Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    They already tried the nice way. Facebook met Trump and changed the rules to let him lie without restriction. People said hey please no and Facebook was like no we're doing this. So you have to play by the rules as they exist. It's not fair of one side is honest when Republicans lie all the time without resemblance to the truth.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Another innocent black person in her own home has been gunned down by a Texas police officer. They've released the bodycam footage.

'No forgiveness for this one': Outrage builds over police shooting of Fort Worth woman in her home

Two things struck me when I watched the video. First, he never identifies himself as a police officer. Second, the gunshot is the period in his sentence. It's literally: "Show me your hands[BANG]". She never even had the chance to comply.

Lawyer S. Lee Merritt is being proactive against the character assassination that's sure to come:
    "Before law enforcement goes about their pattern of villainizing this beautiful peaceful woman, turning her into a suspect, a silhouette, or threat, let me tell you about 28 y/o #AtatianaJefferson 'Tay'," Merritt said in a Facebook post.

Merritt said Jefferson was a pre-med graduate of Xavier University who worked in pharmaceutical sales. And she was very close to her family, he said.

Of course, the police have already started laying the groundwork for blaming the victim. They've stated that a gun was found in the house.
    edited October 2019
    A gun in the house in Texas. Shocker. I thought Texans were against the 2nd amendment, sarcastic eyeroll.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Reports show that the police parked down the street with no lights or sirens (it was a non-emergency welfare check). They then decided to go around the back of the house with flashlights without identifying themselves as police.

I wouldn’t blame her if she was holding a gun looking out the window. If I see people going through my backyard, I would be ready to roll, too.

Turns out she was playing video games with her 8yr old nephew as she often did until past 2am. So sad.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I just had a brush with the surreal. A dude I haven't talked to for years that used to be a full-on liberal just had an argument with me about how Trump is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I had about an hour argument with him about what order the planets are in by distance (he thought Mars was closer to the sun than Earth and Venus), how the earth's orbit doesn't vary by 500% between winter and summer (he thought we were 5x closer to the sun in summer), how a 3% variance in orbital rotation still is pretty much circular if you look at it downwards from the orbital plane, and how a tower will collapse straight down because there's more weight on lower floors than upper floors (911 conspiracy theory b.s.). If I had a PhD in physics I don't think I could have convinced this guy. Now I have a headache...
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,175
    Been reading Hannah Arendt's "The Origins of Totalitarianism", published in 1951. There are many quotes relevant to present political conditions and populism, but for the previous post here's one:

"What proved so attractive was that terrorism had become a kind of philosophy through which to express frustration, resentment, and blind hatred, a kind of political expressionism which used bombs to express oneself, which watched delightedly the publicity given to resounding deeds and was absolutely willing to pay the price of life for having succeded in forcing the recognition of one's existence on the normal strata of society. It was still the same spirit and the same game which made Goebbels, long before the eventual defeat of Nazi Germany, announce with obvious delight that the Nazis, in case of defeat, would know how to slam the door behind them and not to be forgotten for centuries."
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    me when I watched the video. First, he never identifies himself as a police officer. Second, the
    And as long as we're on the subject of shootings, this video shown at a Pro-Trump PAC conference attended by Don Jr. and Sarah Huckabee Sanders is absolutely bonkers, as it depicts Trump literally slaughtering representatives of media organizations and elected representatives in a shooting rampage in a church to the tune of the part of "Freebird" that plays at the climax of "The Devil's Rejects". When he runs out of ammo, he starts stabbing them in the head with a knife and plants an axe in the forehead of CNN at the climax. I'm not even going to post it. I'm telling you people, if he gets removed whether by impeachment or the vote, he will be able to just say a few words on TV and basically activate sleeper cells of people just itching to kill. I encourage everyone to read up on stochastic terrorism.

Well if he stays or goes he will make things worse. It seems his only mission is to inspire hatred and division and violence.
    edited October 2019
    JoenSo wrote: »
    A week into Turkey's offensive against the Kurds and we have:
    • lots of dead, and a lot of them civilians,
    • videos of Turkish-backed militias executing unarmed prisoners,
    • huge waves of refugees,
    • ISIS prisoners escaping as the Kurds can't guard their prison camps while being killed,
    • ISIS declaring a new campaign in Syria as they're gaining strength again,
    • the Kurds making what they themselves consider a deal with the devil with the Syrian army just to survive.
    • the risk of an even bigger war if Syrian and Turkish forces clash.

