Skip to content

What do you usually use (Limited) Wish for?

I don't feel like I've ever fully used its potential. Perhaps someone could give me an idea.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    There are tons of extremely powerful and borderline cheesy uses for Wish and Limited Wish, including spell-reset loops, bunny bomb, mass dispels, etc.

Personally, I find Wish too cheesy and don't use it at all. But that is just my own personal preference. It is in the game, it has a place in D&D lore, and there isn't really an objective reason not to use it.
    EinhardtJuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteenCrevsDaak
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I use it for the glasses!
    EinhardtCrevsDaaksemiticgoddess
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    For the lolz.
    sarevok57CrevsDaak
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I use it for the armor once every blue moon, and I've thought about maybe using negative energy protection in a tight spot, but that doesn't last long enough to really pan out.
    Einhardtsarevok57CrevsDaak
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited January 2017
    I usually use it to trigger an interesting (at least from the point of view of the reward: Boomerang Dagger +2) hidden quest.........
    Einhardtsarevok57CrevsDaakAerakar
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2017

bunny bomb

AFAIUI that never actually worked[1]. It was just someone being, uhm, a bit "poetic". (Unless it's been changed to actually work in the EE, obviously.)

[1] Source: Alesia_BH in the Bioware forums.
    CrevsDaak
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Hilariously enough, by the time I have a limited wish scroll, I already have the firetooth dagger. SO the reward isn't really worth it.
    Gallowglass_Luke_CrevsDaak
  • Raven999Raven999 Member Posts: 20
    If you're a solo high level caster, you can defeat pretty much anything in the game using a combination of Limited Wish and Wish.
    However, this is hardly a reliable method, since the Wish spell never guaranties you a good set of options.

When faced with one or more powerful foes, do the following steps.

1- Protect your caster with Spell Immunity: Necromancy or Protection from Magical Energy.
    2- Cast Limited Wish and ask the genie for a horde of allies to overrun your enemies.
    3- Cast Wish and chose to option: "Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting on everyone in the area, including the party."

Every creature in the area will get hit by at least one ADHW, while those standing in groups will get hit by several.

With some 20 odd bunnies jumping around your foe(s) + 20 odd Horrid Wiltings all hitting the same spot, I can guarantee you the battle will NOT last long.

It's fun to see once or twice, but too cheesy to have any real RP value.
    Still thought I'd put it up there ; )
    brunardoAndreaColomboiosfrustration
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    For getting torn into pieces by an adamantine golem, a juggernaut golem and a sand golem when asking the djinni for more XP with a low wisdom character. It is fun to see at least once.....
    CrevsDaakAerakar
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    edited July 2017
    EDIT: Hah, just noticed that I've alread refuted this before :). Still refuted, though, unless someone can provide actual in-game evidence, I guess?

Old thread, but I should just say: According to the legendary Alesia_BH the bunny bomb does not work... and never has.

Regardless of who you believe, you'll want to try it out in your particular install before relying on it.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    The bunny bomb certainly doesn't work in the EE. You can only summon up to 5 rabbits anyway as they are caught by the summoning limit - and then you have to kill one of them in order to be able to summon a genie to give you your wish (this is a recognized bug that may be fixed in a future update). However, that's all irrelevant as the ADHW option only applies the spell once to everyone in the area anyway, i.e. the effect is targeted specifically on individuals rather than being the normal ADHW area effect.
    Aerakarsemiticgoddessgorgonzolaiosfrustration
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Grond0 said:

The bunny bomb certainly doesn't work in the EE. You can only summon up to 5 rabbits anyway as they are caught by the summoning limit - and then you have to kill one of them in order to be able to summon a genie to give you your wish (this is a recognized bug that may be fixed in a future update). However, that's all irrelevant as the ADHW option only applies the spell once to everyone in the area anyway, i.e. the effect is targeted specifically on individuals rather than being the normal ADHW area effect.

Actually, there is a fix for it made by Tresset, check it out here
    iosfrustration
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

Actually, there is a fix for it made by Tresset

Thanks. Just to clarify though, that's only a fix for the bug in the EE that counts the rabbits towards the summoning limit - that still won't make the bunny bomb work.
    iosfrustration
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited December 2019
    topic resurrection... :)
    Kurona wrote: »
    A low wisdom character can ask to be "protected from undead right now" when casting Limited Wish. This summons a bunch of hostile vampires that can be turned immediately by Viconia (if she's sufficiently leveled), giving you a small army. Not the most amazing thing ever, but it has its uses.
    i use a variant of that to get almost infinite xp, that can be earned blooding and sweating or really easy to get.
    once the vampires are summoned a high enough cleric can turn them making them explode, the easy way, or the party can fight them, the way that make you feel you have earned the XP.
    because the kills grant roughly 50k xp.

