Skip to content

A halfling, any halfling.

So I would like to build a halfling to run through BG, SOD and BGII, expansions included, and I really don't know what to make. I've gone through all the games til the end as a human blade, a human Necromancer and, my favourite, a dwarven Priest of Talos. Right now I'm pretty far in the games with a half-elven druid, a half-elven jester and a gnomish illusionist.

BUT, I would like to build a halfling. I am tempted towards thieves (swash with a couple of short swords or assassin with sling+dagger) and clerics (not sure which kind yet...)

Anyone like halflings or as done a cool playthrough with them and can do some recommendations?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Without mods, your choices for halflings are limited to:
    Fighter
    Thief
    Cleric
    Barbarian
    Fighter/Thief

Because of their hit to strength, focusing on a ranged build with halflings is ideal, however, going the cleric route, and gaining access to spells like Strength of One and Divine Favour can help with Melee.

So rolling a Cleric kit that you haven’t tried yet (Tyr or Tempus) might be good play even with a slight wisdom hit (there are enough tomes of Wisdom lying around to compensate).

Or go full rogue mode and roll an assassin or shadow dancer.

• WinterisleWinterisle Member Posts: 111
    OK, so i'm in between assassin (Can one poison bullets?) and priest of Tempus or Helm (I want to be neutral and I already gave Talos a go).

If I go assassin I will be centering on range with bullets at the beginning and, later on, on backstabbing when the fight has begun. I will not be a swashbuckler because I think I will not use slings that much, which would be a waste and not look so cool for RP reasons.

As priest I suppose I will be staying range with the sling and buffing allies.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I really like the Bounty Hunter myself. Who needs strength when you can set all those traps & snares? It's perfect for halflings. With all those bonus thief skills you won't miss the 5 less points/level as much...
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    From what I understand, halflings are pretty much the best assassins in the game.

The assassin has very few thief points, and the halflings robust pool from both racial bonuses and dexterity means they're the only race that can be a pretty capable all around thief in addition to just being a backstab machine.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Yeah, I think halflings and elves make the best barbarians.

They have high Dex, which is the one physical stat that a barbarian's rage doesn't boost.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    If going Thief, I think your choice of class will depend a LOT on what sort of playstyle you favour as a Thief. If you enjoy backstabbing, Assassin or Shadowdancer are excellent choices, but they require quite a lot of micromanagement and I found that trying to play a backstabber meant that I was diverting a lot more attention away from my Mage(s). (Who are by far and away my favourite classes in D&D, so I lavish a lot of attention on them.)

For the Black Pits 2, I rolled up a Halfling Swashbuckler as part of the group, and by the end of the module she had the highest AC and THAC0 of the entire group (and you can pump up her AC/saves even more with Thief HLAs), even surpassing my Dwarven Berserker with Grand Masteries in Axes! It made me laugh to just see this teeny lil munchkin run into big clusters of enemies and just hack them apart while seemingly immune to everything. The big downside to the Swashbuckler is that they can't backstab. Ever. So that pretty much cuts out one of the most unique mechanics about Thieves, but if you want someone who fulfills all the usual Thief-ly duties while also being a solid melee combatant, Swashbuckler is well worth a look.

And finally, if you enjoy luring enemies into deadly trap clusters while your party bombards the hapless enemies with ranged weapons and spells, look no further than the Bounty Hunter. I STILL get a cackle every time there's a tough boss fight that I can lay traps in advance for and just watch them go hostile and instantaneously die. (It was VERY satisfying to see Imoen get her just desserts on Irenicus with 2 Spike Traps and 5 normal ones. :P)
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    edited August 2019
    @Zaxares , how did you get swashie thaco so good? Max thief thaco is 10. Even with +8, that's a 2 before weapon enhancement. A fighter naturally gets 0 before weapon enhancement and with three pips can get 3 more, so -3. Or were you just not using a fighter? What am I missing?

Edit: forgot swash can specialize. Still, 1 thaco for swash vs -3 for fighter. How did you get swash better than fighter?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Possibly it is a gear thing, a swash should have a little worst thac0 then a fighter, but better weapons, more str crom items and other gear like gauntlets that boost thac0 can make him reach a better thac0 then the one of a fighter with worst equipment.

Anyway a swash lacks of apr compared to a fighter, has very good thac0 and ac, but if not dw or hasted has only 1 attack each round.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I second Halfling barbarian. The Rage is really meaningful, and enables you to blow through enemies, but Berserker is generally more powerful, esp with a strength boosting item, as Barb rage is shorter iirc, and 17 str is a huge handycap vs 18/00!

Slings are usually a subpar choice in BG1, being massively weaker/less versatile, so specialization in bows is nice for all the cool ammo.
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    Possibly it is a gear thing, a swash should have a little worst thac0 then a fighter, but better weapons, more str crom items and other gear like gauntlets that boost thac0 can make him reach a better thac0 then the one of a fighter with worst equipment.

Anyway a swash lacks of apr compared to a fighter, has very good thac0 and ac, but if not dw or hasted has only 1 attack each round.

Yeah, it was most likely coming from gear. IIRC, I had slapped on the Girdle of Stone Giant Strength on her, along with Gauntlets of Weapon Specialization, and Montolio's Cloak. (For weapons she was using the Short Sword of Mask and Lifedrinker.) Swashbucklers also get a +1 bonus to THAC0, damage and AC every 5 levels, and with enough XP grinding in BP2, you can hit level 40 for an additional +8 bonus to each.

