Skip to content

Suggestion: Update the Trello board

I've been playing other stuff for a while, and the 1.79 patch notes are cool and interesting, but wow the Trello appears to be totally abandoned.

Is there a list of what's coming soon anywhere now? Because that's how I was following this, it doesn't even mention recent stuff at all.

Obviously there was a lot of time put into the console ports, but now those are out it'd be nice to know what's happening next.
T0R0jpsweeney941130210

Comments

• Laurensvo92Laurensvo92 Member Posts: 33
    Agreed.
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    Agreed. Hoping we can get some news relatively soon regarding a timeline for the new renderer and iOS version.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @JuliusBorisov
    Trello does look abandoned actually - is it dead?
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    100% agreed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited December 2019
    I'm aware and the team is aware. We'll share an update when we're ready. The game has been getting quite a few patches lately, so it's not dead, don't worry!
  • CaomhCaomh Member Posts: 40
    I'm aware and the team is aware. We'll share an update when we're ready. The game has been getting quite a few patches lately, so it's not dead, don't worry!

Hi I am a customer. I like a lot of other customers work hard for our money. Then we have things such as bills, food, and with some that which is left over we spend on games. Some have larger budgets than others and can only choose a few games.

It is really awesome for when we do spend money it is for a great community where the staff hires others to keep us engaged and interact saying what we want. It makes us feel good that we are listened to (and helps you sell more product).

Here is the thing, if it was not an issue people wouldn't be talking about it. You know that and I know that. It is dismissive to answer with I'm aware. If it was being actively dealt with and frequent updates there would not be conversation about it. Many people have posted the we will do it when we feel like it and found that is when their customers choose a different company to spend their money on. I still remember Bioware's community rep saying, "Patches are a privilege."
    themazingness
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    An update on what's going on would be great.

What will the new renderer mean exactly on the PC? Have planned features like full party control been taken off the table? What comes next?

Would be nice to just read this stuff from Trello since it exists.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Have planned features like full party control been taken off the table?

AFAIK it was never on the table. On the other hand what is/was is improved ai.

TR
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Caomh wrote: »

Hi I am a customer. I like a lot of other customers work hard for our money. Then we have things such as bills, food, and with some that which is left over we spend on games. Some have larger budgets than others and can only choose a few games.

It is really awesome for when we do spend money it is for a great community where the staff hires others to keep us engaged and interact saying what we want. It makes us feel good that we are listened to (and helps you sell more product).

Here is the thing, if it was not an issue people wouldn't be talking about it. You know that and I know that. It is dismissive to answer with I'm aware. If it was being actively dealt with and frequent updates there would not be conversation about it. Many people have posted the we will do it when we feel like it and found that is when their customers choose a different company to spend their money on. I still remember Bioware's community rep saying, "Patches are a privilege."

It would definitely go a long way if they kept the Trello Board up to date and responded to Ask Beamdog monthly. It's unwise to set expectations and not follow through.
    Have planned features like full party control been taken off the table?

AFAIK it was never on the table. On the other hand what is/was is improved ai.

TR

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71679/the-full-control-of-ai-party-summons-henchman-companions-and-familiars-card-discussion/p1
    Maybe but that thread is completely at odds with what @TrentOster said on the live streams. It is/was not part of his vision for NwN. From what he said on those, an update to the standard ai was all that was planned.

TR
    Maybe but that thread is completely at odds with what @TrentOster said on the live streams. It is/was not part of his vision for NwN. From what he said on those, an update to the standard ai was all that was planned.

TR

Probably Trello card came later and Trent can extend his vision a bit if players want something really badly.

But this is exactly the reason why we are asking for news and Trello updates. Because we don't know.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    People wanted a lot of things on Trello and are getting barely any of it. Some of those things Beamdog was even on board with and enthusiastic about. Then when they do add something it's like racialtypes.2da which has stuff almost nobody asked for but doesn't even have basic CreatureType mapping that you need to implement actual races and have them work properly for D&D rules. This was brought to their attention about 20 months ago and when they finally updated racialtypes.2da it wasn't with anything that makes it actually useful to add D&D functional races. This isn't a bug this is an implementation issue, i.e. creating working D&D races apparently wasn't the intended implementation.

To break it down imagine you add a new variant elf race. Scripts do not detect it as an elf, ranger's favored enemy doesn't know what it is but it's not an elf, targeted effects (slaying weapons) do not work, vs race (elf) bonuses do not apply, item race restrictions do not recognize it as an elf. Likewise if you implement ogres or hill giants as a playable race NWN will not recognize them as giants. Now you need to rip out the games combat systems and rewrite it yourself, great.

I use this as the example because it's such a basic thing that it's almost impossible to get it wrong and anyone that cared about implementing it properly would have done so.

So no they are not listening. They are completely out of touch and they are not paying attention to even basic issues that people are testing and pointing out for them. Instead they are working on pet projects with obscure use cases and apparently have no quality assurance. It would be different if they come clean and say they're underfunded and paying staff in "work experience" because the other option is that they're completely out of touch.

It's a new year though so please feel free to surprise us all with a change for the better.
    Prince_Raymond
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited February 2021
    Well, I am certainly hopeful that with this new year comes new things that will bring about a change for the better. I patched my NWN Classic game with a copy of Critical Rebuild 1.6H8 just to see the date stamp of nwmain.exe. It showed that the file had been created/modified August 4, 2006 at 6:45 PM. To my surprise, I realized that the attack bonus miscalculation bug had been in NWN longer than I thought. This illegitimate spawn of Satan has been laughing in my face for a little over 13 years now. Come this August, it will be an even 14. Still, I am hopeful that @Beamdog will eventually correct this, whether it be a bug or an implementation issue. I am also hopeful that, someday, I will play a Weapon Master with Unarmed Strike as his weapon of choice. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
  • PaddyMaxsonPaddyMaxson Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2020
    Oof, 7 months since I started this thread.

Edit: Absolutely don't want to slag the devs off. The original stated scope was NWN1 but it works on a modern PC with a couple of small improvements, but those of us here for NWN nostalgia sort of imagined what might have been and lots of blog posts suggested that maybe it was going that way and an android port in place of say customisable UI feels like a kick in the bawbag (I mean, some of the android port changes haven't even been backported to PC)
    Seems that @Symphony has been busy updating the Trello boards (hint register to get email notifications of what and where at the time they occur). Look at the implemented section.

TR
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142
    Seems that @Symphony has been busy updating the Trello boards (hint register to get email notifications of what and where at the time they occur). Look at the implemented section.

TR

I was looking at it for something else. Most of the topics were somewhat vaguely titled, intentionally, many of them being mine, but those that were inarguably already implemented I dragged and dropped over to the end category I made several years ago, for features rolled out in patches unrelated to the main Trello.

No ceremony.
    dunahan