Multiplayer ever coming to consoles?

2»

Comments

• MatrickMatrick Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2019
    a
    Post edited by Matrick on
  • YodaGamingYodaGaming Member Posts: 1
    Hey I’ve been really enjoying the game on console but when are we getting multiplayer? You’re releasing an old game for top dollar without the feature it had on PC years ago. Online co-op was the only reason my friends and I bought the game, the least we could get is an answer as to whether or not you plan to add multiplayer to the console version so I can let the rest of my friends know if they should even bother. Playing dnd alone gets old pretty fast
    Roudinesco
  • RoudinescoRoudinesco Member Posts: 4
    YodaGaming wrote: »
    Hey I’ve been really enjoying the game on console but when are we getting multiplayer? You’re releasing an old game for top dollar without the feature it had on PC years ago. Online co-op was the only reason my friends and I bought the game, the least we could get is an answer as to whether or not you plan to add multiplayer to the console version so I can let the rest of my friends know if they should even bother. Playing dnd alone gets old pretty fast

Same here
  • therealtoritherealtori Member Posts: 1
    I'm really disappointed with the lack of multiplayer. That's a hard no for me. I'll find my couch co-op fix elsewhere (Divinity looks good...) :) Also, while you haven't advertised the multiplayer "officially" there is enough old news out there that there is clearly some confusion (especially as of today when I was researching the title). I was about to instabuy BG but thankfully saw the "Single Player" tag on Xbox and did some due diligence before I laid out the money. I'll vote with my wallet. :)

Planescape Torment is another issue, it was always SP and I intend to enjoy that wholeheartedly.
  • AstoraAstora Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2019
    It's not the first game that released first on PC, then on consoles with less features and sometimes more expensive. You know why? Because people keep buying them.

When I saw this game had no co-op on Xbox, I didn't buy it and I will never buy it unless they add coop. It's simple: with less features it should be cheaper.

This is absurdly expensive here in Brazil. You have no idea.

I'm disappointed with beamdog. Been following their twitter account for months and they never said this wouldn't have co-op.

This is an RPG, which makes it great to play with friends. Baldurs gate, back in the day when it released, was awesome in co-op. And divinity original sin proved once more rpgs are great with friends.
    GaelicVigilNorman_the_BiterRaduziel
  • AstoraAstora Member Posts: 3
    And let's talk about pricing here in Brazil. If I go now to steam, I can buy the infinity collection for 202 reais (about 50 dollars). But if I buy the same games on Xbox I have to buy two packages (Bg bundle and icewind/planescape bundle) and that would cost me 370 reais. And with no co-op at all
    Norman_the_Biter
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2019
    Astora wrote: »
    And let's talk about pricing here in Brazil. If I go now to steam, I can buy the infinity collection for 202 reais (about 50 dollars). But if I buy the same games on Xbox I have to buy two packages (Bg bundle and icewind/planescape bundle) and that would cost me 370 reais. And with no co-op at all

Just to put in perspective: Brazil's minimum wage is R$ 998/month (fellow Brazilian here).

StummvonBordwehr
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    edited November 2019
    How hard would it be to build in couch co-op by mapping a second controller to a party group, even if the secondary player had to stay on the same screen as the leader-controlling player?
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    How hard would it be to build in couch co-op by mapping a second controller to a party group, even if the secondary player had to stay on the same screen as the leader-controlling player?

That would be much harder than implementing the already existing frameworks for multiplayer. That's a lot of custom code, probably new UI elements and tons of logistics to figure out (what menu does player 2 use for their abilities? Can both players pause and toggle through all the characters?).
    StummvonBordwehr
  • ShankstaBytesShankstaBytes Member Posts: 18
    Should at least be able to make it so I can play online. I understand a co-op option would be a lot of work, but not online multi-player.
    edited November 2019

That would be much harder than implementing the already existing frameworks for multiplayer. That's a lot of custom code, probably new UI elements and tons of logistics to figure out (what menu does player 2 use for their abilities? Can both players pause and toggle through all the characters?).

All I'm asking for is controller 2 to have the same functionality as controller 1, and the ability to assign character groups to it.

