Skip to content

NPC mods

Are ther any npcs from mods that would be (almost) indiscernible from original Bioware npc? So no new enermous content and quest centered on npc, no huge amount of dialogues with charname but dialogues with other companions...
In the case of BG1 I take as the "norm" official npcs as they are enhanced by NPC Project.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I thought that Drake fits perfectly among BG1 npcs.
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    DJKajuru wrote: »
    I thought that Drake fits perfectly among BG1 npcs.

I agree but with two caveats. I found his audio volume to be off a lot of the time, erring towards being too loud, which is a bit jarring. I also think his personal quest and rewards from it goes well beyond native NPCs but it is in the ballpark of NPC project. I still really enjoyed it overall.

I would also recommend White as fitting the OP's parameters. The voice acting is not up to professional standard but it is a player mod of course so no worry.

Vynd is really good too and funny, but still within the bounds of an original NPC enhanced by NPC project.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited February 2020
    The voice acting is not up to professional standard but it is a player mod of course so no worry.
    i fail to get it.
    if i, that am not a native english speaker, would try to give my voice to a npc it surely would be odd.
    but all the npcs but the bard ones are supposed to be common people, and to talkb as common people do, not like shakespeare actors do.
    so a common npc voiced by a common person and not a professional voice actor seems to me quite natural, what i find odd is how irenicus is voiced, he is a mage, not a bard or an actor, why should he speak like an actor acting in a shakespeare piece?
    i am perfectly aware that the voice actor that gave irenicus his voice did a fantastic job, don't get me wrong, but still i find the way he speak odd, while it would have been very appropriate for haer dalis.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    An educated person with a flair for drama. That's my explanation. Irenicus simply enjoys feeling superior. He uses his mannerisms and speech to this affect.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    david warner is also a theater actor.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited February 2020
    I think the reason he sounds that way is largely because David Warner has an English accent. For whatever reason, English accents make people sound more fancy, intelligent, sophisticated, and in some cases more dramatic or "Shakespearean." It's not just the speech pattern but the accent that makes Irenicus seem more dramatic and imposing.
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited February 2020
    @semiticgod as a not native english speaker that studied english in middle and high school, but in high school had a very bad teacher, so i did learn the little i know afterwards, traveling in europe and asia, and talking mainly with other not native speakers or indians, that have their own very peculiar accent, i probably react to the british accent in a different way of an american english native speaker.
    if there is a british accent at all, to my ears to hear talking with the oxford accent, in cockney or hearing a scottish guy sound very different. while i probably would hear a difference between your texan accent, the one of the west coast or the one of a new yorker, i probably could guess roughly from which part of usa a man come listening him talk, but i find the difference of accent in great britain way more pronunciate.

i post this as i think that a view "from outside", like mine, can be interesting.
    and by the way i learned on those forums that in english the dwarfs are dubbed with a scottish accent, like you may like to know that in the english movies dubbed in italian the people that in the original version had an italian english accent are dubbed with a south italy accent, normally the ones of naples or sicily (that are not similar at all).

now my impression from outside listening to irenicus is way more to hear a theater actor acting on the stage then hearing an english man talking to americans.
    and i admit that @shabadoo 's reason for it can be a good one, he is an educated
    elf
    among the very restricted elite of that people, and he surely has a flair for drama.

anyway my original point was not much that he should not speak like that, but that for most npcs to talk in a very normal and common way, being dubbed by normal people and not professional voice actors, seems appropriate. they are normal people, at least in the way they are supposed to talk (maybe keldorn, anomen and nalia should be exceptions coming from noble families). while they are surely not normal in other aspects of life, being adventurers.
    then you factor in that jon is an
    elf
    trying to pass off as a human mage.

we don't know how jon acted before he became the way he is. maybe his over the top acting is to make up for the fact he has no emotions.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Tastes will obviously vary but Finch, Isra, Valerie, Sirene, and the npcs from Glam’s NPC pack were all interesting without drawing too much attention to themselves.
    pretty much all of the bg 1 npcs mods tend to take npc project into account with how much content they have. none feel like they are over shadowing another npc.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Keto is a mod that comes to mind