Skip to content

Mazzy and Viconia banter bug

Hello all, i have this annoying bug where Mazzy would stop responding to command or keep stopping every second after her first banter with Viconia. Banters with other characters like Korgan and Jan are fine and only the banter with Viconia is bugged.

I do have several mods related with Mazzy herself and other party members, but considering that the banter was voiced i don't think it was mod-related banter AFAIK. The banter in question goes something like "Though our leader trusts you...." i forgot the rest sorry lol, it was her first banter with Vic after she joined my party in the ruined temple.
Thanks!

Comments

• captainkatsuracaptainkatsura Member Posts: 13
    Solved it, i compared both save files of before and after the banter using EE Keeper and in the after version i found one variable that wasn't present in the other save file, after removing that one variable i found in Mazzy's local variables, she is back to normal again now. So weird..
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Please post the name and value of the variable, it would turn this into a helpful bug report.
    edited September 2019
    It was "BMAZZY9", i changed the value from 1 to 0, tbh i don't know exactly what this variable is or what it does really..
    Update: okay i'm stumped now, the damn bug happened again today, it seems removing the variable didn't do the trick, because the banter would repeat itself after I changed/removed the variable.
    edited September 2019
    "BMAZZY9" is a local variable from one of Mazzy's original banters with Viconia. Setting it to "0" will lead to the banter repeating randomly. I'd assume the stutter afterwards might come from a mod.
    You could install the Stutter Debug Tool (afterwards just deinstall it like a mod) and see ingame which scriptblock of which script is stuttering. Then you could look this scriptblock up with Near Infinity and post it here.
    Hm, alternatively you could just search with NI for "BMAZZY9" in the script files and see whether this turns something else up than the original Mazzy-Viconia banter, first.
    captainkatsura
    jastey wrote: »
    "BMAZZY9" is a local variable from one of Mazzy's original banters with Viconia. Setting it to "0" will lead to the banter repeating randomly. I'd assume the stutter afterwards might come from a mod.
    You could install the Stutter Debug Tool (afterwards just deinstall it like a mod) and see ingame which scriptblock of which script is stuttering. Then you could look this scriptblock up with Near Infinity and post it here.
    Hm, alternatively you could just search with NI for "BMAZZY9" in the script files and see whether this turns something else up than the original Mazzy-Viconia banter, first.

Finally! Thank you jastey, you're right the stutter was caused by a mod, it was "All things Mazzy". I never considered a mod to be the cause because the banter was voiced, after I uninstalled the mod finally this time she is back to normal again :)
    Then best you ask for help here!
    (Tagging @Ratatoskr and @BCaesar just in case)
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    Thanks @jastey . I'll have to look into it when I have the time. I know we use that banter as a trigger but I can't think of any reason it would glitch out Mazzy. All our code should do is set a variable and start another conversation a few hours later. But knowing me, I probably mistyped something.

@captainkatsura Can you tell me which version of AllThingMazzy you were using and whether for the good/fortheevil were installed? That might help me narrow down the issue. I haven't seen that glitch myself.
    It's interesting that her PID isn't called by this stutter. At least I understood ATM introduces PID for Mazzy.
    Ratatoskr wrote: »
    Thanks @jastey . I'll have to look into it when I have the time. I know we use that banter as a trigger but I can't think of any reason it would glitch out Mazzy. All our code should do is set a variable and start another conversation a few hours later. But knowing me, I probably mistyped something.

@captainkatsura Can you tell me which version of AllThingMazzy you were using and whether for the good/fortheevil were installed? That might help me narrow down the issue. I haven't seen that glitch myself.

I was using the latest version and while I did installed for the good at first, it didn't seem to affect the bug because I tried several times uninstalling and reinstalling all my mods to pin down the problem, I might be wrong though, sorry.
    Oh right, you guys know that one stance that all NPCs have where they bend their knee a little and look as if they're readying their weapon/shield (it usually happens during conversation or when there's enemy nearby)? Mazzy was stuck in that stance after the banter while the other party members returned to their usual idle animation.
    That sounds like a stutter if there is no "always true" dialogue like a PID. It can also be that another dialogue file was called, for example the banter file (the PID is in the so-called "joined dialogue" file, they are activated by different commands).
    edited September 2019
    I haven't had a chance to check in depth yet, but we actually don't have any PID dialogue files in ATM yet. The new version should have weights for pretty much all of our dialogue after running into issues with other PIDs. We've put them on pretty much everything since the other Mazzy friendship doesn't have weights and we don't want ours triggering theirs and vice-versa. However, I'll go through and check the Viconia/Mazzy file to make sure we didn't miss one.

@jastey Do you know if there are particular sort of things that tend to cause stutters, other than PID? It's not a glitch I've run into in any of my games.