Inventory, menus, save screen, pausing, etc for controller 2 would all work identically to controller 1. I can't imagine this would that difficult. No custom code would be necessary.

All I'm asking for is controller 2 to have the same functionality as controller 1, and the ability to assign character groups to it.

Inventory, menus, save screen, pausing, etc for controller 2 would all work identically to controller 1. I can't imagine this would that difficult. No custom code would be necessary.

It wouldn't take any effort at all to just mirror all inputs to another controller, though could be a bit confusing and would be seen as a lackluster co-op implementation. Two players could fight for control over the entire game, sure. ("Wait don't pause the game, I just paused it! Now it's unpaused and we're dying!!" "Stop moving the cursor, I'm trying to move it over here!")

I don't understand what you mean about mapping a party group to it, though. Like...when player one moves the left joystick, three party members move around, but when player two moves their left joystick, the currently selected group changes and the camera zooms over to them and their three party members move around? What happens when both players are trying to move at once? What if one player brings up their menu to cast a spell and then the other player presses the button to bring up their menu too, does it take control from player one? Sounds like a confusing nightmare unless coded as actual co-op with two cursors on screen and two sets of UI controls.
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited November 2019

It wouldn't take any effort at all to just mirror all inputs to another controller, though could be a bit confusing and would be seen as a lackluster co-op implementation. Two players could fight for control over the entire game, sure. ("Wait don't pause the game, I just paused it! Now it's unpaused and we're dying!!" "Stop moving the cursor, I'm trying to move it over here!")

I don't understand what you mean about mapping a party group to it, though. Like...when player one moves the left joystick, three party members move around, but when player two moves their left joystick, the currently selected group changes and the camera zooms over to them and their three party members move around? What happens when both players are trying to move at once? What if one player brings up their menu to cast a spell and then the other player presses the button to bring up their menu too, does it take control from player one? Sounds like a confusing nightmare unless coded as actual co-op with two cursors on screen and two sets of UI controls.

No, the camera would always follow the leader. Player 2 would have to keep his group in the same screen as player 1. Obviously, you'd want to keep the camera zoomed out enough for both players to remain visible.

If player 1 brought up the inventory, or the journal, or the spell book, player 2 could kindly wait until player 1 was finished. You know, that old fashioned thing called "patience".

Console coop RPGs have worked like this for years. Sacred 2, Marvel Heroes, Lego Star Wars, etc.
    edited November 2019
    All of that requires custom code, extensive playtesting and bugfixes, and is also a bit more beyond the scope of what Baldur's Gate on console was ever intended to be. It's not something that's easy and quick to release.

If they were to do something like that they'd probably want to do it right with individual UI/control for each player, maybe even horizontal/vertical splitscreen, and design a new dungeon intended to be played in co-op that way, and sell it for $10. They would need to be able to sell it for some amount in order to fund the extra development time.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • suckagesuckage Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2020
    I love how multiple sites still claim this game is multiplayer.

From the publishers own website.

https://www.skybound.com/games/beamdog/baldurs-planescape-neverwinter-console-release
    Tailored for a natural gameplay experience on consoles, these enhanced editions give longtime fans and newcomers alike the opportunity to play these critically acclaimed adventures from a golden age of RPGs in a whole new way. Beamdog has upgraded all of the above titles with native support for high-resolution widescreen displays, controls optimized for console controllers, new standalone content, new characters and classes, new voice sets, expanded character creation options, improved multiplayer functionality, redesigns of the UI and UX, bug fixes, balance changes and more. For complete breakdowns of the content available with each title, visit: https://www.skybound.com/dnd-enhanced-editions

I guess not existing is an improvement compared to Neera or a piece of elephant hide crashing my console. Enhanced edition, indeed.
  • suckagesuckage Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2020
    NWN:EE will come with MP. @GaelicVigil You're welcome to decide as you wish. We didn't advertise MP for IE EEs on console. $50 USD is less than BG1+SoD+BG2 cost on GOG/Steam/Beamdog.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @GaelicVigil: That's posted on a different company's website--Beamdog does not own Skybound.

