Skip to content

Reasons to (not) kill all the crusaders in the DC courtyard?

2»

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Quite a few of the crusaders that are in the castle courtyard do show up again in the big battle, so presumably yes, if they're dead via your actions they wouldn't show up again come time for the actual siege, but I couldn't say for certain as I've never tried it.
    IIRC up to a dozen characters won't show up if they've been killed earlier. Good luck trying to take on the whole courtyard, though...
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Ardanis wrote: »
    Good luck trying to take on the whole courtyard, though...

Dang, this sentence alone got me to itch starting a new char just to do it. I think I've done since normally I'm maxed out long before I reach that point and don't bother with any small quests by then, but I might be misremembering, was quite some time ago I played SoD.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    If you start in the NW corner of the map and slowly work your way down, pulling enemies where you can (and more importantly, bottlenecking them at that gate in the NW), I think it could be done. You'd need to carefully conserve your spells in the fights though (or bring a lot of scrolls and wands).
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Skatan wrote: »
    Ardanis wrote: »
    Good luck trying to take on the whole courtyard, though...

Dang, this sentence alone got me to itch starting a new char just to do it. I think I've done since normally I'm maxed out long before I reach that point and don't bother with any small quests by then, but I might be misremembering, was quite some time ago I played SoD.

Nope, nope and nope. Tried a couple of times on Insane with an old solo FMT I had a save in chapter 10 with. Had one run that lasted 30 minutes of kiting back and forth etc, but in the end it just seemed new crusaders were constantly spawned and I started to run out of potions. I didn't go too heavily on augmentation potions, mostly just healing and a few antidotes here and there so I could probable have increased my killing speed and reduced the damage taken. But it was a fun experience and perhaps with a maxed out 6 man party it could be done since solo I had trouble establishing a foothold and had to constantly retreat back to not trigger another group of mercs joining the battle.

Used arrows of detonation, wands of fire etc but in the end it took many hits to kill anything to make it quick enough to continue inwards of the courtyard. Killed a couple of named guys, Tristan, Deenan (?) and some more, but never even got past the first section inside the gates, hehe..
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Ah, the crusaders keep on spawning more enemies then? Well, that answers that question. XD
  • MugsterMugster Member Posts: 1
    I did it yesterday 2 hour fight! Used tons of health potions. Yes they keep respawning but slowly enough to manage one you have killed all named npc's. Tons of Xp. Could have stayed there forever farming Xp.
    Unfortunately I let Minsc Beserk at beginning of Fight and he died, and on going back today his gear had disappeared apart from Sword of Balduran, so will prolly reload