Skip to content

An interesting survey on Obsidian forums

MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
It was supposed to be about DLCs but said a lot about cRPG community and it's preferences:
https://forums.obsidian.net/blogs/entry/206-the-results-of-our-recent-dlc-survey/

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Quite a lot of fascinating info from that survey. (And in particular, I was astounded to see just how skewed the ratio of male to female gamers is for the RPG genre! I'd have thought within the last couple of decades we'd have started to approach parity, especially since the ratio is now almost 50% for MMOs, a closely related genre.)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, I remember their survey (it was created in 2017).

Larian also did their survey, currently, the pdf file is deleted, sadly (the second one is PvP):

But you can find the parts of it here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/larian-ran-a-huge-survey-on-what-gamers-want-from-rpgs-results-are-in.1419928/ and on the Codex, including:

1xjE880.png
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Quite a lot of fascinating info from that survey. (And in particular, I was astounded to see just how skewed the ratio of male to female gamers is for the RPG genre! I'd have thought within the last couple of decades we'd have started to approach parity, especially since the ratio is now almost 50% for MMOs, a closely related genre.)

Was quite surprised to see it too. Even considering all limitations (survey was specifically about DLCs to Obsidian games) - still, it's a bit shocking.

Want to think in more modern RPGs we are closer to parity and those 48% / 52% are real.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited July 2019
    I'm not sure what you find so surprising about gender distribution? It's not Bioware or MMO, it's Obsidian, whose trade in recent years has been the retro games, for ages associated with nerdy neckbeards. I'd be more surprised (and terrified, let's be honest here) if the ratio was even remotely even. You might as well have an eroge company make a demographics poll and then wonder why 99% of respondents were male.
    Well, NWN2 is kind of Bioware? I guess, I hoped MMOs did show to everyone (these days) that RPGs are fun. Probably it did not work backwards, so to speak, and advertisement for PoE indeed targeted only old nostalgic BG fans (hence, mostly men). Or almost all those 6% came from NWN2 and were in TA for PoE, so did not change?
    edited July 2019
    NWN2 is over a decade old. MotB may have got 32% of votes, but it may as well be interpreted that its 68% female audience have abandoned the company (and therefore didn't see the poll) and been replaced with new TA after it began making isometric games.
    Good point about isometric games. Feel like a double minority now :(
    You make it sound like something bad.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It might be because rpgs are so heavily conflated with computer gaming. I'm not sure how correct my impressions are, so these are assumptions, but I've gotten the feeling that most female gamers play on consoles.

If I'm excused for making even further assumptions, I'd say that this also correlates with rpgs very popular among women being more console friendly, like the Mass Effect games.
    scriver wrote: »
    It might be because rpgs are so heavily conflated with computer gaming. I'm not sure how correct my impressions are, so these are assumptions, but I've gotten the feeling that most female gamers play on consoles.

Strictly out of curiosity, not for arguing - why do you think so?
    You are exposed to PCs all day long (at least on work), running a game on PC you already own (or around all the time) is a simple logical step regardless of gender and interests in games, while console you have to consciously buy first specifically to play games. So, for playing on the console you have to be a gamer already.

I can understand new generation - console is a simple no-brainer for a gift for many parents, so, kids are exposed to these from the cribs. But that would be genderless - all kids get it. But why would adult women, not men (who are supposed to like to gather for simple activities accompanied by a lot of beer, if we stick to cliche) prefer consoles?

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I never meant to imply that consoles aren't more popular with men than computers - as far as I know consoles are more popular gaming platforms than computers in general. I also think that computer gaming has lost a lot of popularity to consoles overall, and to me it feels more likely that a person new to gaming would approach a console rather than a computer as well as be more likely to be introduced to video games by friends through a console.

The above was assumptions though, as stated, and I don't base them on anything much more concrete than "this is the impression I've gotten from people around me".

I guess I should also add that I don't think the numbers in the poll are an accurate percentage at all, they are far too extrend; I think they are very likely to habe been heavily skewed by the demographics of whatever communities they were presented to.
    scriver wrote: »
    I never meant to imply that consoles aren't more popular with men than computers - as far as I know consoles are more popular gaming platforms than computers in general. I also think that computer gaming has lost a lot of popularity to consoles overall, and to me it feels more likely that a person new to gaming would approach a console rather than a computer as well as be more likely to be introduced to video games by friends through a console.

