Skip to content

Does changing the frame rate affect game play in anyway?

I'm currently playing with the framerate increased slightly. I assumed that this would make everything run slightly faster but does it break anything, e.g. do spell durations etc. all change with the framerate, or does something that would last say 10 seconds with the default framerate still last 10 seconds when you've sped up the game or is the duration reduced to take into account the increased framerate?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    changing the frame rate also changes the time, so if default is 30, and a round is 6 seconds

that means if you are playing at 60 fps then a round is 3 seconds

i've been playing 60 fps for ages ( i even used to play 90 in vanilla bg2 ) dont really find it a problem

except when i see people play at 30, oi does that nauseate me hahaha :)
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Cheers, for that. I assumed it would behave like that but I came across a post on reddit recently where someone vaguely referred to problems with timings for various things no longer working correctly, dialogs sometimes getting skipped etc. so wanted a second opinion.
    60fps is too fast for me but I do have it boosted slightly to increase the walking speed of the party.
  • SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2019
    I have been considering this. Even before I started playing. I saw some tubers walking considerably faster and it became clear they were using a frame fix and I was about to do the same. But then I read some posts somewhere that this has negative mechanical effects and I was hesitated.

So can you fully confirm that there are absolutely no adverse effects ?

Also little bit offtopic, but what is the deal with actions per round ? I know you can cast only once per round, and hit melee 1, 3/2, etc according to your APR, but once in a while I notice that a character performs both a melee hit and a spell cast in the same round (for fighter-mage classes). But I am not able to time these.

Obviously if a spell has casting time of 10, character will be casting it during the whole round, but what if the casting time is just 1 ? So does it mean you will cast it quickly in the round thus allowing you to perform a melee hit in the remainder of the round ? And vice verse, hit quickly in the opening round and then interrupt the character to immediately start recitating a quick spell in the same round ?

And finally I am completely unable to say in which round I am in a given battle. Am I in a new round, or am I in the previous round still ? The game does not give information during combat in which round I am, or even in which segment of the round I am.

Some classic RPGs have round systems too, but they implement in addition action points per round which tells you clearly in which segment of the round I am. For example DOS is such a system. It does not only allow you to be in control of the rounds but further allows you to tactically use the action points and transfer some to the next round. It is a rather smart system. But sure DOS is a modern advanced rpg engine while BG engine is archaic but would have been nice to have some kind of control during the rounds in order to max and get the most of your available options.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @Soido Your Attacks per Round is simply how quickly you can attack. Your initiative determines how long it takes you to make your first attack. (if your HP are low and a single hit can end the fight, your initiative may end up being more important than the number of attacks that you can make per round)
    As for spells, well, every time you do magic, your aura becomes clouded, and you cannot do any more magic until your aura clears up again. You can still do other things though, such as attacking or running away. Spells with long casting times can be chained to each other with almost no break in-between because the game tracks when you START doing magic, not when you finish it. If you try to chain spells with short casting times, your character will spend most of the round just standing around. So you may want to have the character do something else while waiting for the aura to clear up.
    Mages and sorcerers will ultimately be able to acquire a spell that will allow them to completely negate the aura clouding for a short period of time. This will permit them to cast very many spells and finish major battles within a few seconds.
    In order to keep track of the rounds, you could try to use the auto-pause function.
    As far as I understand initiative is simply the speed factor of the weapon. And for spells it is the casting time of the spell. Both from 1 to 10.

So is it fair to say that in a single round you can cast magic missile with casting time 1 and also make a melee hit with a weapon with speed factor less or equal to 9 ?
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    There is a mod, or mods that just add an innate ability to outside battles walk fast without increase frame rate. I found it useful.
    edited November 2019
    I just did some testing and here is what I find. With "Pause on end of round" option turned on.

I am equipped with a mace with speed factor 6 and have available Armor of Faith with casting speed 1.

Scenario 1 - Casting spell first

Immediately cast Armor of Faith - as soon as the spell is cast (which happens as soon as you press the cast button) the game pauses automatically. So it means that the end of my round immediately. Thus you CANNOT cast a spell (no matter how fast a spell it is) and then perform a melee hit in the same round. Casting a spell immediately ends your turn.

Scenario 2 - Make a melee hit followed by a spell cast

It turns out that now you can perform 2 actions. This time I open the battle with a melee hit and immediately cast Armor of Faith once you see the weapon swing. So I wait to see when will the game auto-pause trigger. And it triggers after I cast Armor of Faith. So this means first melee and then use a spell performs two actions in a round.

It would be interesting to see if you can do 3/2 melee hit (with a dagger) and cast Armor of Faith in the same round. But my test character is a Cleric/Mage and has no skill to do 3/2 attacks in order to test this.

Scenario 3 - This is where things start to look really weird. This time I will melee with 6 mace followed by Doom with cast time of 9. Obviously 6+9 = 15 so I should expect the auto-pause to trigger somewhere in the middle of casting Doom. But it triggers after successfully casting Doom ! Which means you can exploit this system by first melee and then cast 9 or 10 speed spell. Somehow the game "compacts" the actions in a single round, thus you gain extra dimensional time. This might be a bug.
    The "auto-pause on end of round" is bugged. I had hoped that maybe Beamdog had fixed it since the last time I gave it a try. But it is probably not a priority.
    There are weird things going on. For example,

While I was testing my build, as explained above, casting Armor of Faith (speed 1 spell) automatically ends my turn.

However, if I first melee and then cast AF, you have to keep an eye as of what your opponent is doing.

Behold my opponent casts both Mirror Image and Horror at the same round ! So how does it becomes possible for enemies to cast 2 spells in a round while my round ends as soon as I cast AF ?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited November 2019
    @Soido
    Autopause: "end of round" is a combination of "end of round", "spell cast", and "activated item".
    There is no option to autopause strictly on the "end of round".
    You can perform up to 4 different actions in the same round, provided you don't spend too long on any of them:
    Move - Attack - Cast spell or Activate Item - Modal
    You enter too many factors in the equation and stray away from the core problem. In fact there is a one enemy Zordral who does not move and only casts for a few rounds. Then you can limit the "noise" and see that things break down mechanically pretty easily. No need to expand the equation as simply put it breaks down on more fundamental level than you suggest. If you expand the equation without knowing the fundamental you will be in a maze of possibilities. You must focus on the fundamentals.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Try it with Imoen using the wand of magic missiles and her bow. I'm sure that if you fire off a magic missile then immediately pause the game and order her to attack with the bow, you can get both actions in the same round. Pause as soon as you see the arrow fly and switch back to using the wand for the start of the next round.
    Probably easier to do it with a bow than a melee weapon as a bow naturally attacks twice per round.
    If you want a reliable indicator for separate rounds, use the Turn Undead function of clerics/paladins or the Bardsong of bards.
    The issue with the rounds might be more complicated than that because I am thinking that in a 6 party game the auto-pause will be triggering on each charater's end of the turn. This will very quickly become annoying. Maybe it is okay to activate that option only for the hardest fights.