Underappreciated weapons and armor in games

2»

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    To combine both our posts, the gun shield
    latest?cb=20180920001529
    KamigoroshiSkatanProont
    What I always feel is missing is those in between weapons and armor, from times before things were completely figured out. An example is that revolver from a couple posts back with multiple barrels. Later hand guns would use a multi chamber cylinder with a single barrel, but for it's time the multi-barrel revolver was pretty innovative in the 16th century. Those gun shields and swords were a thing before they realized you could aim a lot better on a dedicated piece of hardware. The 2 handed falx is kind of another example. It was like a 2 handed sword, but in the bronze age you couldn't make a blade that long, so they mounted a blade on a long wooden handle. Ball and powder revolvers don't see much love, either. They were sweet for their time, you could fire off 5 or 6 shots without reloading, but it took like 3 minutes to reload one. I really dug that part in the book version of The Man In The High Castle, where Tagomi blows away some Nazi assassins in the Japanese embassy with an old revolver and spends a few minutes reloading it. Before cartridged ammunition, a ball and powder revolver was awesome.
    SkatanProont
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Think this apparatus oddity here should feel right at home in this thread:
    pratt-helmet-gun2.jpg
    pratt-helmet-gun.jpg

Enter Albert Bacon Pratt helmet gun: because helmets not only can protect from critical hits, but also cause them on others!
    SkatanProontThacoBell
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @Kamigoroshi
    I can see the movie title now, "honey, how I got a broken neck."
    KamigoroshiDrHappyAngryProontArdanis
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    And short bows? The Mongolian double recurve had greater range and stopping power than the Welsh long bow, but was small enough to fire from horse back. It was just that much more efficient with the extra curves at the ends and being made out of composite layers of different materials to produce a super springy bow. The only issue being they were only good for a few months before they rotted.

Well, in Baldur's Gate 2, the Tuigan Bow is better than most longbows. I don't think Mongol shortbows are underappreciated in that game.
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    And short bows? The Mongolian double recurve had greater range and stopping power than the Welsh long bow, but was small enough to fire from horse back. It was just that much more efficient with the extra curves at the ends and being made out of composite layers of different materials to produce a super springy bow. The only issue being they were only good for a few months before they rotted.

Well, in Baldur's Gate 2, the Tuigan Bow is better than most longbows. I don't think Mongol shortbows are underappreciated in that game.

Definitely the exception and they weren't nearly as good as longbows in the first one. It is really strange that they shafted longbows so hard in the second game, especially since they introduced the archer kit in bg2.

So why aren't cod pieces a thing in any games? Black Adder used one to terrify the clergy in the first season ;)
    Skatan
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    @Kamigoroshi Gives a new meaning to "I have a new head-cannon" doesn't it?
    For the whole Longbow thing, I suspect Beamdog didn't realize just how good additional APR was, and how debilitating not having +3 arrows for the Longbow was (though it's overstated a little bit.)
    I'd love to see a game use whips and staffs more: less trying to kill your opponent, and more disable and disarm. Indiana Jones style!
    SkatanProontThacoBell
    Neverused wrote: »
    For the whole Longbow thing, I suspect Beamdog didn't realize just how good additional APR was, and how debilitating not having +3 arrows for the Longbow was (though it's overstated a little bit.)
    I'd love to see a game use whips and staffs more: less trying to kill your opponent, and more disable and disarm. Indiana Jones style!

NWN did have whips, but they weren't really at all useful. Staves do actually see some decent love, I did a staff wielding monk/2 handed fighter run in Kingmaker and have done similar runs of NWN2. One of my favorite runs through the whole BG series was a kensai 13->Rogue that used a staff, and there's great staves the whole way through the series. Still, Dark Messiah: Might and Magic had the most awesome staff since you could really knock people all over the place with it. Really the only game that had that aspect of a staff in it.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Neverused wrote: »

NWN did have whips, but they weren't really at all useful. Staves do actually see some decent love, I did a staff wielding monk/2 handed fighter run in Kingmaker and have done similar runs of NWN2. One of my favorite runs through the whole BG series was a kensai 13->Rogue that used a staff, and there's great staves the whole way through the series. Still, Dark Messiah: Might and Magic had the most awesome staff since you could really knock people all over the place with it. Really the only game that had that aspect of a staff in it.

To be fair, NWN and even more so. NWN2 did make rapiers interesting with the higher CH potential. You really had to make a choice between to hit and damage with that particular weapon choosing between dexterity and strength builds. I found that to be an interesting dilemma myself...
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I still have a soft spot for my rapier wielding Bard/Swashbuckler.