The above was assumptions though, as stated, and I don't base them on anything much more concrete than "this is the impression I've gotten from people around me".

Just in case - I am not offended or anything, just genuinely curious why women could be considered TA for consoles. To be honest, other than a gift from someone or a decision of an already a gamer I can not imagine why would anyone decide to get a console. But it's a subject for another topic.

As for popularity of PC ... I don't know - have you seen how many console exclusives came to PC lately? Or how practically every game is PC too? (well, consoles war is still there, but outside of it - PC is almost always an option) I have a feeling PC market is growing.
    I don't think it has to do with consoles themselves, but rather the type of games better suited for consoles. You can't exactly play a good strategy on your sofa, because unless you've got perfect vision you just won't be able to see all the vital info on numerous control panels. But you can play a nice cinematic narrative-driven game like Bioware's.

Now, if we look at some random screenshots of recent Obsidian games, what do we see? Tiny icons and repulsively ugly portraits. Even if there's some kind of a story behind that (I don't know, haven't played those), there's still the interface design better suited for and associated with management and control, than for visual story telling.

I can't remember off the top of my hat even a single identified female strategy player I'd ever run into. But there're plenty to find if you look at the above mentioned Bioware, or in movies' discussions. Apparently women just don't seem to like tinkering with digits as much as men do.
    Relevant:

https://www.polygon.com/2015/9/8/9273799/divinity-original-sin-2-women-female-players-pc-rpg

http://www.lar.net/2015/09/07/where-are-the-women/

Most likely, the results Obsidian got are because of the same factors Swen had mentioned.

Very interesting read, thank you!
    edited July 2019
    Mirandel wrote: »
    For me console and controllers is an abomination imposed by mega-corporations on a brainwashed audience and should be purged with fire. For any type of games.
    No argument from me on that :D
    By "recent Obsidian games" you mean PoE1&2 ? Or Tyranny? And you missed on them all? Well, your loss. The games a great.
    I have PoE1, DoS1 and Tyranny, and basically zero inclination to install any... There're many great things in life I'm gonna miss regardless, adding a few more to the list won't make a difference.
    Ardanis wrote: »
    Seriously, that's here a true sexists generalization if I ever saw one. (Again - not offended or anything, just laughing)
    I would not be so bold to divide games by gender. For example, The Sims should be classified as a "girls game" - should not it? Yet, I have not seen a girl running blog about dressing her Sims, while I can name guys doing so. Also, can not talk about popularity of strategy games among genders (I do know another girl who likes them, but would not call her or me an exclusive strategy player) but you would not argue that GTA or PUBG are more popular among guys than strategy games, would you?
    I'm not sure what could there be to take offence at in the first place? A "***ist generalization" is the most proper and reasonable thing to do when observed statistics (4%) suggest it's true. In the absence of other known factors anyway.

In any case, I've been trying to figure a reason as to how those 4% came to be, that's all.
    I feel like I've read that article few years ago.
    We had a few commenters bringing up the “nostalgia” factor that applies to CRPGs. This factor does not appeal as much to women, as there were less women gaming at the original peak of CRPGs in the 1980s and 1990s, and so us talking about a old-school RPG or reviewers calling it a modern Baldur’s Gate didn’t help.
    Could be, but the female to male ratio on BG modding boards certainly wasn't 4% during their better days. BG wasn't a low budget indie title at the time of its release, of course, so I guess its demographics split would be comparable to that with contemporary titles. But the recent wave of retro RPGs certainly does not live up to modern expectations of high end graphics you'd normally see in AAA titles.

So, either there're reasons, some of which we've guessed, why only male audience cares about isometrics, or Swen might be onto something here:
    Next up, most of the reactions I got from women really do indicate they won’t engage in the communities around games for a variety of reasons. This brings up interesting questions about how they learn about what games they’ll like. My guess would be that critic scores might be quite important here.

PS
    Nudity mod would be created buy a guy, proportional and appealing bodies - from girls.
    That's interesting, kinda answers my curiosity why so many female artists are drawing anime girls but rarely dudes.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Ha, I used to love drawing, but it always weirded me out to draw anything female. I couldn't stand doing it. I was the same way when trying to write, I think I'm by no means unique in this either. This was very much something I needed to work/grow out of.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Maybe it's a reflection of the kind of anime I see, but I always assumed that most anime artists were male.
    Don't know enough about animation industry to make any assessment, but among VN character artists whose gender I know more than half are women.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Ardanis wrote: »
    Don't know enough about animation industry to make any assessment, but among VN character artists whose gender I know more than half are women.

