they say) and have rules against "crunching". EA... they are EA. Just look at Bioware's debacle.

BTW, @Ardanis nice avatar

I disagree. Larian is a european developer, they will be bought out by Ubisoft. u_u