Skip to content

Toolset error patch 1.79

Awas73Awas73 Member Posts: 63
edited December 2019 in Builders - Toolset
So I updated to patch 1.79 and the new toolset was added. Does anyone know why when you exit the toolset you get this error? Even just launching the toolset, not opening any module, and just closing the toolset I get this error.

Comments

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    I was getting that too, but went away after the hotfix.
    That fixed in the hotfix dev 8193.1 hotfix they release soon after the main patch. If you have steam choose dev build it backward compatible too.
    Link to patch notes.
  • Awas73Awas73 Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2019
    Ok that is nice but there seems to be a trend on these forums that everyone either likes or uses Steam which I think is far from the truth. How does this get fixed when one uses the module purchased through Beamdog direct.
  • badstrrefbadstrref Member Posts: 124
    I can't even enter the toolset
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,286
    The Development Build is also available if you purchased direct from Beamdog.

In the Beamdog client, there is a dropdown. Choose "Development" rather than "Retail" or whatever. Now you have an Update option which will install the Development version in a new location, leaving the Retail version intact so that you can use either.

If you use shortcuts to launch the toolset and the game, you will obviously need new ones for the Development version.

Both versions share the same files in Documents, so you only have one set of saves, fan-made modules and so on.
    edited December 2019
    I have also noticed that when I create a module in the toolset or load one from the vault, the module description screen is empty even though there is a description in the toolset set on the module. If I delete the description the module will display "No Module Description Available". If I add one it shoes nothing. Any reason why? I did use the Dev version of the toolset ( thank you @Porleric) but still does the same thing. Any ideas?
  • Its working in my game - must be 8193a DEV build fixed it.
    So I have the Beamdog client. The dev version I downloaded was 8193.1. Is that the same as 8193a? If so I tried using it and it does not work either.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    The stable build is now updated to 8193.3.
    edited December 2019
    I am at a loss. I guess I just don't understand how upgrading can cause text to not appear in a description field. Not only in modules I made but many community modules as well. Maybe I am missing something but isn't it just text? What in coding could cause it to just disappear?. Everything is there in the toolset but for some weird reason it will not display it in-game. I have upgraded to the new build, launched the toolset, re-built my module under the new version and saved. Still the same result in-game. Really confused!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Tagging @virusman , our Toolset maestro.
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    This doesn’t look Toolset-related. @Awas73 does the same happen with modules you haven’t edited in the Toolset?
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited December 2019
    I can duplicate this every time by doing the following in the Toolset and loading the Module.

Toolset steps:

It is by using the ... option in the Description Field, and changing the drop down of the language to a different language than what I set in the toolset Options - Language (English).

1. Tools - Options - Language. Select the language you'd like the Toolset to be in.
    2. Press OK.
    3. Edit - Module Properties - Description.
    4. Press the ...
    5. Change the language to something other than the language you selected in step #1.
    6. Type a module description in the box which appears from step #4.
    7. Press OK.
    8. Returns to Module Properties window.
    9. Description does not change.

I believe this happens by selecting ... and changing the language for the module description and it does not match the default Toolset language under Tools - Options - Language.

By using ... and putting in a full description in a different drop down language being selected, may be confusing builders thinking it will actually appear in the first window where the Description tab is located, but it does not work that way. It remains blank, or remains to whatever the description was in that first window.

https://i.imgur.com/RpZaZUE.jpg

So that is the toolset description.

Module steps:

1. Tools - Options - Language. Remain on default, which is English.
    2. Create your Module Description and save the module.
    3. For the game, set your Language in the settings.tml to something not English.
    4. Load your module.
    5. Toolset Language Settings does not match Game Language Settings.
    6. No description.
    7. Toolset and Game Language MUST MATCH or the image below is the result.

So, when building your module in the toolset, make sure it matches the language of your game.

https://i.imgur.com/moJFSq4.jpg

With the 1.69 Toolset set to default English, and the NWNEE settings.tml to French, the description is displayed.

https://i.imgur.com/fac0XuV.jpg

Hope that helps.
    Post edited by Sylvus_Moonbow on
    @virusman Yes. I originally created the module in 1.78. Everything was fine. I launch NWNEE and load a new module. My mod description field works and displays on screen. The moment I update to 1.79 the description disappeared. So I tried building the mod under the new version of the toolset and saving, still No description. I looked up other community mods that I downloaded and they too have no description., but they did before I updated to the new patch. @Sylvus_Moonbow I think I understand what you are saying but how would my language change just by simply updating to patch 1.79?
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,286
    I also noticed that when starting a new game, some custom modules no longer have a description in 1.79, even though it's visible in the toolset.
  • Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    Same here. All of my modules no longer have the description available in game.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    I have seen a report on the vault forums of a different but related bug. Apparently descriptions are now limited to 2000 characters in length (as far as I am aware, there was no practical limit before) and existing descriptions that exceed that limit are now being truncated.

TR
    So thanks to @TarotRedhand, I was able to solve the problem though am a little disappointed about it. It seems they were right. By lowering the character count in my descriptions I was able to make it appear. Which means all the old modules description fields are broken (in a sense) because of it. Not sure why this limitation was put on the field but maybe it has to do with the 64-bit build. I really don't know enough about it and can only speculate. I guess I have to work on condensing my thoughts about this field. I use it to give immersive setting descriptions of my module as well as rules. If this does not change in the future, I may have to come up with an alternate way. Thanks again @TarotRedhand.
    Just hope @virusman revisits this thread and can maybe get this unwanted change reversed.

TR
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    edited December 2019
    These seem to be different bugs. There is a bug with long descriptions being truncated in the Toolset: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/77769/new-toolset-bug-placeable-description-field#latest
    However, the one mentioned in this thread appears to happen regardless of whether a module has been edited with the new Toolset or not.
    As usual, the best way to get it fixed faster is to make a test module with exact steps to reproduce.
    Post edited by virusman on
    Hi @virusman. These two modules are not my actual modules but the description of the modules for each are the ones I used. The 1st module was my original description that worked before the patch. The second has my shorten version of a description in order to be seen by the game. Hope this helps to maybe fix the problem. If not it would be good to know how much of a limitation we are dealing with to go forward in creating new modules. Thank you in advance for any help.
    Hi @virusman. These two modules are not my actual modules but the description of the modules for each are the ones I used. The 1st module was my original description that worked before the patch. The second has my shorten version of a description in order to be seen by the game. Hope this helps to maybe fix the problem. If not it would be good to know how much of a limitation we are dealing with to go forward in creating new modules. Thank you in advance for any help.
    Well I tried to attach a file but I am not allowed to do so in this category.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    @Awas73 Bug reports go to one of these two places:

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues?page=3&sort=id:desc,tracker,subject

Or

https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals

Different BeamDog employees are using different ticketing systems; your best bet with @virusman today is to use the first link, though eventually the second will be the only one in use.

-Dave
    As far as I know. you are now supposed to ignore the first of those addresses and only use the second after the announcement of the changeover by @JuliusBorisov .

TR
    thanks @shadguy I will send it over.