Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    No, they were added to PVRTexTools. I haven't seen any options to turn it off.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    As I've already mentioned, the PVRZ conversion mod is working fine on macOS now – the same should hold for Linux systems as well... Now the only requirement is to not to have a pure 32-bit operating systems.

@subtledoctor rejoice :D
  • kosmaskosmas Member Posts: 8
    Hey there!
    Looking for help... I must have been doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.
    I'm trying to Mod BG:EE on an iPad Air with iOS 13.3.

Did all the steps from the instruction (old itunes, ipa -> zip, modding, zip, lang.bg1data & mod.bg1override, exchange via dropbox, install also through dropbox "export").

For a test run I used two different kit mods (arcane archer and charlatan).

What I do get are two new options during character creation for fighter and bard, but they are both named "Invalid: 34000" and "Invalid: 34006".
    I figure I did something at least half correct then... ;-)

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction or ask me the right questions!?

Thank you!
    @kosmas

Try installing again your lang.bg1data......
    @Luke93
    Thanks for the fast reply! I did it again, several times actually.
    Since it's a text error, it seems to be connected to the dialog.tlk but zipping and unzipping and running again and moving the file from dropbox to the iOS file manager all didn't work.

I suspected a connection to the ipad OS but if so, it shouldn't be working at all.
    edited January 2020
    @kosmas

The zipping method is crucial:
    • If you're on Windows, then you should use WinRAR.
    • If you're on macOS, then simply use the native app 'Utility Archive'
    • If you're on Linux, then I don't know...
    @Luke93
    Thanks again! I was hoping it would be that.

Gave it a try with WinRAR (no compression = "store"!?) instead of 7Zip and even reinstalled the whole game and moved the files from dropbox directly on the tablet just to be sure.

Didn't work sadly. I've got the same issue with invalid text.

Is it save to assume, that it must be something with the /lang-folder (dialog.tlk) since it seems to be text-related?
    I can't think of a reason why it should work with one folder and not the other...
    @kosmas

I'm sorry to hear that, but the method definitely works on BG:EE, so you're doing something wrong... Or maybe there's a problem with those mods... Did you try installing some other mods?

@StummvonBordwehr , @imp51096454

How do you set WinRAR when it comes to zipping these folders?
    StummvonBordwehr
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited January 2020
    Hi

I successfully modded my BG1:ee install in the Christmas holidays.

Weidu log attached.

The mods worked fine, besides a bug that prevented me from going from Cloakwood 1 to cloakwood 2 (BG tweaks (version 8) the suspected culprit).

When I zip the file, I use 7-zip and just zip it with no compression. I have take some pictures of the process - hope you can use it even if the language isn’t English...
    odbcro3zscsg.jpeg
    tpksskm1y4fl.jpeg
    88uckn4z3v4b.jpeg
    I used 7-zip since me free version of win rar ran out. It works, but just remember to 1) change the name (rename) of the new folder in windows - just erase “.zip”, and the folder changes it’s appearance and status from a zip folder to a regular folder,
    2) upload again to Dropbox and change the name again to the names the guide states.
    This works for me.

Ps. Thank you Luke for this method and helping us out - I am truly great full
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
  • imp51096454imp51096454 Member Posts: 53
    Hello @Luke93
    @kosmas
    The path of language folder should be precise: lang.bg2data\lang\en_US, therefore, the entire lang folder should be included when zipping.
    Try replacing dialog.tlk with your own file in the following attachment, then modify the extension of the attachment as lang.bg2data before importing it to BGII:EE.
    @Luke93 , @StummvonBordwehr , @imp51096454

Thank you guys!
    It works like a charm now.

Partly ashamed of admitting it, but I was 100% my fault :#
    I zipped the copied lang-folder and named it correctly lang.bg1data never to check again that IN the zip-file the first subfolder was still (windows-auto-)named "lang - copy".
    Due to your detailed explanations, I found the errors of my ways ;-)

I'll go with StummvonBordwehr and thank you Luke93 again "for this method and helping us out" - I am truly great full as well!
    StummvonBordwehr_Luke_
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    Maybe I am being a complete idiot but i don’t get the following options.

Take your iOS device, navigate to the file (whether on Cloud Storage or E-mail) and open the file through the application's "Interact with other Applications" Menu (generally the Square with Up Arrow button on an iOS Device). We're looking for either "export" or "open in another application". In the list of applications, BG:EE/BG2:EE/IWD:EE/PST:EE/SoD should show up. Tap on it.

