Skip to content

If Baldur's Gate was a PnP campaign...

2»

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    DM: You arrive in the Windspear Hills, and a group of ogres appear. They cry "Beasts! Curs! Your terror ends here!"
    Party: That sounds suspicious. Hey, Keldorn, do you have a True Sight ready?
    Keldorn: Sure do. I cast True Sight - what are these ogres really?
    DM: ... ... ... The illusion is broken. The ogres are actually knights of the Radiant Heart. They're still attacking you, though.
    Keldorn: Is this some kind of trap to make me fall? Ugh, fine. Hey, everyone, try not to kill these guys. They're probably under some kind of illusion to think we're the monsters.

... A few combat rounds later...
    DM: All right, you've subdued all of the knights. And now I'm calling an end to the session, because I have to redo the notes for this whole quest.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    DM: It's raining.
    Player One: A bit of rain won't hurt us. We'll keep exploring the coast.
    DM: Okay. You walk a bit further and you get hit by lightning.
    Player One: What? Who threw a lightning bolt at me?
    DM: No one. It's the weather. I told you, it's raining.
    DM rolls a huge handful of dice.
    DM: Let's see, you take . . . forty three points of damage.
    Player One: That means I'm dead. Even if I make my save I'm still dead. This is the dumbest game I ever played.
    DM: I don't know why you're making such a fuss. I told you it was raining.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    DM: It's raining.
    Player One: A bit of rain won't hurt us. We'll keep exploring the coast.
    DM: Okay. You walk a bit further and you get hit by lightning.
    Player One: What? Who threw a lightning bolt at me?
    DM: No one. It's the weather. I told you, it's raining.
    DM rolls a huge handful of dice.
    DM: Let's see, you take . . . forty three points of damage.
    Player One: That means I'm dead. Even if I make my save I'm still dead. This is the dumbest game I ever played.
    DM: I don't know why you're making such a fuss. I told you it was raining.

DM: Also, you're wearing plate mail, that means you have a -4 penalty on your saving throw against the lightning.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I am still confused on how rain equates to lightning.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2019
    lroumen wrote: »
    I am still confused on how rain equates to lightning.

Me too but on the Sword Coast you don't seem to need a thunderstorm to get lightning. I find when playing Baldur's Gate if it starts to rain it is best to head for the map edge as quickly as you can. This is my paladin running away from a fight on the Shipwreck Coast after getting hit by a bolt from the blue. The two Half Ogres that have just died were both killed by lightning but for some reason the party still gets the experience:
    pvpc5eic61oc.png
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    DM (me): ok boys, let's start...
    Player One (me): I am ready boss.
    DM: you are in...

hard to play PnP Baldurs Gate in a place where no one play DnD... ;):s
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    DM: OK, this session is all about Player One.
    Player Two: What? Why is it all about Player One? He just started last month.
    DM: Hey, I've been working on this for the last 3 weeks. Why are you breaking my balls?
    Player Three: I've been playing my thief for two years, why is Player One so special?
    Player Four: Yeah, the fighter I've been playing since we started seems a little left out of this equation.
    Player Five: As does my cleric!
    Player Six: I've finally got enough spells for my mage to be a major player so why do I have to take a back seat?
    DM: Well, to be honest, noobie Player One decided to play a Cavalier so I figured he'd be the most likely to survive. If he dies it's game over!
    Players 2-6: WTF!!!!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2019
    DM: As you walk your way to the streets of Nashkel you see a single bridge to your right. On it stands a man wearing a red robe. To your left you see a barracks and a bald man talking to a hamster.

Players: We can talk to the crazy dude later. Anything on the other side of the river?

DM: Further east of the man in red robes you see another plainly dressed man walking towards you across the bridge.

Players: Let's go talk to him.

DM: The man approaches you and says "Hi, I'm Noober. Nice place, huh?"

Players: We say hi back.

DM: "So, killed any monsters yet?"

Players: Yep. Seen any around here?

DM: "Ever been to Baldur's Gate? I've been to Baldur's Gate."

Players: Alright let's just kill this guy and then talk to that bald guy back there.
    Post edited by elminster on
    BelacRLJ wrote: »
    Kagain would be played by a hack+slash minmaxer who hates roleplay. "I've read the DMG and there's lots of items that boost strength and dexterity, so I'll tank those. 20 Constitution gets regeneration, better believe I'm cranking that up. And the shorty save bonuses, yes! What, a backstory? Oh...I'm a...mercenary. Who's looking for a lost caravan." One session later..."Screw that caravan, let's go treasure-hunting."

I totally read that in Kagain's voice: "Mmm, for the love o' money!"
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    DM: You enter the tent to find a man and a woman, both dressed in mage's robes. The man starts talking:
    "Stop! If you come any closer, I'll kill her! All I have to do is say the word, and she dies!"
    Branwen: scribbles something on a note and passes it to the DM.
    DM: Nods, then asks if anyone's going to talk back to the man.
    Imoen: All right, I'll do it. "Why do you want to kill her? What has she done?"
    DM: Roll diplomacy.
    Imoen. Let's see ... add the bonuses ... 25.
    DM: All right, you've got his attention. "Why? Because she's a witch! She'll curse the villagers and poison the cattle! She has to die!"
    Imoen: "A witch? You're doing this because she can cast spells? But you're a mage - you said yourself that you just had to say the word to finish your spell. Why the hypocrisy? Oh, wait, it's because she's a woman. Get lost, you misogynist creep!"
    DM: (rolls a die) "I will not stand for..." He keeps trying to talk, but you can't hear anything from him. Branwen's spell just finished, and he's silenced. Then he pulls out a staff and makes to attack with it. Everybody, roll initiative.

