Skip to content

New Player looking for Advice

Hey y'all, simple and quick question (new player to BG but not IE games): is the party I have good enough to complete the game or do I need to consider adding anyone else?

CHARNAME
Paladin
** Two-Handed Sword
* War Hammer
* Two-Handed Style

Khalid sword and board
Jaheira sling and staff
Imoen shortbow (dual classed to Mage?)

Thanks for your input, loving the game so far.
Permidion_StarkJuliusBorisov

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    You can certainly get through the game with that party (especially if you use a tweak to remove the XP cap). However, you are going to run into the problem of not having a thief if Imoen dual classes and it will take a long time for her to get her abilities back. At this point I generally take Alora into the party.

Also, not having a mage will make fights against enemy spellcasters a lot harder. Even at low levels it is quite handy to have someone who can fire off some spells to disrupt enemy casters (though you can often get away with using Imoen's Wand of Magic MIssiles to do this).
    JuliusBorisov
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Add Minsc and Dynaheir and you'll be set :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • FloydFloyd Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2019
    So, I've never been a fan of magic in the IE games, it just feels like too much maintenance or something to me (heresy, I know lol). So after deliberation and combing over the list of characters moreso considering alignment than raw power, I came up with this team and just finalized it today. A pressing question: will Yeslick leave if I don't do his quest quickly enough?
    (I'm only playing on Normal so no mages has not been an issue so far)
    CHARNAME Cavalier - 2h Swords / War Hammer and shield
    Khalid - Long Sword and shield
    Yeslick - Mace/War Hammer and shield
    Jaheira - Sling and Quarterstaff
    Coran - Longbow
    Imoen - Shortbow
    Floyd wrote: »
    A pressing question: will Yeslick leave if I don't do his quest quickly enough?
    Completing Yeslick's quest shouldn't be a problem. You are likely to finish it as a matter of course very shortly after you meet him.
    You meet him in Cloakwood Mine and since his quest is to flood the mine you will be able to finish his quest almost straight away
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited November 2019
    Like you, I too have an aversion to "mage chess".
    However, whilst you can (to a certain extent) "hack and slash" your way through BG1, if you enjoy it and want to go on to BG2 you will need to know your way around the mechanics of spell casting and usage. So I would advise getting as much spell casting practice in as possible during BG1 (even though you may you may not like it or need it at the time, it will pay dividends in BG2).
    JuliusBorisov
    Completing Yeslick's quest shouldn't be a problem. You are likely to finish it as a matter of course very shortly after you meet him.

So does that mean he WILL leave if I don't do it quickly enough? I grabbed him and immediately left for Beregost to turn in Coran's timed quest. I wanted to get some adventuring clean up done in some areas before going back to the Mine and essentially put the main story on hold for side content.

Ok dunbar, thank you for the advice! I understand the basics as I just beat Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment, both lousy with casters lol, but I'll consider another mage if I find one :)
    Floyd wrote: »

So does that mean he WILL leave if I don't do it quickly enough? I grabbed him and immediately left for Beregost to turn in Coran's timed quest. I wanted to get some adventuring clean up done in some areas before going back to the Mine and essentially put the main story on hold for side content.

As far as I'm aware Yeslick's quest has no time limit on it. But then, whenever I have taken him into my party I have always flooded the mine straight afterwards so it could be that I have missed it. I think most NPCs give you some kind of warning before they quit the party because you haven't completed a quest.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yeslick's quest has a timer, 5 days.
    Permidion_StarkStummvonBordwehr
    edited November 2019
    Yeslick's quest has a timer, 5 days.

Thank you so much, I couldn't find this info anywhere, even on the wiki or random threads about quest timers! Looks like I'm going straight back to the Mine now lol.

Edit: Some tags for people searching this info in the future... yeslick companion quest timed timer five 5 days leave party group