Skip to content

Chicken Gem Removed?

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/There's_a_WHAT_in_their_chicken?

Why is it not possible to get the gem from one of the chickens?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    What makes you think its not possible? I get it in all my runs.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    The gem is assigned to the armor slot, which can't be stolen from. You can still buy it off the owner though (or simply kill the chicken).
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    so in the bg logic chickens wear armor, nice.
    i suppose they use some helm like this:

KHM_Wien_A_24_-_Bascinet_of_Ernst_of_Austria%2C_c._1400%2C_right.jpg
    (i don't own the copiright of the image, taken from wikipedia)

really confortable if you happen to have a beak :).

• leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    A better proper fix would have been (IMHO) to make it so you already pickpocketed it you won't have the option to buy it, nor it would drop if killed :(

Personally I'm always against changes that remove options from the player and the game, because if you continue to do that, extrapolating that tendency, in the end it'll just make BG a less memorable game... one of the things that makes it so great IMO, is all the hidden stuff and things that you can do to achieve the same results in the end.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    leeux wrote: »
    A better proper fix would have been (IMHO) to make it so you already pickpocketed it you won't have the option to buy it, nor it would drop if killed :(

Personally I'm always against changes that remove options from the player and the game, because if you continue to do that, extrapolating that tendency, in the end it'll just make BG a less memorable game... one of the things that makes it so great IMO, is all the hidden stuff and things that you can do to achieve the same results in the end.

my assumption as to why they changed it in the EEs is because that wasn't the way the original devs intended that to go, so every time beamdog finds something that they think was not the intended idea for something, they will change it
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2019
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    my assumption as to why they changed it in the EEs is because that wasn't the way the original devs intended that to go, so every time beamdog finds something that they think was not the intended idea for something, they will change it

Well, it makes sense with the way the story is told at least! :smiley:

If it was like Jeb describes and the gem went down the chicken's gullet, it makes no sense to be able to pickpocket it (I don't want to think too much about that :blush:)

EDIT: Still... less options is less options :cry:
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    what;'s funny is I assumed just killing the chickens would do it. One of them was bound to drop the gem. It didn't. I didn't consider pick pocket as my first option.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    In truth, you could justify the pickpocketing if you look at it as the chicken just trying to incubate the beljuril, instead of eating it. It would be pretty easy to 'lift' the gem out of a chicken nest. It's a little unrealistic to envision the chicken being able to eat a gem of that size anyway. In my mind that makes this a fix that didn't need to happen. It's pretty minor though, seeing as it's pretty simple to get it for free if you're evil, or pay a moderate sum for it if you're good...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Balrog99 Pretty sure the game flat out says the gem is INSIDE the chicken.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Balrog99 Pretty sure the game flat out says the gem is INSIDE the chicken.

I know, but that doesn't mean it makes sense. Unless the beljuril is the size of a small pebble it doesn't make sense that a chicken would eat it. For pure RP purposes, logic should dictate over story. I'm more of a power-gamer myself so it really doesn't matter to me personally. I was just giving an RP reason it might make sense to be able to pickpocket it like back in the pre-EE days.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Reminds me of how if you click the cows in BG long enough, they go "Ouch. I mean, mooooo!" XD

There's also a black bear that says: "Hey, BooBoo. That's a nice pickinick basket". Sadly I can't remember which one it is so you may have to click on a lot of bears before you discover which one is Yogi.