It's worth pointing out that my Berserker was still dealing out more damage than her though, given that he was dual-wielding the +5 Axe of the Unyielding AND Crom Faeyr. XD But my Swashbuckler just seemed a lot more resilient in melee, especially if I threw on Greater Evasion before sending her in.
    A swashie will end up with crazy AC for sure at high levels, much better than a berserker I'd expect. Their lower APR is annoying though. I'd expect a high level swashie to be a similar THAC0, but less APR is annoying. They make really great tanks, and with UAI can be immune to a decent range of things as needed.

Note, you can use WW to good effect with weapons like the SotR to hit pretty hard, and even switch with the SotM to get dispels first. A Berserker can't use the SotM, and can't readily dispel things other than what, only proficient bow use? and with a very limited supply of ammo I'd say, esp in BG2. I suppose you can't use the SotM until fairly late unless you use a small party though.
    A swash, like a blade, at high levels can dw 2 speed weapons to reach 4 apr, scarlet and kundane or belm are good weapons.
    Only few battles really need high enchantment weapons and for those mask and scarlet are perfect.

I usually give the best str belt to the one that hit more times so the dmg bonus is applyed to more hits.

So maybe swash?

Would this work better with a gnome?
    Gnome can get 19 str in BG1, but misses out on shorty save bonus vs death. Which is more important to you? Better thaco/dmg or less chance of being instakilled?

Since gnome gets more class choices, it may be more interesting.
    It's an interesting choice, but I'm not going to go all powerplaying. Probably more important to have less of a chance of getting killed.
    I was gonna say, a Gnome Cleric/Thief would be fun, especially if you use mods to be a swashbuckler. No proficient speed weapon use, but you could use one in the off hand to get a bonus apr. *shrug* Mainly a very versatile fighting type, with great cleric buffs to make them an even more reliable fighter. Really shines at high levels, but can take down Sarevok solo.
    Your strength is fine, I would say, since clerics have at least a couple spells that raise strength.

I hope you'll share his adventures with us!
    Yeah, mechanically by mid-levels lower str won't matter at all. Slinging becomes a very viable choice with +7 or more damage per ping, though 1 apr will stink to high heaven! I wish they'd have made a Sling of Speed of some kind.
    edited August 2019
    hasted a cleric has 2 apr with sling and with his buffs (and starting from a str item or spell from your mage) he can at a certain point maximize his str for a +14 dmg. also with sling the launcher and bullet enchantment dmg bonus stack.
    a high level cleric hasted should do more then 50 dmg/round ranged, not super but not bad for a caster class.

the problem with the cleric is that his offensive buffs are level depending so if from mid soa he can buff very well before his stat bonuses are not as strong and last a lot less (HP and RM) and give less bonuses (DUHM, RM and also Holy Power for the hit point boost).

so a low str can be a problem until a str item is obtained or if the cleric has not a mage that can cast on him a 18.50 str spell.

For now , through the first half of BG I will be slinging and casting protection and curing spells. Later on I will probably go more offensive, use some strength enhancing item, etc. I will be more close to the front and deal more melee damage.

@DreadKhan Yes, a cleric/thief gnome is a really awesome class and this can be seen in a few npcs in the game. I once built one and it was quite fun in the sense that you can be a full cleric and a full thief (usually a thief when exploring, a cleric during battles), leaving an extra free slot in your party so that I could play around with party configuration.
    Hmm, that reminds me... Clerics of Lathander get that "Boon of Lathander" special ability that grants them 1 additional attack per round. Does that stack with Haste?
    edited August 2019
    So I start my game and my mace breaks against a rat. Yep, I'm sticking with the sling...

I must admit I'm quite happy to be starting with -1 AC using only splint mail and a shield. I should get to a ridiculously low AC quite soon, not to speak of SOD or BG2. Being a priest of Helm and having good armor makes sense from a rol playing point of view too :D

umgwl4fag13u.png
    yep, equipping the best armor and shield and the rest of the items compatible like the cloak of the sewers and with the buff to dex you will get with high level cleric buffs you should gain at least an other 10 ac points if not more, and with some other buffs like improved invisibility and defensive armony stacked on top you probably will go near the AC cap, reaching -20 or more end game.
    and your buffs will also give you a lot of hp more, my end game aerie goes from 68 hp not buffed to 117 hp buffed ( i don't use maxed hp roll on level up and CM rolls for D6, cleric for D8, so potentially a cleric can have way more then that).

a cleric is indeed a very good tank if properly used.
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Hmm, that reminds me... Clerics of Lathander get that "Boon of Lathander" special ability that grants them 1 additional attack per round. Does that stack with Haste?

IIRC it does, but I could be remembering wrong, since I never used that kit. @semiticgod has some experience though, and he could say for sure I'd wager.

Clerics make very sturdy tanks, with their endless HP bonus' to make them almost impossible to kill. In my experience, that +10% HP Ioun stone works very well for a cleric using buffs.
    "Boon of Lathander: Available once per day, plus an additional time for every ten levels at 11, 21, 31. Duration: one round per level. The Priest gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, Saving Throws and attacks per round. This bonus is cumulative if the ability is used several times. Apart from this the priest becomes immune to level drain effects."

Source: https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Priest_of_Lathander
    @ElysianEchoes Sound pretty tempting. I've never played a priest of Lathander and I'm still in time to use a little EEKeeper, but it would be now or never. Still, I'm pretty happy with the 2 Helm spells and they are definitely going to come in useful.