(And sorry for the late reply. For some reason I didn't get the email notification from the quote)
    You mean caused by PID because the PID was installed before the mod and the mod's dialogue is not WEIGHTed accordingly. A stuttser is basically caused by the same principle: a script calls a dialogue, but there is no dialogue with the appropriate trigger variable in the called dlg, so the script keeps on triggering it. Usually happens if you use the "script trigger with variable - variable is closed in dialogue" principle which is the only one that ensures the dialogue not being skipped due to being interrupted by the player klicking the cursor at the wrong time.
    To identify a stutter, install the Stutter Debug Tool (like a mod) - it will state in game which script is running which script block. You can then look it up with Near Inifnity.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. We haven't made any PIDs of our own in ATM, but the previous version of our mod didn't have the dialogue weighted properly.

The dialogue in the current version should be WEIGHTed so based on your stutter explanation, it sounds like I probably mistyped a variable in the Mazzy/Viconia dialogue file. Which is totally something I would do. I once spent an hour trying to figure out why Clara's dialogue wasn't working before realizing that I'd called her the wrong name.

So this gives me a place to start. Thank you for all your help.
    captainkatsura
    edited October 2019
    Okay, initial examination doesn't show anything broken. All BMAZZY9 should be doing in AllThingsMazzy is setting a timer so they have another conversation one day later. But I'll keep checking. Maybe I screwed up the weight on the dialogue somehow.

@captainkatsura The stutter bug did start immediately after the first Mazzy/Viconia banter correct? There was no second banter first?
    @Ratatoskr Sorry for the late reply and yes the bug started after the first banter between Mazzy and Vic only.
    No worries. I'll keep trying to figure out what's going on.
  • BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 452

I was using the latest version and while I did installed for the good at first, it didn't seem to affect the bug because I tried several times uninstalling and reinstalling all my mods to pin down the problem, I might be wrong though, sorry.

Hi captainkatsura, is there any chance you could send me a copy of your save (or any save before it happened)?

If I go through the variables in your save it'll help me pin-point the glitch. At a quick glance I can't figure out what could be causing it. The next dialogue in the Mazzy-Viconia dialogue is coded in a glitch-proof way as far as I can see, but there's probably something else from left field that I'm not noticing. That's what it usually is. Some random other script that's missing a needed variable and is trying to trigger.
    @captainkatsura
    @Ratatoskr
    @jastey

Found it. If you look at this code you'll see there's nothing in the actions to make the script stop endlessly repeating:
    IF	//Timer for 2nd Mazzy-conversation - between Mazzy & CN talk (1st in Viconia's baf file)
    	Global("_bMazzySavesViconia","GLOBAL",0)
    	!Global("_bBMazzy9","LOCALS",1)
    	Global("BMazzy9","LOCALS",1)
    	InParty("Viconia")
    	!StateCheck("Viconia",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    	InParty("Mazzy") 
    	!StateCheck("Mazzy",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    	SetGlobal("_bMazVicConv","GLOBAL",2)
    	SetGlobalTimer("_bmazvictimer2","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)
    END

If we put Global("_bMazVicConv","GLOBAL",1) as a requirement that should fix everything.
    captainkatsura
    @BCaesar THANK YOU.

I don't know what it is with me and repeating code, but I screw that up more than anything else. Though strangely, I was actually thinking about putting in Global("_bMazVicConv","GLOBAL",1) after our last conversation, but for entirely different reasons.

I'll get the file fixed and reposted tonight on our thread. Have you tested it?
    edited November 2019
    @BCaesar THANK YOU.

I don't know what it is with me and repeating code, but I screw that up more than anything else. Though strangely, I was actually thinking about putting in Global("_bMazVicConv","GLOBAL",1) after our last conversation, but for entirely different reasons.

I'll get the file fixed and reposted tonight on our thread. Have you tested it?

Tested and works.

I also ran across a similar bug with Yoshimo but not one related to our mod. I think the culprit is this:

All the conditions for this are true:
    IF
    	RealGlobalTimerExpired("YoshimoTalksPC3","GLOBAL")
    	InParty(Myself)
    	Global("I#Yoshimo_BY5","GLOBAL",2)
    	Global("BYoshimo5","LOCALS",0)
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    		Interact(Player1)
    END

But there's no talks that can trigger. The one that is supposed to trigger is Yoshimo's third talk with CHARNAME but that one requires the following:
    Global("PCYosh","LOCALS",2)
    Global("BYoshimo5","LOCALS",0)
    Global("I#Yoshimo_BY5","GLOBAL",2)
    See(Player1)
    !StateCheck(Player1,STATE_SLEEPING)

And in my game they're all true except Global("PCYosh","LOCALS",2) so that's breaking everything. I reported it in the Spellhold thread here: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60604-found-bug-and-fix-for-yoshimos-3rd-talk-with-charname/?p=607782
    Post edited by BCaesar on
    captainkatsura
    Thank you all really for taking the time to fix the bug. I have finished my playthrough weeks ago so unfortunately I didn't get the chance to try the fix but I hope this fix would help others if they encountered similar bug such as this.