I've never heard of Skybound, but I don't know why that company would promise something for a game that Beamdog is adapting. It's unfortunate that people have been misinformed, but if Skybound is issuing misinformation about a Beamdog project, I think the blame lies with Skybound... though I'm guessing Skybound wasn't intentionally misleading people, and this was a communication error because someone at Skybound didn't realize MP functionality wasn't going to be available for every platform.

Beamdog doesn't exactly control what other companies say. All they can control is what their own website says.

Isn’t Skybound the Publisher for the console editions? I find it odd that the publishers website said the game has multiplayer, while nobody at Beamdog did anything to correct them.

I find it completely insane that the publishers site still says all of the console edition EE’s have “improved multiplayer functionality.”
    Post edited by suckage on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    What you're linking to is the announcement of the games coming to console (from early 2019). The announcement in that part is a description of the work Beamdog had done with the EEs, it's not a list of features for the console.

During the console development, it became obvious the challenges of adding MP to the console version were big.
  • GemmenzwergGemmenzwerg Member Posts: 1
    What you're linking to is the announcement of the games coming to console (from early 2019). The announcement in that part is a description of the work Beamdog had done with the EEs, it's not a list of features for the console.

During the console development, it became obvious the challenges of adding MP to the console version were big.

Announcement or not, it should be taken down. You are still misleading consumers. It's not about the game or your work, it's about cashing in on unwitting customers. Or you would have taken down the announcement page, right? Why would you need an announcement page when the product is released???
  • pretend_i_won2pretend_i_won2 Member Posts: 2
    Baldurs Gate was my very first intro to anything dnd, and I miss it. Mainly the wonderful time my (now) husband and I had playing it together, but I'm also super sad to not be able to replay it with my teenage sons. Please fix this. There are so few good multiplayer games out there besides racing and mario-style. I see no point to buying the game otherwise...for single player only, might as well just still with Sword Coast Legends.
  • pretend_i_won2pretend_i_won2 Member Posts: 2
    Baldurs Gate was my very first intro to anything dnd, and I miss it. Mainly the wonderful time my (now) husband and I had playing it together, but I'm also super sad to not be able to replay it with my teenage sons. Please fix this. There are so few good multiplayer games out there besides racing and mario-style. I see no point to buying the game otherwise...for single player only, might as well just still with Sword Coast Legends.

Apparently I MEANT "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance," not Baldur's Gate (Hubby corrected me). I retract my former complaint and instead beg a rerelease of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and its sequel. I JUST WANT TO PLAY CO-OP ON THE SAME CONSOLE. /cry
    WarmNova
  • WarmNovaWarmNova Member Posts: 1

Apparently I MEANT "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance," not Baldur's Gate (Hubby corrected me). I retract my former complaint and instead beg a rerelease of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and its sequel. I JUST WANT TO PLAY CO-OP ON THE SAME CONSOLE. /cry

I Agree. My First Game Was 'Dark Alliance' and I Played Through It With My Father Years Ago. My Mother Bought Us 'Dark Alliance II' Which We Also Completed Rather Quickly. It's His 61st Birthday Today and I Picked Up EE In Hopes Of Another Multiplayer. A Dark Alliance Remake On The Nintendo Switch Would Be Very Nice.
  • TchadlumTchadlum Member Posts: 5
    I don't have an answer to this, unfortunately.

We wanted to prioritize making the 1st player experience the best it could be. Exploring multiplayer for the IE games on console is still something we're interested in, but the challenges have been significant.

I just bought enhanced edition for Xbox and its better than I remembered it as a child. (Now that I understand the mechanics) l Would love to see a console multiplayer co-op option for this game where you can import characters. I’ve played elder scrolls online since launch and come across many people who would happily re-live their baldurs gate days, if it were multiplayer. Still to this day the bg2 series is arguable the best game of its kind.

P.s. As a child I use to make my characters fight each other which gave me and idea for an expansion pack. A pvp arena that allows 1v1- 6v6 fights.
  • darrenkitlordarrenkitlor Member Posts: 3
    I'm still buying all three. I own the iPad versions, the Android versions, the PC versions, the Mac versions -- and now an Xbox version over the many years since these were first ported.

Would be super cool to add co-op, even if it's couch co-cop. My kid and I love playing Dungeon Crawl Classics and throwbacks like this are fun.