Skip to content

Familiars in Multiplayer

Hello everyone

I have a crying girl here and need help.

I have started BG:EE with the female above mentioned. I let her being Gorions child and made a char for my own.
But this was not playable - we lost the connection every time we saved because her notebook is just so bad. (15 seconds for a BG:EE save...). So I took the last save game and continued as host. But the game doesn't let me give her the control over the main char. Oh dear...
So I exported both our chars, deleted both our chars and imported them back in. She isn't Gorions child any longer but we decided to RP just as she was.
Until she finally finds the summon familiar spell (she picked the alignment to get a cat) and summons it.
But only the main char is allowed to summon familiars. I start thinking the game hates me.
She definitely does now.
Is there any way you can think of, to get her that familiar?
(Yes I know, it is not that useful but it is a cat and she is a girl, so...)

Thanks in advance!
lolien

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited July 2019
    While I certainly hear you, only the main character can summon a familiar. Find Familiar is deeply hard-coded, which means Familiars are very hard to mod.
    Naharok
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    There's this mod More Style for Mages from Pecca that has several components (scroll to the "Group 3: Familiars" part) that affect Familiars, one of them includes the possibility of having NPC mages have familiars themselves.

I haven't used it myself, so not sure of any quirks or issues it may have (but I intend to give it a try at some point!), or if it even would work in a multiplayer installation! In any case, it seems it could possibly solve your issue, if you manage to make BOTH installs identical in terms of having the exact same mods installed.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • NaharokNaharok Member Posts: 56
    Thank you for your answers!

I have already tried the "More Style for Mages" solution and installed once the full mod and once the familiar part only. It definitely does something because I don't get the "Only the main char can summon a familiar" message any longer, however, there is just no familiar appearing.
    That such a mod exists (and at some point in time most probably worked) makes me wonder if JuliusBorisov is correct, when he states, find familiar is hardcoded.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The lack of dialogue and familiar appearing might be due to MP. Move the save from the MP folder to the SP folder, load it in Singleplayer, cast the spell with the mod, see what happens. Save the game, move the save from the SP folder to the MP folder.

Also, for mods to work in MP all the participants should have the same mod setup.
    I have tried it in SP, but unfortunately, it didn't work. I have also started a new game with 2 Mages - the normal mage preset and the char she created - no success for anyone of them.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Is there any reason not to make her be the main character (use the same process of exporting and importing characters as before to your saved game, but select her character first next time)? In that case she would be able to summon a familiar.
    @Naharok Are you sure the mod is installed correctly? Did you use ModMerge if you have BG:EE+SoD from Steam or GOG?
    edited July 2019
    @Grond0 Yes, only the host can play the main character. By the way - if there is a way to make the main char be played by another player besides the host, this would solve our problem too.
    I now tried what happens, if I make her main character, then summon, then make me the main char again. -> After my char is the main again, the cat becomes my familiar - it will only talk to me, be carried by and handled by me.

@JuliusBorisov I don't own SoD, so I did it without ModMerge.
    Grond0
    Sometimes speeds are affected radically by other programs running on computers at the same time - windows downloads are a common example of that. I expect you've tried hosting on the notebook a few times, but if by any chance you haven't it would be worth giving that another go when you're sure the computer is doing nothing else.
    JuliusBorisov
    Gusinda wrote: »
    One of my PCs ('The Magnificant Mr Ray', a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist) is modelled on our dog who has an alter ego known as 'The Black Panter' (a very energetic alter ego). Twice a day, he has the opportunity to call upon his alter ego (a weakened Panther) to help in game or to polymorph into a casting version of the Panther (he has some charm spells because that is what he does at home, charms us...)

Seeing all the helpful posts you make on the forum @Gusinda your dog is clearly not the only charming one in the family o:).
    Gusindaleeux
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Grond0, that's a charming way to talk! He does ensourcell us though, 'most' times he is awake :smile: and all times when he sleeps.

Gus
    Grond0lolien
    This is simply fantastic Gusinda! :o I think, this will work very well for us and if the world of Atlas would be just like the world of Faerun, you surely would have made 3 levels worth of experience and +3 to your group's reputation.
    Have no worries of me getting it to run, I have some experience with the infinity engine. :smile:
    We bow to you, master of the cute cats and the undecipherable aethers of code.
    leeuxGusindalolien
    Unfortunately, we did encounter a problem - when we tried to install the mod, it gave us an error:
    ** ERROR ** [SETUP_SUMCAT.TP2] not found.
    :(
    @Naharok, thank you, oh deliver of XP and rep.

I just read that v2.6 might only be weeks away... This summons uses the text directly from 2.5's dialog.tlk to allow chitchat with the cat(s). The update might break the dialog but if it does, it wouldn't take much for me to modify the spell.

Shall keep an eye on it
    Gus
    edited July 2019
    @Naharok, my apologies... I uploaded the override folder, not the mod itself. Here is the right one.

Gus

Edit: Also reloaded the file above
    Thanks again. We will give it a try soon :)
    Will 2.6 be such a big update, that it comes with new lines? :o
    Hi @Naharok, no probs.

Although I don't think the update will touch the familiars, it will hit dialog.tlk which the familiar dialogue references. So all the current reference points that are currently used 'might' change and therefore talking to the cat 'could' just give you rubbish feedback.

If there is a prob, then it is not a biggy as this can just quickly be updated for 2.6. It is just a case of grabbing the new famil3.dlg and editing it so that it works for Player2 instead. If I were to do it right, I should rewrite the 'talking to the cat' component but I am not 'familiar' with how dialogue code works as yet, it's a gradual thing and I am still playing with WeiDU.

Gus
    lolienNaharokleeux
    Tears... Tears again.
    Of joy and excitement!

The console command somehow didn't work although debug mode was active. So I added the spell to the save game via EEKeeper.

Thank you again!
    A happy girl makes a happy me.

PS: "I am the cat now!" - "You can play all of your chars and the cat as well ..." - "No, I am the cat, only the cat." - "ughhh..."
    GusindaleeuxZaxaresGrond0
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    That's adorable. :D I hope she has an amazing time adventuring through the Sword Coast with you!
    leeuxGusindaNaharok