Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    I have used web quite a lot in my runs and didn't have a problem. Perhaps other tactics used together with it are important.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I just won the fight simply by having Tiax set some traps and then have Baeloth fry the reminder while the rest of the party just hid behind Invisibility. Apparently on Tactical difficulty, the equivalent of Core difficulty in SCS v32, only Greater Doppelgangers spawn; there is no shaman, mage, or assassin. I went with Tactical instead of Insane so the poverty run would be more doable during certain fights like Belhifet and Melissan.
    Grond0EnuhalArviaCrevsDaak
    I have added @histamiini's solo LoB sorcerer run to the Hall. We now have a solo LoB run with a single-classed spellcaster!
    ArviahistamiiniCrevsDaak
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    How do you progress so fast? I mean, I know many people have more leisure time than me, for example, and I guess you have the locations of all traps and ambushes memorized and don't need to creep up to them carefully, but still...

Do you skip much content? I can't imagine that, either, because you miss out on XP.
    Or is it just that you teleport around with the console instead of walking?
    lroumenStromaelsemiticgoddessCrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited September 2019
    Arvia wrote: »
    How do you progress so fast? I mean, I know many people have more leisure time than me, for example, and I guess you have the locations of all traps and ambushes memorized and don't need to creep up to them carefully, but still...

Do you skip much content? I can't imagine that, either, because you miss out on XP.
    Or is it just that you teleport around with the console instead of walking?

Besides familiarity with the game (not just locations, but also knowing ways to deal safely with different types of enemies without having to spend much time thinking about encounters), there are a number of things that can have a major impact on how long a game takes.

Playing with a full party takes far longer than solo.

You can reduce your playing time significantly by playing at a higher frames per second speed than the standard 30.

Whether and how you use AI can affect speed of progress.

If you use roleplay to influence decisions about your gameplay, that's likely to slow you down significantly compared to just power gaming. The same may apply if you apply restrictions to your play, e.g. putting limits on the amount you rest.

On a similar theme to the last point, you can save a lot of time on the game overall by choosing the order of your encounters carefully. If you do high XP, easy encounters early (like Shoal and the basilisks) you can very quickly pick up several levels even with a full party - which allows much quicker progress against weaker enemies later.

I don't use the console on the grounds I think it undermines the logic of a no-reload game, but you're right that you can save time if you use that, e.g. to move around within and between areas or speed up the passing of time.

For similar reasons, I don't allow resting to intentionally generate monsters for additional XP or gaining more than one lot of XP from the same monster (using petrification). If you do that sort of XP grinding though you can greatly speed up the acquisition of XP and also cut out lots of encounters without any loss of levels.

If you look at this thread by @semiticgod you will see a multitude of ways you can take advantage of exploits within the game - some of those can help speed up progress.
    semiticgoddessArviaCrevsDaaklolien
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Another thing is that I know pretty much what I need for the final fight and what I want to bring into SoD: the only item that I consider difficult to get that I want is the Ring of Free Action from the Iron Throne fight. Besides that, 70% of items are from easy enough quests, purchased, or a very short trip (Spiders’ Bane, for example, in the Cloakwood).

And experience isn’t the biggest issue after a bit: warriors should easily be at level 7 by the Gate itself, and 7-8 is only 1 thac0 and 1d10+CON, not nearly enough to change the final fight, and everyone else is invisible while said warrior fights Sarevok and co. This is even less important now that SoD bumps you up to 161k experience even if you’re like 40k short from that.
    ussnorwayAerakarCrevsDaaklolien
    edited September 2019
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Arvia wrote: »

If you look at this thread by @semiticgod you will see a multitude of ways you can take advantage of exploits within the game - some of those can help speed up progress.

I must admit that I would hate to use most of those exploits, though I did quite like the trick of using the staff that used to enable you to change your charisma from 1 to 25. It no longer works.
    Grond0CrevsDaak
    @Neverused: I've never noticed SoD bumping up my XP to 161,000. My sorcerers were still below level 9 when I first entered SoD.
    Grond0CrevsDaak
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @Neverused: I've never noticed SoD bumping up my XP to 161,000. My sorcerers were still below level 9 when I first entered SoD.

I don't think that it does.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Hmm. I’m definitely getting bumped to an even 161k after leaving the city for the first time if I was below it: there would’ve been no reason for me to get exp between the prologue and then. Maybe an artifact of modmerge or something?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I don't understand why you have sox identical spell book picks. For sure you could have swapped one spell per level here and there?
    CrevsDaak