Skip to content

Are there any weapons in BG2EE that hit Kangaxx that probably shouldn’t?

I remember the Kneecapper (+1/+4 vs giantess) being able to hit Kangaax years ago, but I’m not sure if this has been fixed.

Any other weapons similar to this, and do they hit?

TIA
iosfrustration

Comments

• KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Does the kneecapper still hit kangaax?
    iosfrustration
    Can Daystar hit Kangaxx?
    iosfrustration
    Thanks @Grond0
    JuliusBorisov
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    I can't verify it, but I think that Daystar didn't work in the old game; it was coded as a +2 weapon with bonuses to hit and damage against evil and undead foes. The EE update added support for actual variable enchantment levels, so now Daystar can hit a demilich but not an Iron Golem.

Now, there's one notable weapon that didn't get updated: the Mace of Disruption and its improved version. It says in the description that it hits at the higher value against all enemies, and that's still true. On the other hand, summoned Devas wield a non-droppable clone of the IMOD - and that version always hits at its lower +2 value. Oops.

Another weapon that can really lay the hurt on Kangaxx: a Sun Soul Monk's fists at level 25 or higher, with Flaming Fists active. 2d6 fire, applied four times per round. Add in a 5d8+6 Sun Soulray each round, and he'll go down in no time. It might even beat out Daystar's damage potential... until you apply an Improved Haste to the sword-using warrior.
    sarevok57iosfrustration
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited January 2020
    Honestly,Gibberlings 3 BG2Fixpack and the Tweaks Anthology handle this better than either classic or EE's implementation, making +x/+y items consistent across the board (the higher +y determines what the weapon can hit). iirc this is also in compliance with tabletop 2nd edition rules.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    Daystar definitely didn't work in the old one. I remember struggling on this battle for thirty minutes at least trying so many types.
    gorgonzolaiosfrustration
    It looks like there’s some confusion.

I’m playing EE on my iPad so I can’t edit my game. If anybody can find out just LMK. Thanks!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Klorox wrote: »

I’m playing EE on my iPad so I can’t edit my game. If anybody can find out just LMK. Thanks!

based on NI kneecapper hits as a +1 weapon, unless the creature is a GIANTHUMANOID then it will strike them as a +4 weapon

so unless kangaxx transforms into an ogre, he is not going to be affected by the hammer in demilich form
    KloroxThacoBell
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    Klorox wrote: »

based on NI kneecapper hits as a +1 weapon, unless the creature is a GIANTHUMANOID then it will strike them as a +4 weapon

so unless kangaxx transforms into an ogre, he is not going to be affected by the hammer in demilich form
    Thank you. I only ask because, although it was a bug, the kneecapper used to work. This is long before EE.
    iosfrustration
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I asked a similar question about the 'Burning Earth' longsword. There were some very insightful comments from people who have looked under the hood.
    Grond0sarevok57StummvonBordwehriosfrustration
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Area effect projectiles also bypass weapon immunities, as long as the initial target is vulnerable. Flashers, Fire Seeds, Arrows of Detonation if available, the Scorcher Ammunition, and the Frag Grenades will hit everything in range as long as they make contact with their first target, like an ally with poor AC. Fire Seeds won't be much good against Kangaxx, though, since the fire damage is a level 6 effect that won't get past his spell level immunities. Melf's Minute Meteors also strike as +6 weapons unless you have SCS, which nerfs them to +2.
    Grond0StummvonBordwehrThacoBelliosfrustration
  • ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    I asked a similar question about the 'Burning Earth' longsword. There were some very insightful comments from people who have looked under the hood.

Burning Earth does work. Someone told me that the avengers sword spider form works too but I’ve never tested
    iosfrustration