Because "no actions in dialogue mode" is silly.
    jmerry wrote: »
    Because "no actions in dialogue mode" is silly.

Agreed, but important corollary: "NEVER interrupt the DM's painstakingly written villain's monologue. You WILL regret it." ;)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    DM: So to start off, Player One and Player Two are in Candlekeep. Player One, you are about to leave with Gorion.
    Player Two: So I guess I'm leaving with them?
    DM: You could try to sneak out, sure.
    Player Two: Okay.
    Players Three and Four: What about us?
    DM: You're still at the Friendly Arm Inn. You likely won't join the party for another session.
    Player Three: Wh-what?
    Player Four: There's no way you're doing that to us.
    Player Six: And how long will it be until I join the party?
    DM: You've been captured by gnolls tens of miles away. You won't be able to play for several sessions.
    Players Five and Six: :s
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited June 2020
    Player1: We want to enter Baldur's Gate.
    DM: Sorry, They aren't letting anybody into the city due to the bandit situation.
    Player1: It's a big city dude. There's got to be someway in. We'll enter through the sewers.
    DM: No can do.
    Player2: I'll hide in shadows at night and sneak past the guards.
    DM: Nope, won't work.
    Player2: Why not?
    DM: Because. The whole city is locked down so the gates are closed.
    Player2: I'll climb the walls then.
    DM: Sorry, there is no wallclimbing in this campaign.
    Player2: Wow, I sure wasted those skill points then.
    Player3: How about those fishermen? We'll steal one of their boats and enter at the docks district.
    DM: They don't have a boat.
    Player3: What, they only fish off their dock?
    DM: Yep.
    Player1: We've already killed a bunch of those bandits. Are you telling me that an entire militia is so scared of those wimps that they locked down the entire city?
    DM: Yep.
    Player4: This sucks. These people are lame. Let's head west to Daggerdale instead...
    DM: Well I spent the better part of a month creating this scenario but by all means, let's just start a WOTC campaign instead...
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2020
    DM: You finally enter the room in the spellhold and finally find your long-lost sister.
    Player One: Anything to loot?
    DM: Ehem, NO. But in front of you is your beloved childhood friend, the one you spend fifteen sessions tracking, worried sick about if she´s dead or alive...
    Player five: Oh, so that´s what we were doing killing dragons and Kuo-Tuoas and trolls and stuff. Cool.
    Player four: I thought we were collecting money for Player one´s fortress simulator or something...
    DM: (sighs) The mysterious coordinator shows up, wearing a cowl, and starts talking about your potential.
    Player One: OH!, I know the guy of the potential, He´s the one that showed up in the prologue. You know, the big bad guy.
    DM. ...
    DM: All you see is a mysterious figure in a cowl..
    Player two: He´s totally the guy. You even put the same snobbish voice!
    Player one: I wanna take a peek inside the cowl
    DM: You see nothing
    Player two: I will cast true sight!
    DM. No you can´t because... because...
    All players: Yes?
    DM. Ok, you win, he´s the big bad guy of the snobbish voice.
    Player one: Knew it!!
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2020
    Player five: Suddenly you see Yoshimo, your friendly and faithful rogue companion take a step forward and start talking with the one that was revealed as your mortal enemy. When you see him besides Irenicus all of you are suddenly aware of his betrayal...
    All Players:...
    Player two: So, BBG is a mage, right? I wanna use my spellcraft skills to discern what kind of enchantments are protecting him.
    DM. Sorry, that´s not allowed in my campaign.
    Player two: So how do you prepare a counterspell?
    DM. You don´t
    Player three: Told you to put those skillpoints into Netherworld knowledge and Ancient languages...
    DM: Uh, about that...
    Player five: Hey, wait? Didn`t you hear me? You are now fully aware of your companion´s betrayal. Yoshimo was a traitor all this time.
    All Players: ....
    Player three: Ah, yeah, totally unexpected. I´m shocked.
    Player one: I´m in a loss for words. Never see that coming. You too, Two?
    Player two: Not real... I mean, yeah! How could you Yoshimo? We were sharing our pasts, killing slavers and more slavers and even more slavers, we made braids to each other... Et tu, Yoshi?
    DM: Everybody, roll me a save vs overacting, please.
    Player Five: Hey, Anyone saw my armour and the things in my backpack? I´m suddenly empty.
    Player One: muggles?
    Player three: who knows? strange things happen in a fantasy game
    Player two: A wizard did it...
    DM: By the way, Player Five, you understand that your character became an enemy of the party, so I have to take control of your character and he becomes unplayable, right?
    Player Five: Yeah, I´m ok with that. I´ll take the Imoen character from here when we rescue her.
    Player two: Hey, that was my character. That´s so uncool, dude!
    Player Five: You already have a good-hearted redhaired rogue-mage! Now I want mine!!
    DM: You two, make me a D20 contested Diva roll against each other.
    Player One. We´ve been like 5 minutes without talking about me, myself and my things; and you know this campaign is all about me, so Can we move on?
    DM: Two, five, you do not have to roll, we already have an unbeatable winner.
    Player Three: Why I am even playing this campaign, again?

Post edited by PsicoVic on