A great week if you're a jihadist or an authoritarian leader.

Doesn't sound like a great week for anybody if you ask me...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    What's taken place isn't a surprise. What has been to some degree is that it all started happening almost instantaneously after Trump's decision, which makes it impossible to separate them.
    It's worth mentioning that the Turks have already stated that they'll be settling Arab refugees in the Kurdish lands. So, classic "ethnic cleansing" operation. And I'm sure that they'll get all pissy 100 years from now every time someone refers to it as "The Kurdish Genocide".
    The web comic Sandra and Woo did a brutal send up of Blizzard's capitulation to China.
  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 81
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

The 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to black people. We all know this. Texas is one of the most open-carry, own as many guns as you damn well please states in the union. It is only when cops shoot African-Americans that all of a sudden gun ownership comes into question. Apparently the neighbor called the cops because "the door was ajar". Really?? And again, set aside the killing which is horrible enough as it is. What is absolutely unconscionable is that EVERY TIME this happens, the cops go into character assassination mode on the person they just killed. This time it was an aunt staying up late to play video games with her nephew. If you are calling the cops in regards to your black neighbor, even if you think it is for their protection, you are putting their lives at risk. Same goes for a mentally ill family member. The paranoid incompetents we are handing out badges to are not serving and protecting anyone but themselves at this point, and if they had a SHRED of decency as a "brotherhood" they would own up to their mistakes instead of attempting to criminalize every innocent person they kill with bullshit innuendo. It's always something. She had a gun in the house (likely totally legal, and immaterial in every way to what happened). They smoked pot the night of the killing (because we all know that once a black person smokes it, apparently a joint becomes like PCP, even though I have never in my life seen someone who is stoned become MORE aggressive about anything). They once served detention in high school. They will find ANYTHING they can to justify what they do. African-Americans are not even safe from getting killed by cops chilling in their OWN HOMES at night. It's complete lunacy. This should never happen.

To be fair, the neighbor seems to have been acquainted with Jefferson, at least to the extent of knowing that her mother was very ill. So, I believe that his intent for calling FWPD to have them do a welfare check was based out of concern, rather than malice. He's also black. In a normal world, that shouldn't come into play; but, given some of the highly publicized incidents of white people calling the police on black neighbors, it sadly becomes a fact that needs to be mentioned.

Anyway, the cop, Aaron Dean, gave a terse, one sentence resignation before he was about the be fired, and has now (rightfully) been arrested for murder. Hopefully he's found guilty and receives a sentence long enough* to deter others of his ilk from acting as impulsively as he did.

* Certainly longer than the 10 years that Amber Guyger received for shooting Botham Jean in HIS home.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I saw a comment from the neighbor in a news article (I forget where). He seemed pretty devastated and concluded that "if I had never called the cops, she would still be alive".

Not sure what to add to that, except how messed up all this is.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176

Petrobras Analysis Points to Venezuela as Potential Source of Oil on Brazil's Northeastern Coast
    source : https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/scienceandhealth/2019/10/petrobras-analysis-points-to-venezuela-as-potential-source-of-oil-on-brazils-northeastern-coast.shtml

15695216385d8cffe6db518_1569521638_3x2_md.jpg

One more thing about the environment. Some weeks ago, Amazon fires generated a lot of international repercussion. Now, Venezuela dumped oil in the ocean and nobody cares.

It is far worse in any aspect. Note that Northeast is the poorest region. Some cities depends upon "tourism/ecotourism", others upon fishing and it can make large towns go bankrupt. This not mentioning the environmental impact that can destroy entire species in a continental country and affect neighbor countries too... But yes, since they can't blame Bolsonaro and use Bolivian forest fire photos to criticize him, nobody cares.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited October 2019
    Agree with Grond0. I have seen it reported on in the Guardian, CNN, Washington Post, BBC and other media. If you think it is not as prominent as the fires (especially in television and radio), you need to consider what else is going: the situation with Turkey, the Trump impeachment investigations and Brexit being in a hot phase again. All those topics would (unfortunately) always draw more attention than an environmental disaster - but it is being covered.

