Skip to content

Problems with Prism

I'm playing BGEE with the 2.5 patch and a hefty stack of mods through BWS on Steam/PC and I've encountered a bug with Prism. I've killed Greywolf but now prism won't talk to me (when a try to talk to him he says 'soon my work will be done' but doesn't initiate dialogue so I can't get ellesime/the option to take or leave the emeralds.

I suspect this is probably an incompatibility between two mods or a mod and 2.5 and I've got so many in this install that I don't think it's worth trying to diagnose, but I'm just wondering if there's a way (e.g. clua console) that I can force initiate that final Prism dialogue and complete the quest.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yes, this should be because of the mods incompatibility (as the quest is working fine in the unmodded version, have tried myself). The way to solve it would be to open your save with NearInfinity, find the variable and change it.
  • CLT113078CLT113078 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry this is old, but I just came across this. I know nothing about NearInfinity or how you can use it to fix the problem so achievement will pop? Any feedback or how tos?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what is the exact problem you are having?
    JuliusBorisov
    I talk to prism, agree to protect him, greywolf comes up, I kill grey wolf, I'm unable to select prism to talk to him.
    do you have any mods with your game?
    Yes. Most likely I have to uninstall them and hope my saved games arent corrupt. I did some of the base ones recommended here. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60317/bgee-recommended-mod-list-for-new-players

Not sure which is causing issues. Perhaps the new/more conversations because I also seem to have deals where npcs say wrong conversation threads and/or answer strange when talking to them.
    CLT113078 wrote: »
    Yes. Most likely I have to uninstall them and hope my saved games arent corrupt. I did some of the base ones recommended here. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60317/bgee-recommended-mod-list-for-new-players

Not sure which is causing issues. Perhaps the new/more conversations because I also seem to have deals where npcs say wrong conversation threads and/or answer strange when talking to them.

ah that could be it, your dialogue.tlk file might be messed up, and probably the reason why you can talk to prism is because he has no "dialogue" to start the conversation with
    JuliusBorisov
    Unfortunately I have no idea how to clear that up.
    edited January 2020
    try typing this in the cheat console and see what it does;

C:SetGlobal("prism_work_is_complete","GLOBAL",1)

if that doesnt work or make things happen, then i have an idea;

im going to give you a copy of the original dialogue.tlk file ( you will have to put this file where your .tlk file is now, but make sure to make a back up of the .tlk file you have, so you can replace it afterwards )

so with that being said, take my .tlk file, replace it with the one you have, then hopefully you should be able to finish the quest, once the quest is complete then replace my .tlk file with your original one ( because no doubt that one is updated for your mods )

also keep my original .tlk file around just incase if you come to other broken quests and perhaps you can do the switch a roo again to finish them if need be

your .tlk file will be located in the: en-US folder

for example if you are running this on steam it can be found here;

Local Disk C ( or whatever hard drive you have it installed on ) / Program Files (x86) *if installed on C drive / Steam / steamapps / common / Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition / lang / en_US

and it should be right there
    JuliusBorisov
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Or, you could just offer him an "assisted suicide"... My last BG1 run had this problem, and I needed him to keel over so I could take Isra as a companion. An, ah, misplaced magic missile took care of the issue neatly.

While not terribly realistic, it did fix the logjam - though he will have the emeralds on his body and the eye containers won't be present. However, it doesn't affect your ability to finish the quest, should you be silly enough to actually give the emeralds back to the bounty hunter.

Of course, most parties will find Prism when they are desperately in need of gold, so I normally have my party "borrow" them until they have enough gold to buy them back and finish that quest.
  • LoReN_LKLoReN_LK Member Posts: 20
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    try typing this in the cheat console and see what it does;

C:SetGlobal("prism_work_is_complete","GLOBAL",1)

Well, I tried adding it through the console, but still... Nothing. Prism just stands there, without anything but a simple "soon my work will be done". I've read at the beggining of this thread that I could use NearInfinitty to change it, but since I'm new to the NearInfinity, so I don't know how to properly use it without much hassle.

I really would appreciate any help!
  • sonikufouriasonikufouria Member Posts: 1
    I just experienced this problem with Prism. I think it is due to the fact that I installed the Chatty Imoen mod. It's the only mod that I installed.

I use steam, checked my installation, and found that I needed another mod to help run Chatty Imoen. I installed that, and the error still occurred.

So, at this point, I tried that NearInfinity and did not think it was worth the time to go hunt down the variable to go change this Prism quest to correct, so right now I'm in the middle of uninstalling my Siege of Dragonspear and starting over from scratch.

30 minutes later, I did see an error in Steam that said the dialog.tlk file had errors in it. So I guess I could have replaced that file but I just completed my fresh reinstall and I'm just going to skip this really annoying mod.

Oh well, I want to, at the very least, run that one mod that fixed alot of talking in the game BG1UP or something, but then I checked in that folder and found that it has a fix for Prism, so now I wonder if it's even worth the hassle of screwing with this all over again.

Boy modding it time consuming haha.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @sonikufouria You shouldn't need another mod to run chatty Imoen. I run it myself. I also have never had this prism problem. But it does sound like the script isn't firing properly. Mods would be the first suspicion, but you aren't running many.

On this last install of chatty Imoen, was it on a clean install? Just uninstalling and re-installing mods doesn't always work. They can still leave stuff behind to mess something up. You also never want to install mods to a game in progress. It will royally screw up dialogue and whatnot in that run. BG modding definitely has some hoops to jump through, but once you get the hang of it, its much faster to set up that modded install you want.