Skip to content

BG2 Expansion / New Content

GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
Hi Team Beamdog.

Like many on these forums, I appreciated the obvious love and care that went into crafting Siege of Dragonspear. Is there no chance we could see an expansion or additional DLC like that for BG2 or is further content for BG completely off the table now?

IseweinStummvonBordwehrAedanTimbo0o0o0ilduderino

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe that Wizards of the Coast has put the kibosh to any further BG1/2 development as Larian is now working on BG3, so the license is currently with them.
    megamike15ThacoBellgorgonzola
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We don't have any plans regarding DLC for the IE EEs.
    GrimjackMV
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    anything beadog does expansion wise is gonna be nwn ee premium module related.
    Spudhulk
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    We don't have any plans regarding DLC for the IE EEs.

OK. Thanks for letting us know @JuliusBorisov. Very thankful for all the great work Beamdog has put into enhancing the IE titles. I did notice you did not write that never could happen! I hope that those content / DLC plans might change in the future and we could see a little more content for BG1 or BG2.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrAedan
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    I remember Daigle saying he would love to see an extension set between SoA and ToB but it was a personnal wish and not the company's. AFAIK the last thing we can expect for the BG EE games is patches.
    GrimjackMV
    Matthieu wrote: »
    I remember Daigle saying he would love to see an extension set between SoA and ToB but it was a personnal wish and not the company's. AFAIK the last thing we can expect for the BG EE games is patches.

That would be a sweet surprise. You could hope that after SoD they might have a good fix on how to efficiently produce one last additional expansion for the BG EE series.
    IseweinStummvonBordwehrilduderino
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    They haven't ruled out an expansion but did say they see no financially viable way to make an expansion at this time. So something would need to change for that to happen.
    jsaving wrote: »
    They haven't ruled out an expansion but did say they see no financially viable way to make an expansion at this time. So something would need to change for that to happen.

That would be amazing. Here is hoping that later down the road Team Beamdog might be willing to round out the EE series with one last expansion DLC. ^_^
    StummvonBordwehrIseweinZaxares
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    GrimjackMV wrote: »

That would be amazing. Here is hoping that later down the road Team Beamdog might be willing to round out the EE series with one last expansion DLC. ^_^

WoTC would have to give them permission first. I don't see that happening though. They seem very intent on burying the IE series with BG3's focus on P&P and the novels.
    GrimjackMVgorgonzola
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    GrimjackMV wrote: »

WoTC would have to give them permission first. I don't see that happening though. They seem very intent on burying the IE series with BG3's focus on P&P and the novels.

That is so unfortunate. Hopefully, WoTC is able to carve out a space for additional content for the IE series. Beamdog was just getting started, expanding upon the IE classics with Siege of Dragonspear, in my opinion.

And honestly, I am not thrilled with Larian taking the lead on BG3. I know I am in the minority here but I simply could never get into Divinity Original Sin or their sequel. In each case, I found the story weak gruel and the actual gameplay boring as a sawdust.
    IseweinAciferThacoBell
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    WotC does not have a desire to carve out space for additional EE content, as far as I know. But it would be great if they did!
    ThacoBell
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    I don't think IE engines and future D&D products are concurrent for the market. My guess is people that are interested in more Baldur's Gate 1&2 contents will buy the 3 anyway. The opposite may not be true.

I don't see a new BG EE extension scrapping the BG3 market, but again I'm not WotC commercial manager.
    now this is just me but if someone wanted to get more bg 1 and 2 content they will just play mods then getting bg 3.
    SpudhulkThacoBellgorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @megamike15 sadly lately the modders are more focused on other tasks then the one to create quest mods and to some extent mod npcs with their own personal quest.
    but many of the old ones have been ported to EE, even if not all, i still miss a lot the glorious solaufein mod with its very challenging battles.

but i agree with you, there are plenty of mods around that can add new content to bg 1 and 2, much more material then what an official expansion, that probably will never happen and that has really no reason to happen as the only suitable place, the transition from bg to bg2, has already be filled, can add.

probably beamdog can add new content in the form of new npcs with personal quests, if the licence they have permitted to introduce some of them i suppose that it permits to introduce other ones as well.
    but every official new content has to deal with a cost/benefit balance.

to invest money to create the existing EE npcs helped in having the people shifting from the original to the EE and sod is a whole new game that people have to pay if they want to play it.
    i don't see beamdog investing money in the creation of other npcs, both as free content and as content you have to pay to get, they did not manage to be in charge for bg3 and i guess the game is now over, no more new official content for bg 1 and 2, only a final upgrade with the last bugs fixed and some minor changes to game mechanics.
    i don't know what your talking about mods are still being made mainly npc ones. sure they are from the same 3 people but it's not like they are not still being made.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    true, but i told "to some extent" about npc mods.
    my point was that if in the old times much focus was on creating quest mods and npc mods now the main effort of many modders is in changing the game mechanics, without adding new content.

if some years ago was possible to see the creation each year of some new quest mod, some of them with a lot of content, whole new areas, challenging battles, new items, and many mod npcs, some of them with both rp content, romances or dialogue, and/or personal quests involving new adventures and tasks now the whole work of creating new content is basically carried on by 3 modders only.

this is what i am talking about, and i greatly appreciate the work of those 3 people, don't get me wrong about it, i am only saying that the whole task of creating new content is basically weighting on their shoulders only, while in the past was shared among a much larger part of the modding community.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    As games age, interest from the community ebbs off. That's a natural process. Similarly, projects that require less effort are more likely to happen, which is why you see more rules/mechanics based mods than ones with new areas, quests, NPCs, and so on, all of which are quite laborious to create. It's much easier to tweak numbers than it is to flesh out area maps and write compelling dialogue.

The rather involved nature of the engine is holding back a lot of creation, as making mods and implementing them properly is somewhat complicated for people that may have creative energies, but little technical expertise.
    gorgonzola