Skip to content

[MOD][BETA] Tome and Blood: More Options for Wizards and Sorcerers

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    @Endarire , ummm I know we talked about it at some point, but IDK if we ever implemented it... I don't think we did. @subtledoctor ?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited November 2019
    Thankee. The 'Arcane Bloodline' helps make up for the lack of spell swapping by granting us more spells known that we want anyway, leaving more room for more niche spells.
    Do class-based cast speed penalties only apply in combat? Prebuffing takes long enough already.
    I'd also like innate familiar functionality with the Warlock mod if such is viable.
    ArthasThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    First of all, thanks for the new version.

Apologize if I ask, but if I go for Ability Score Bonus inside Tome of Battle I should be fine without having to install the one from scales of balance, or do I remember wrong?
    Arthas
    Got it. Please merge both. Thanks for answering.
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    I agree. Why not merging them?
    StummvonBordwehr
    KamigoroshiThacoBell
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Maybe that train of thought could futher be simplyfied by making familiars into a limited spell sequencer storage device for one spell of the spellcaster's personal choosing? The amount of stored spell may or may not then increase with higher levels. Kind of like the Witch in Pathfinder, who basically uses her familar as a living spellbook.
    I find the idea of a familiar very weird in the context of BG. No matter how much thought one puts into them, they are simply odd.

1) The loss of constitution if you lose a familiar is disgusting.
    2) The bonus hp is 99% of the reason everyone uses them
    3) They are mostly useful in BG1, but they rapidly lose their usefullness.

I think that one way one could improve them is simply by making them level up together with you to never be "useless".
    But there is always a matter of consistency when you write about these familiars having these powers: why is no one using them like that? And also... the few familiars you meet should share these abilities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Arthas
    Imp & quasit: chances to mildly poison enemies on hit for a short amount of time. (Both of them have stingers. No reason not to use them.)

Ferret: foul odor, spell-like ability which afflicts sickening to individuals within a small range for 1 round. (Yes, they do stink that much.)
    [Deleted User]
    edited November 2019
    Djinn
    edited November 2019
    I do believe outsider familiars should be more potent than mundane animals. They are bonafide fiends after all. But maybe that's just me. Overall, I'd also give each familiar a disadvantage as well. Especially if those familiars are mostly outside the bag. Surely enough that should make for more interactions between master and familiar.

Pseudodragon:
    - Hoarder: Occasionally steals gold from its master for its own miniature hoard.

Fairy Dragon:
    - Prankster: Occasionally pranks its master by hiding enemy drops.

Rabbit:
    - Burrow: Can quickly create underground burrows to escape certain doom. (Basically a tiny Dimension Portal without the magical flair)
    - Weak Hearted: higher chance for Morale Failure

Cat:
    - Nocturnal: Sleeps throughout most of the day. (Ever had a cat? They sleep for 16 hours straight!)

Ferret:
    - Destroyer: Chances to destroy a random item when stuck inside the bag for too long.

Imp:
    - Fiend: Party reputation drops inside human settlements when witnessed by others.

Dust Mephit:
    - Dust Cloud: small AoE Dust Aura, causing creatures with lungs to cough uncontrollable for as long as the cloud persists.
    - Dusty Air: Slightly decreases the field of vision for the party.
    (The whole grease theme is truthfully a better fit for mud mephits. The quasielement of dust mephits is far less "wet".)

Quasit:
    - Fiend: Party reputation drops inside human settlements when witnessed by others.

edited November 2019
    ArthasKamigoroshi
    I don't know why but the thought of having a giant spider familiar that actually improves in size with levels made me think about roleplaying a shadow druid. Would be cool if I could upgrade it when I get control of the grove.
    I don't see much of an issue there myself. Imps were always baatezu in AD&D second edition PnP, quasits in turn tanar'ri. Distinctive enough for me. As far as Planescape books goes mephits were descriped as imp-like in apperance. Not as straight-up, reskinned imps themselves. Again, works for me.