Two other points:
    1. Given the (relatively small) size of the spill I don't think it is worse than the fires in term of environmental impact. In fact, I am rather certain that the deforestation was worse in terms of lasting impact.
    2. Venezuela being responsible is still only a suspicion. I know that there have been reports of analysis pointing in that direction, but the analysis has not yet been released and was done by Petrobas, who is also a natural suspect in any oil spill happening near Brazil. Obviously they have the expertise to run such an analysis, but I would want to see it confirmed by an independent party. Bolsanaro himself has not named any country ye.
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835

The only reason this is on the backburner is because it doesn't sell. Trump/Turkey are advertiser friendly, oil spill not so much.
    There are definitely things that need more attention. But I really dislike this idea that we only get news that "sell", as if we're all into some kind of misery voyeurism or always looking for new ways to bash political figures we dislike. The situation with Turkey in Syria is big news because of the immense human suffering and the huge shift in a war that has dominated the 2010s - all in a very short time and because of the decisions of very few people.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Almost 5.000km of Littoral coast affected by the disaster, a lot of states decreeing emergency. Is probably one of the biggest disasters ever...
    There are definitely things that need more attention. But I really dislike this idea that we only get news that "sell", as if we're all into some kind of misery voyeurism or always looking for new ways to bash political figures we dislike. The situation with Turkey in Syria is big news because of the immense human suffering and the huge shift in a war that has dominated the 2010s - all in a very short time and because of the decisions of very few people.

The only reason this is top news is because it's Trump. There are way more people being killed in other wars in the world but what sells is Trump. There are more humans dying/died in Yemen but that's not advertiser friendly. We all choose to believe what we like, unfortunately.
    I mean, of course Trump's part in it shapes how and how much it is talked about. But it isn't the only reason. This is a very sudden and dangerous turn in a war that has been going on for almost a decade. It isn't all about Trump.
    Thanks to Trump and Republicans, Billionaires and the elite are paying less taxes than you or I.

America's richest 400 families now pay a lower tax rate than the middle class.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/americas-richest-400-families-pay-a-lower-tax-rate-than-the-middle-class/

The Republican tax scam was a lie. The Republican tax scam was a lie. The Republican tax scam was a lie.

Trump has been filling the government with swamp.

He's appointed one lobbyist for every 14 political appointees, and four times more than Obama appointed over eight years in half the time.

Trump has made the government a cesspool of corruption. He has thieves writing economic policy, polluters writing environmental policy, racists writing immigration policy, conspiracy theory idiots in charge of education, and his personal goon in charge of the justice department.
    Thanks to Trump and Republicans, Billionaires and the elite are paying less taxes than you or I.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/americas-richest-400-families-pay-a-lower-tax-rate-than-the-middle-class/

The Republican tax scam was a lie. The Republican tax scam was a lie. The Republican tax scam was a lie.

He's appointed one lobbyist for every 14 political appointees, and four times more than Obama appointed over eight years in half the time.

Trump has made the government a cesspool of corruption. He has thieves writing economic policy, polluters writing environmental policy, racists writing immigration policy, conspiracy theory idiots in charge of education, and his personal goon in charge of the justice department.

Yup, all about Trump.

Pretty sure the billionaires are paying more in taxes than I am. Or likely even 10,000 me's...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited October 2019
    TakisMegas wrote: »

The only reason this is top news is because it's Trump. There are way more people being killed in other wars in the world but what sells is Trump. There are more humans dying/died in Yemen but that's not advertiser friendly. We all choose to believe what we like, unfortunately.

Congress (led by liberal Democrats) has voted twice to cut off the arms funding that is fueling the Saudis in Yemen. The Trump Administration has flat-out ignored this. Nevermind the fact that we just sent thousands of troops there and Trump's answer as to why was basically "they pay well". Yeah, they're paying for stuff alright. Whole floors at Trump properties and hotels. Trump has turned the US military into his own private mercenary business. Every single move he makes on the international stage has to be viewed through his bottomless conflicts of interest.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Pretty sure the billionaires are paying more in taxes than I am. Or likely even 10,000 me's...

I'm pretty sure you pay a larger fraction of your wealth than they do.
    edited October 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you pay a larger fraction of your wealth than they do.

Ok. What's that got to do with it? @smeagolheart said they pay less taxes than I do. No, they don't.