From what I know, traditionally the anime industry used to be very heavily male-dominated, but as the genre took off and diversified, a lot more female artists are coming in. As you mentioned, they're especially common in the VN sector, and they're also a lot more common in South Korea and other Asian countries rather than Japan (which still seems to be fairly heavily male-dominated).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited July 2019
    The richest woman in Japan is a female manga writer: Rumio Takahashi. Heck, she is the top selling female comic artist of all time, selling 170 million copies of her work in Japan alone. I have no data on the actual distribution of female vs. male artists, but there are enough successful female manga artists that I SPECUALTE its not too far off parity.

edited for spelling. The best part is, I spelled the same word right twice and misspelled it 2 different ways in the same comment. I don't know how I do these things.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    edited July 2019
    That's just one player though, so statistically it's still under 5%.
    Modders on Nexus could be, probably, a better indication of what aspects of the games are more appealing to what genders.
    So I've tried to remember what was the gender split between quest/NPC and combat/system mods on BG scene, and... only Nythrun comes to mind, who was strictly from fix/system/coding department and had nothing to do with writing. Also probably Erephine and Almateria (and I thought for a long while she was a dude :D ) may count as well. I might be forgetting someone else or two, but while there're comparable figures in regards to writing, in the technical area it's quite lopsided.

Which brings us back to what I said about dated graphics not particularly being associated with immersive story. Even if you know there is some inside. While browsing Steam, I occasionally get some RPGMaker recommendations, and they proclaim in description to have an epic story of X... okay, yeah, I'll take your word for it, but I wouldn't really bother even if I knew for a fact it was written by CA and GRRM duo.
    edited July 2019
    EDIT Ignore this.
    It doesn't break any argument, totally or partially, because there was no argument to break in the first place. Truly, it's fascinating how making observation based on third-party data can result in "That's XXXist! Not all XXX are Y, some are Z too! Why can't you understand that?!" Like, interpreting your own prejudice as someone else's argument and missing the point entirely.

Apparently I was mistaken and there was no real interest in finding out where the figures in the poll may have come from, if it has as much as a chance to contradict the dogma of modern social religion. Apologies for dragging my ugly bigoted nazi self here.
    Post edited by Ardanis on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited July 2019
    I don't know what that dogma is. Just saw your argument - aka observation - based on "the top of your hat" with which I disagreed. Semiticgod posted his own observation as a reply to your argument. You posted again another conclusion with which I disagreed. I don't know which my own prejudice you mean. When I see something I don't agree with I usually say that.

I believe there is a real interest in finding out where the figures in the poll may have come from, it's just that I can't agree with your observation.

It would be helpful if you clarified the point more so that it's not missed.
    edited July 2019
    semiticgod wrote: »
    I was just responding to "I can't remember off the top of my hat even a single identified female strategy player I'd ever run into" by saying "I do know a single identified female strategy player." I was kind of surprised someone on this forum hadn't heard of Alesia.
    I'm not sure how "off the top of my head" can be read as Rule 30 of the Internet, but whatever.
    I believe there is a real interest in finding out where the figures in the poll may have come from, it's just that I can't agree with your observation.
    Well, the criteria suggested by Mirandel (check who mods what) supplements that, as far as IE games are concerned.
    There're dozens of female users on this forum who enjoyed PoE and liked characters there to the point of even creating fanart, eg.
    And to be honest, I think almost every single one of us can be dismissed by default, because we're here for nostalgia reasons, having played BG for many years before this forum even existed. The regulars here would naturally have interest in PoE.
    The percentage of MotB owners does however suggest that the majority of respondents were new players (age figures suggest that too). And since MotB came out five years after BG2, I would speculate even fewer respondents used to be BG players.
    That may sound contradictory to the fact PoE was advertised specifically to BG fanbase, but then it's already been two years since its release when the poll was made - which is a long time nowadays, when games are piling up faster than they can be complete even once. And the sales figures of PoE2 (and Tyranny) tell me the majority of PoE1 players, aka original BG fanbase, weren't particularly interested in staying with the company.

PS Actually, have taken another look at games distribution, and NWN almost matches PoE there (Tyranny is very dead though). So apparently most of them were players of FNV, of which I honestly know next to nothing about.