Skip to content

Hardest to find spell scrolls from BG1 in BG2?

Curious which scrolls might be tough to find for one reason or another.

My main character in BG1 is part mage but I'm holding off on learning a ton of spells for that sweet 100x scribing XP bonus in 2. :p Cheesy but I might as well, I'm not suffering for lack of Knock or anything.

If I were to go to BG2 with nothing but Magic Missile, Melf's Acid Arrow, and Fireball...what useful spells might I have a hard time getting in BG2? Especially early on when they might be more useful.

Comments

• Tommy123Tommy123 Member Posts: 27
    edited November 2019
    You can unscribe spells from your spell book and then scribe them again. So there is no need to wait until BG 2 for scribing a spell.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    I do know that, but that strikes me as even more exceptionally cheesy. I guess I could, though. Unscribe and rescribe everything I come across...
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    Not strictly a BG1 item, but improved haste is a tricky thing to find, as well as being enormously powerful
    There are exactly two places in SoA you can buy this; one of them (cutpurse) is flat out not there 50% of the time, and the other (Carlig) changes his inventory when you advance the plot. So it’s easy to miss.
    In some play throughs this leads to weird situations where your mages can throw around wish/timestop/ADHW all over the place, but can barely muster a single improved haste between them.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    edited November 2019
    Actually, Improved Haste shows up in three SoA shops. The Caravan Merchant in Trademeet also has a pair of them, for five total scrolls you can buy or steal in SoA (and all three merchants in question can be stolen from). For the really rare sixth level spells, look to some things you never use like the summons and Stone to Flesh.

Also, both Aerie and Neera have Improved Haste already in their spellbooks when you recruit them. Or, at least, that's true for the version of Neera I recorded. Her starting spellbook may depend on the level you recruit her at.
    iosfrustration
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    A fun variation I've considered for mages to get around the EXP scribing thing is that at certain points of the game, you MUST unscribe your entire spellbook as it was confiscated: at the beginning of BG2, and at Spellhold. Build everything from scratch, or be allowed to keep maybe 1 spell per level.
    StummvonBordwehrBlackraveniosfrustrationgorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited November 2019
    i never scribe and erase for xp, and it is a choice of mine, i am fine if others do it.
    but in the original bernard had an unlimited supply of a certain spell, so using a thief and selling and stealing wands or other valuable items to a fence you can have almost unlimited money, so buy unlimited spells to scribe and erase.

EE got rid of that unlimited supply of that scroll, now i don't remember what it actually was.
    and here i come to know that
    jmerry wrote: »
    A special note there: Ribald's special wares have an unlimited supply of Freedom scrolls. You can keep buying them as long as you have the gold, and they only cost as much as a typical level 4 scroll each.
    so the trick, or exploit depending on personal opinion, is still open, only delayed a bit. ;)

EDIT: if i want to farm more XP i prefer the limited wish method, you need a mage with PI and a limited wish scroll and the cursed scroll that lowers WIS, then the PI chose to be protected from vampires.
    the vampires spawn to protect you, but following their nature they attack you. if you survive you get the xp for the kills, about 60K each time. and i feel that it is well earned xp, you bleed, sweat and work hard to get it so you deserve it...

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    jmerry wrote: »
    - Spell Shield. Available in the Underdark, while you're disguised as a drow (1x).

This scroll is available from Carlig, true, but NOT when you're disguised as a drow. Tested it myself just now, also here.
    Grond0jmerry
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Huh. You're right, that's his original shop (worst prices in the game). I just read my spreadsheet wrong there. I'll edit in a correction.
    JuliusBorisov