Skip to content

IWD:EE does not listen for "Direct/Local Connection"

postnukepostnuke Member Posts: 12
I have an issue with LOCAL IWD Multiplayer:
If i host a session for local network, IWD does not listen on any network port for connections.
I read in some older posts it should be listening on port 47624, but that doesnt happen on my PC.

When testing with Baldurs Gate instead, both BG:EE and BG2:EE seem to listen on port 47630 (correct me if im wrong). They both work perfectly in this Matter.

Im running IWD:EE version 2.5.17.0 on a PC with Win10. (BG:EE same version, BG2:EE version 2.5.16.6)

Can anyone confirm hosting a session for direct connection with successfull connection attempt in IWD:EE & maybe post the port used by the application..?

(PS - Believe me: there is no firewall issue.. Also: pls excuse my english competence)

Comments

• postnukepostnuke Member Posts: 12
    you can test this easily by opening IWD twice, hosting a "local network game" in one instance, conecting in the other instance via "direct connection" to address 127.0.0.1 which refers to your local computer.

as stated it works in both BG's but not in IWD (for me)

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The EEs don't neet port-forwarding. You should be able to create a LAN game, then enter the IP, and connect. If the connection doesn't happen then it's a firewall issue.
    thx for the fast reply!
    i can definitely exclude a firewall issue.
    im talking of connecting from my local computer to my local computer for testing. no port forwarding or any other network device is involved.
    thx for you opinion..
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The issue you might be experiencing can happen because of the bigger issue - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/76051/multiplayer-lobby-servers-down-for-bg-ee/p1
    thx again for the quick reaction.
    im aware of the currently ongoing problem with internet games, but im really only working on my local machine.
    the lobby-making/finding-system from the servers is definitely not involved.

hope somebody will be able/willing to test that..

(ps: the link you posted lead me to a "permission problem" page, but i got a good guess whats it about)
    ah that "permission problem" was due to not having my email address confirmed yet, excuse my ignorance :)
    JuliusBorisov
    the networking problem is still unsolved though.
    hoping for confirmation of success on another computer, that would delimit the problem to my machine.
    JuliusBorisov
    found a volunteer who applied my test instructions (see post #2).
    he had the same results: bg:ee works, bg2:ee works, iwd:ee fails & opens no listening connection.
    still hoping for confirmation on any other computer..
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @postnuke, it seems that there is something happening here... I did a couple of tests.

Firewall (just Win10 Defender Firewall) still operational with games having access inbound and outbound, private and public.

When hosting a LAN game with internet connected, the game was listening to a port (random, first one was 52411, next was 65134 etc) but it was connnected through the remote server. No local LAN game could be seen by either my wife's PC or on the local PC.

With the internet disconnected (phone line disconnected) and a new game hosted from my PC, IWDEE was listening on port 47630 (each time). A LAN game was able to be established from my wife's PC as well as connecting with a second game running on my PC.

On both internet connected and disconnected, BG1EE was able to host a LAN game. Didn't try BG2EE.

Not just your machine
    Gus
    JuliusBorisovpostnuke
    hi @Gusinda , thx for trying!
    interesting that it works with cut internet connection, i will test this myself.
    Let me know how you go. If this is the case for you as well, then it is a bug that needs to be looked at and an entry in the Redmine database. If you don't want to do it, I can make the entry, just let me know either way.

All the best
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov
    i tested this now & get the same behaviour:

behavior with internet connection:
    when entering the multiplayer menu iwd connects to the beamdog service for the list of open lobbys etc @ 52.39.37.2 ( http://ec2-52-39-37-2.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com ).
    then, when hosting a local network game there is no listening socket opened on port 47630.

if found two scenarios to get iwd to correctly listen:

scenario 1: (as @Gusinda pointed out)
    - disconnect from internet before entering multiplayer menu
    - host a local network game
    - iwd will listen on port 47630 and clients can connect to the session
    (for me in this case the game has sewere lags on host & clients, my guess due to failing connection attempts)
    (did not test reconnection to internet after session start)

scenario 2:
    - enter multiplayer menu
    - actively close the beamdog-service-connection to 52.39.37.2 via OS functions
    - now host a local network game
    - iwd will listen on port 47630 and clients can connect to the session
    (no lag experienced in this scenario)

JuliusBorisovGusinda
    filed a bug report @ https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/40754 .

thanks for pointing me in that direction.
    JuliusBorisovGusinda
    Good stuff @postnuke. Like the second option. Will have to keep that in mind. I didn't test for lag which makes me wonder what happens for those environments that don't have Internet access (shudder to think it) but are just playing with a wireless router and no WAN connection.

Gus
    JuliusBorisov
    update:

the issue does not happen when the lobby is created by loading a game.

its its however not possible to start a "new game" via normal means.

(simple workaround: only host starts new game & saves, then recreates lobby via load game)
    GusindaJuliusBorisov
    damn that took me a month ;)
    GusindaJuliusBorisov
  • internetplayinternetplay Member Posts: 2
    Is this ever going to be fixed? We just purchased BG & IWD. BG/II works fine but I confirmed that IWD does not listen on a port for direct connection even when you block 52.39.37.2 or disable the internet.

IWD works fine if you connect thru Beamdog. I'm just concerned that when they stop supporting the game (paying the rent on the servers) that the game won't be able to use multiplayer.