Skip to content

The Obsidian Legend, a story module

SnottlingSnottling Member Posts: 85
edited January 2020 in NWN:EE Modules
"This is a call for brave souls who will be greatly awarded should they be willing to aid in averting the impending doom of the free people of Mistledale."
- High Councilar Heresk Malorn of Ashabenford

In the idyllic town of Ashabenford in rural Mistledale, fear is spreading amongst the townsfolk, fear of the return of an ancient enemy, long thought extinct.
You find yourself embarking on a perilous quest, a journey of understanding why this is happening again and learning how and if this looming doom can be avoided at all.

I'm nearing the final steps of creating this adventure, which is based on a novel I wrote some years ago. I hope to release it on the NeverwinterVault and on Steam workshop.

65uxyp1bxhbs.jpg
Post edited by Snottling on
JuliusBorisovDerpCitySylvus_MoonbowIseweinGusindaLudwig_IIKerick45sarevok57StummvonBordwehrAedanGerardosEekanImp

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Yay I love myself some Dalelands adventures ! Cant wait !
    Snottling
  • SnottlingSnottling Member Posts: 85
    A little update for those interested.

Testing has started, with multi player support getting some extra love. Yes, you can play it with you friends. I always thought that playing with real people, as opposed to AI henchmen, is much more enjoyable and fun. But maybe I'm just an old school Pen & Paper guy.

However, that doesn't mean that single player isn't enjoyable. There are henchmen with lots of party banter going on in the module. Furthermore, Forgotten Realms lore are plentiful and focus is on storytelling.

If nothing unexpected occurs, it will be on Steam Worshop and the Vault in January 2020.

Happy New Year to all of you!
    DerpCityIsewein
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Hi, @ArthasII .

Yes, there are Evil choices, you can play a turncoat sort of Evil, but the nature of the plot caters more to Neutral and Good characters.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    No, I haven't got a clue. Sorry. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • GerardosGerardos Member Posts: 3
    Brilliant module with immersive story-line and challenging content. High replayability too with different classes or in multiplayer. Great original content interwoven with FR lore and locations.
    SnottlingStummvonBordwehr
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    Nice, friend @Snottling! I look forward to giving this module a spin! Thank you for contributing to the community, and keeping our beloved Neverwinter Nights alive!
    Snottling
    edited January 2020
    Here are the release info:

The Obsidian Legend by Snottling

In the idyllic town of Ashabenford in rural Mistledale, fear is spreading amongst the townsfolk, fear of the return of an ancient enemy, long thought extinct.
    You find yourself embarking on a perilous quest, a journey of understanding why this is happening again and learning how and if this looming doom can be avoided at all.

Play time: 6 hours +

Singleplayer with 3 henchmen, or
    Multiplayer: 1-4 players (optional henchmen)

Type: Story module, rich with Forgotten Realms lore.

NOTE: CEP 2.4 or greater is required.

CREDITS:
    Medieval rural tileset by Zwerkules.
    Wild Woods, Deep Dungeon and Dwarven Chasms by Sixes Thrice.
    Scripts by The Z.

And finally, a special thanks to Rob/Gerardos, Khuzadrepa and Walker for play testing.

Post edited by Snottling on
    GusindaStummvonBordwehr
    The Obsidian Legend is here.

This is my first attempt at a story module, so bear with me. ;) But seriously, it's been so much fun creating this adventure.

Anyway, hope you like it!

- Snottling

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1956993271

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/obsidian-legend-story-module-snottling
    megamike15IseweinGusindaJFK
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    I am trying to start this mod via steam but I am not seeing the mod when I select New->Other Modules.
    edited January 2020
    Hey Calgacus!

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I just tried myself via Steam and it works for me. Workshop content has been wonky sometimes. My best suggestion is to un-subscribe, then subscribe again.

Hope it helps.
    Ok, I got it to work off the vault and using the beamdog client. Will play some this weekend.
    Snottling
    Great stuff, Calgacus!
    Well, over 90 downloads between Steam and the Vault. That's past anything I've imagined!
    [Deleted User]megamike15
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i under stand this is your first module and it being linear is to be expected. but i'm really not a fan of only haveing 1 talk option. it makes alot of the conversations boring.
    Yes, that was something I was aware of. Next time, I'll better myself. :smile:
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    sorry to say i dropped it. the one dialogue thing bothered me and i was not a big fan of the way maps were designed. like i said i understand this was your first module but i was just not feeling it.
    It's cool. Each to his own. :)
  • ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112
    Does the key to the dwarven halls actually exist?
    Hey Zwerkules!
    It does indeed. It's just a matter of walking over a certain trigger once you have the journal update, that is when you have reached the locked door and heard Anabar's whisper. Let me know if you want a hint. :)
    @Snottling On my mac I have both Steam and the Beamdog client with NWN:EE installed. With this setup it seems that the *.ini files are for the beamdog client and so I need to copy all steam workshop content to the same folders that the game uses when started from the beamdog client ie ~/Documents/Neverwinter Nights/hak, etc. This way the mod shows up and is playable.
    Snottling
    Good to know. Also, glad you got it sorted.
    Just finished the mod, a couple of notes.
    After killing the last Obsidian boss I then turned on my employer and stole the staff. Then I click on the throne and it gives me what seems like a game ending shpeal about being the new king but the mod does not close. So I go back through the portal and fight the house guards and crew. But a couple of things there seem immune - probably still plot marked I guess such as the Rod and at least one high ranking character whose name i forget. So thats where it ends for me, I'm guessing I played past the point at which the game was meant to end.
    When I first met the Obsidian King Guards at the door at the north end of an indoor area (forget the name but it was close to the kings area) After killing them I stuck around in that area for a while and I noticed those guards kept respawning in so I collected a bunch of +3 Axes (hand and waraxes) as loot off them.

Nice first mod, simple but playable and free of any game stopping bugs.
    Snottling
    Thank you for your feedback, Calgacus. Most appreciated!
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited November 2020
    I am not through with the mod yet, but i've enjoyed all that i've done so far. The opening was solid, nice and slow, not throwing too much at you at once. I enjoyed the DM commentary at certain points in the story, nice touch and very appropriate. An excellent first job, I would say.

A few typos here and there, it could do with more challenge for 12th level, and be of higher stakes in general, but overall, pretty solid.
    Post edited by WarChiefZeke on
    StummvonBordwehr