at high enough level is possible to use wish to replenish the spell book, so many limited wishes can be cast in a row so in a short time is possible to have the party hitting the level cap, while with some other infinite xp loops it takes forever.

and as long as you fight and don't make the vampires explode i don't see it as so cheesy.
    you are supposed to get the xp that what you do in game grant to you, but this is only a fixed number in our minds, NOT IN THE WAY THE GAME IS IMPLEMENTED.
    some tactics like summoning demons and killing them don't work, as you don't get xp for it, and it is a deliberate game design.
    but killing the monsters created trough the limited wish give xp, and this is intended, there is even a one time only use that summon some golems when you ask to be more experienced.
    you fight, you win, you get xp, simple as that, no cheese at all.

the fact that wishing for vampires is not a one time only wish is quite irrelevant for me.
    would be relevant only if the false assumption that there is a fixed amount of xp would be true. in that case also importing from sod or playing the quests of the new EE npcs would have been as cheesy as alter the amount of xp you can get.

it is like turning to stone and then to flash foe, it is legittimate both to turn to stone the enemies, and if there is some cheese is from the developers as the creature is not dead so tecnically you should not get the xp, but you do, and is also legittimate to turn a petrified creature to flash.
    how many times and with how many creatures is completely up to the player.

the only self limitation that i impose to me is that there must be actual fight and effort, so the vampires have to be killed and not made explode and the creature turned to stone and then to flash should not be feebleminded, but it has only to do with my player pride, i don't see don't doing it as wrong or cheesy.

while i see the risk of boredom running a party overleveled, like i see the boredom of running a too optimized party with charname with super stats. boring things that remove challenge, but not cheesy ones, completely legittimate.

iosfrustrationsemiticgoddess
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    the creature turned to stone and then to flash should not be feebleminded

Now this is a truly epic level feat of cheese. If cheese were a class ability this would be an HLA, I can’t wait to try it out.
    gorgonzola
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    A character of mine had it memorized for roleplaying reasons. He was a vanilla wizard and had a versatile spellbook, so I'd use it mostly for healing and negative plane protection.
    gorgonzolaiosfrustration
    edited December 2019
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    the creature turned to stone and then to flash should not be feebleminded

Now this is a truly epic level feat of cheese. If cheese were a class ability this would be an HLA, I can’t wait to try it out.

yes it is. the only dragon that wake up from his feeblemind status that i know is a red dragon in the tactics mod, all the other foe that you can feeblemind basically does not react, so if you manage to land a successful feeblemind you can do what you want but cast on the enemy a dispel magic or a heal spell.
    so to turn a dragon or an other xp rewarding enemy many times into stone and back to flash is only a matter of having mages with lower resistance and greater malison memorized and the spells to petrify and revert. and in soa after LR and GM you have a good chance that the spells work, while the wk and tob dragons have much better ST, even if it is still possible to do.
    having enough mages with PI and memorizing only the needed spells for the combo you can get the kill xp many times each rest.

with no challenge at all, this is why when i do it i do it without feeblemind, at least the first 10 times to prve to myself that the party can do it at will, and as the foe is at 1hp you can not use summons as shield as the dragon must not take damage or the loop is broken, or sometimes i even turn it to flash and then heal it, thing that makes the battle easier, as you don't risk to kill him by mistake.

that way i feel that the xp is completely earned and deserved.
    same for the vampires that by the way as are summoned automatically dispel your own summons and protections/buffs, you have to fight 6 high level vampires completely not prepared.
    unless you use an high level aerie with sotm that can immediately go invisible and then turn them, keeping the rest of the party well far. but then again no challenge, so not deserved xp, and is not my style of cheese.
    cheese for me is using not conventional things and tactics, maybe powerful ones, but preserving some challenge and often increasing it with self given limitations on what i can do.
    Post edited by gorgonzola on
    iosfrustration
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited December 2019
    Flesh, not flash. Just pointing it out for clarification. Most of my international friends/neighbors prefer to be corrected rather than be allowed to continue repeating easily fixable mistakes; I hope you'll agree. :smile:
    gorgonzola
    i certainly agree, in the high school i had a terrible english teacher and at the end of it i was not able at all to talk in that language or even understand it.
    i learned the little i know later, on the road, traveling around the word.
    more over i am also mildly dyslectic, so feel free to correct me any time you have a chance to do it, i greatly appreciate it ;)