Personally I'd remove the pseudodragon, fairy dragon, imp, dust mephit and quasit from the starter familiars altogether. To level the field a bit. The outsiders and dragon-like magical beasts could then be reintroduced as a higher "tier". Maybe for level 12 arcane casters or as HLA's later on. That way mages could actually choose which kind of elemental, para-elemental or quasi-elemental mephit they want without cluttering up the mundane animal familiars.

In place for the old supernatural familiars I could imagine the following:

LG: Dog
    NG: Chicken
    CG: Squirrel
    LE: Rat
    NE: Spider
    CE: Snake
    Djinn
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    What about having different familiars giving different passive bonuses beyond/instead of hp boosts? Like small boosts to a saving throw, or some very mild regen.
    edited November 2019
    Djinn
    edited November 2019
    There is conflicting information in 2E, and I think in Planescape imps and quasits were not in fact truly among the ranks of baatezu and tanar'ri. I could be wrong, but that's my recollection. And frankly, if they are, then I think they would be wholly inappropriate as familiars. Actual fiends? Demons from the afterlife, hopping around helping some human mage in his quest to loot this or that dungeon? Doesn't make sense to me.
    That's pretty much their described job in Planescape: lend a "helping" hand to morsels, slowly corrupt them and drag their souls into their respective planes to create new manes/dregs. Both sides are always eager to replendish the cannon fodder for the Blood War. The war coffers won't fill on their own even in the afterlife.
    And the mephit could maybe (maybe!) have an innate ability that lets you choose its native element (fire/ice/earth/air/mud/dust/lightning).
    That will be a tall order. Given the sheer amount of mephits out there in the Great Wheel:
    Elemental: Air, Fire, Earth, Water
    Para-Elemental: Smoke, Ooze, Ice, Magma
    "Positive" Quasi-Elemental: Lightning, Minerals, Radiance, Steam
    "Negative" Quasi-Elemental: Vacuum, Dust, Ash, Salt

Also, that mud mephit we talked about? Looks like that was a creation of the 5th edition. My bad. No biggy tho, we just have to rename it to ooze mephit instead. Given that the Para-Elemental Plane of Ooze is a mix between earth and water.
    Looks like multiclass sorcerors failed to install due to errors.
    ThacoBell
    edited November 2019
    Some more random thoughts about those shiny new animal familiars:

Dog:
    - Smell: Can detect invisible enemies
    - Bellowing: sound attack with possibility to afflict deafness for 1 round
    - can be strengthened by FnP Magic Fang/Animal Growth spells
    - Medium: No AC bonus vs. missiles
    - owner passive bonus: none

Rat:
    - Plague Carrier: Chances to afflict the diseased status on hit for 1 round
    - Swarm: summons weak (level 1?) rats to fight alongside with
    - tiny: 6-point AC bonus vs. missiles
    - owner passive bonus: hardiness against becoming diseased?

Edit: And as a bonus:

Chicken: (because who wouldn't want to have a chicken familiar?!)
    - Crowing: wakes up any sleeping creatures in reach, be it friend or foe
    - Flying: immune to Grease/Entangle/Web
    - small: 4-point AC bonus vs. missiles
    - owner passive bonus: hardiness against sleep
    Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
    Djinn
    edited November 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Looks like multiclass sorcerors failed to install due to errors.

Some kind of mod conflict? What was the actual error?

Also, TnB should be installed before FnP - with the new expanded multiclass sorcerers, this is really important. Maybe try uninstalling FnP and doing TnB first, and see if there is still an error.

Nope, component still fails. There shouldn't be any conflicts unless a new update broke something. I haven't added any new mods or changed my install order.

Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "might_and_guile/lib/d5_base.spl")

Why would it be trying to read something from MIght and Guile? Isn't that supposed to be the last kit mod before FnP multiclass?
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    I got it to install with some fiddling. It would only work if I did Tome minus the multi sorcs, then faiths, then might and guile, then the multi sorcs, then the Faiths multiclasses.