Skip to content

Planning some paid DLC

Comments

• gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    edited July 2012
    I absolutely loved Fallout: New Vegas. I bought the ultimate edition, and Lonesome Road and Dead Money both had amazing stories and characters, but the gameplay of Dead money was just horrible (bloody explosive collar). But i still have to play it, the plot is just too good to be skipped. If the DLCs for Baldurs Gate will be as good as Dead Money it will be the first time i get a DLC without an ultimate edition.
    Edit: Vera Keyes' story was so amazing and tragic, and the whole let go theme, just mindblowing. Enough spoilers now.
    Post edited by geselle on
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I'd rather spend 10$ on BG:EE than 10$ on GoG's BG : The Original Saga. DLC is bonus content and optionnal
  • salomonkanesalomonkane Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2012
    PAID DLC -?!-

Post edited by salomonkane on
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    IF they change the name DLC to premium module/ content what then? That was pure positive recieved by the nwn fanbase.
    I was merely answering Kharador who's complaining about BG:EE being a ripoff because "it's just the old game with some added stuff mods already do".
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Well, if the base game costs $10, then a new map area (with quests such as dungeon, castle, ect...) should only cost AT MOST $1 each. I have my doubts though, a lot of work went into TotSC way back when, can we really expect quality expansions of that caliber on a stripped budget? I doubt it. Regardless, the original game w/user mods is more than good enough! ;)
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2012
    Cool! =)

...must be patient....
    Gee I hope you won't overproduce the new joinable npc. It would feel terribly out of place, if all your party is not or barely voiced and all of a sudden the new npc starts bursting through your speakers/headphone. Hope he fits into existing characters, without being too noticeable.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2012
    @geselle they wont, leave that much to them, they wouldnt take on this project, if they didnt think they have what it takes to remake and improve one of the best games ever made.
    And that is also why there are the forums to hear some feedback and maybe include some of it.

(there are those who remake great games and turn them upside down, but here we have staff from the original game we can expect something good I would say)
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    All the fans have your word @TrentOster. I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my comments but I haven't insulted anyone and I have advocated a very respectable point of view like any other. Thanks.

-Kharador
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited July 2012
    Content by professional artists and devs led by former Baldur's Gate developers is awesome. The more awesome, the better. I could hardly care less how it's distributed or how much it'll cost. I would already buy BGEE 10 times just to vote with my wallet for more party-based tactical isometric rpgs.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    We promise to work hard to avoid cocking it up!.

-Trent
    The project is in good hands..
    Hey everyone let's wait & see what they do before we bust their balls about DLC etc..
    After all they did pretty good the first time around ;)

They were not only doing good, they kicked ass while chewing bubblegum.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    They were not only doing good, they kicked ass while chewing bubblegum.
    Yuuup..created my favorite games of ALL TIME. If they keep putting these out I seriously doubt I'd ever even bother to play any other games..yeah I'm that much of a fanboy :-)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I will reserve any view to a latter moment, after beta tests, demos and advertising material appear.

the line of work is already set, them let's give it a good shake and see what falls out!
    Den of stinkin' evil~
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2012
    I was just thinking that if there is a lot of DLC, I'd be interested in a Season Pass. Most big console releases today offer you the option to buy all of the DLC upfront in a Season Pass for a discounted price and then just download all of the latest DLC as its released. I wouldn't mind committing myself to all of the DLC if I saved $5 or so compared to what I would pay buying it all separately.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited July 2012
    Did you know?

"In a series of tweets yesterday, Trent Oster revealed plans for DLC for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Trent promises the full Baldur's Gate experience will be included with the initial release but they have more content - including paid DLC - planned:

We plan to support the game after release with DLC.

We'll be doing free feature improvements and existing content improvements as we go, but we are also planning some paid DLC.

We would never DLC existing content. Any DLC content we plan to sell will be all new.

DLC=Downloadable Content, not furry earrings +3. The big guys have overcooked the term with badness. New BG storylines, New characters.

Prior, Trent also said they were in a "holding pattern" for approval to release more news and that cloud saves were planned.

News-wise, we're in a holding pattern on approvals and getting new content submitted into the approvals pipeline.

We've got cloud saves in our plans. Those plans have yet to be realized. I'm hopeful, but it could be pushed post-ship."

Source: http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57507
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    DLC=Downloadable Content, not furry earrings +3. The big guys have overcooked the term with badness. New BG storylines, New characters.
    Myeah... if they're hellbent on going with smaller DLC-tidbits over a true expansion model (like TotSC or ToB) I really hope they can steer away from the temptation of releasing Furry Earring-esque packs. So far, I haven't seen any DLC release from any game that made me think the model made any sense except from a business perspective.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Merged the threads because they were basically the same.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    There is abolutely nothing wrong with DLC. They are basically smaller portions of contect instead of one large expansion. The way large corporations use them (pay 5$ for 1 new map, 4$ for new weapon, 3$ for new skin) is of course ridiculous and in no way I support such product, but for some serious new content, why not...

Little problem I see is, game developers from western side of Atlantic don´t realise, that certain part of Europe(middle and east) players don´t have required or any internet connection. Corporations doesn´t care for a few hundreds sales they lose in these regions, when they put any kind of DRM to their game. So regular expansions are certainly more popular than DLCs here.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    I can be on the internet to download updates and new content, but I must be able to run and play the game offline 'cause my PC isn't always in a place where it can connect, and I want to be able to play regardless.
  • DoveberryDoveberry Member Posts: 24
    I LOVE DLC!
    And I'll happily pay for the work needed to develop it. I can enjoy paid DLC alongside free mods. The more content is made available to me, the happier I'll be.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    (*irony on*) It`s interesting I don't see anyone criticizing DLCs such as Dawnguard on Skyrimm, it`s just one new quest why should you pay for it? (*irony off*)

The way I see it, Baldur`s Gate is a niche game, the developers are well aware of the still strong mod community that exists and are making the game as mod compatible a possible, considering the amount of engine overhaul we're hearing about.

So I don`t think they will remove anything from such an well known game to make it a DLC, it would be suicidal to them. They won`t lose time making new armor sets or equipment. The modding community will be providing those and more in a very short time after the differences between the classic and enhanced are learned.

This niche market is quick to spread the news, and any idiotic attittude from the developers will spread lie fire. It will be quick to hit sites such as Gibberling Three and Spellhold Studios, the two main mod sites for everything Baldur`s Gate related in no time at all.

I certainly would pay for a well written NPC that has a well planned dvelopment a will be with you all the way to TOB.

I certainly would pay for a well written adventure, actually I have in the past donated to mod authors who wrote quality material.

So I don`t really see a reason for the outcry against DLC in the game. If it's good buy it and support the game. If it isn't then just don't buy it.

Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my first language :)