When I press Share, the box with an up arrow I don’t get options to export and the apps is I can interact with are limited and I can’t get my BG games in there.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    Hi @SirBuliwyf
    Are you trying to access the app from a Mac or cpu, and which version of iTunes are you using?
    edited February 2020
    I’m on iPad. Software version 13.3.1
    I’ve done all the work with old iTunes and modified my file in NI and exported it. Emailed it to myself and now I need to plop my file from the email back into the game which I think is the step above.
    5ssk7rddopo6.png

That overlay menu comes up when I select “more”
    Without the overlay menu
    5sh6zl6yom8o.png
    edited February 2020
    @SirBuliwyf

Unless I'm missing something, you edited HAPPY.IDS, right?

If you look at your screenshot, you'll notice your file has extension .ZIP. That's not good. I fear you skipped step #7.

Simply zip your /override folder (which contains HAPPY.IDS) and rename it to override.bg1data (or override.bg2data). E-mail it to yourself. Now navigate to the file and look for either "export" or "open in another application". In the list of applications, the game should show up now. Tap on it.
    StummvonBordwehr
    You are right. I missed that step out. It’s for siege of Dragonspear though. Does it matter what I call it?
    edited February 2020
    It was happy.2da which I zipped up. I then renamed it to override.soddata and emailed it to myself. Still no option to export or open in another application

Edit. Worked out that if I rename to bg2data it will give me the bg2 app to send it to. I guess it matters what the suffix is and I’ve no idea what it is for siege of Dragonspear. Anyone worked that out?
    edited February 2020
    SirBuliwyf wrote: »
    It’s for siege of Dragonspear though. Does it matter what I call it?

Use ".bg1data" (it's written in the FAQ).
    So it is. I hadn't read that far down. I guess my general dislike for how apple do things and not wanting to go through all that for such a small change clouded me.
    No excuses, I didn't put enough effort in, especially when you clearly have. Sorry. Hopefully it will all be worth it.
    StummvonBordwehr_Luke_
    Hi every one, I failed to install music.bg2data to my IOS game. I was wondering whether the music folder is zipped in a wrong way, the attachment is my music.bg2data (extension of the attachment have been modifed as .zip in order to upload )
    @imp51096454

Could be related to the folder itself... I mean, one day I tried to import the "scripts" folder and my BG2:EE game crashed immediately...
    Thankyou, @Luke93
    Can you provide me with a problem-free music folder which have been validated in your device?
    Can you provide me with a problem-free music folder which have been validated in your device?

I've never messed with the music folder. Which is the mod you're referring to?
    edited March 2020
    The problem is a little bit complex @Luke93
    I have installed SAERILETH mod, when her romance triggers, a sound will be played, just as any other original lovers do.
    After numerous battles in dungeon (where romances will not be trigger, but instead stack together)---leaving a dungeon results in cooccurrence of romances dialogues of multiple characters: for me, aerie and saerileth. Here comes the problem: when saerileth's romance triggers prior to aerie's, saerileth's BGM will pile on aerie's BGM, instead of covering it, it's so disgusting that two entirely different BGM are being played simultaneously. I took a look at aerie and saerileth's BCS script, and found that in aerie.BCS play song (34) as defined in songlist.2da, while saerileth.BCS play sound, so here is the difference.
    My plan was: 1.convert saerileth's BGM to ACM format 2.import it to music folder, adding it in songlist.2da
    3. import both files to IOS device.
    Therefore, I need a feasible music.bg2data folder.
    @imp51096454

It's possible this mod you're using is not really compatible with EE games... New MUS files must be added using "ADD_MUSIC". That command will copy the new file to the \music directory and add it to "SONGLIST.2DA". What I'm trying to say is that your \music folder is probably not structured correctly...
    edited March 2020
    @Luke93 I have also installed many other MODs that adds additional music, for example, Trials of the Luremaster for BG2:EE: 1.0; Test Your Mettle!: 1.1, I have tested these two MOD in both IOS and PC, but BGM can be played correctly only on PC. (I am sure these MODs are correctly installed followed by correct structure)
    PS: In order to maximize the compatibility when installing MODs and for troubleshooting, PC version of BGII was a decompressed copy of IOS version, except for a PC version initiator Baludur.exe to run the game on PC.

I have looked closely at the music folder and packaged music from SAERILETH mod according to the correct structure:
    music/ saerileth/ saerileth.ACM
    music/ saerileth.MUS>>to define a set of song
    override/ songlist.2da

I mean, even if it is not a EE compatible MOD, we can still try to add music manually, right?

And it doesn't work either, just as the foregoing two MODs :'(
    Post edited by imp51096454 on
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited March 2020
    @Luke93 I have also installed many other MODs that adds additional music, for example, Trials of the Luremaster for BG2:EE: 1.0; Test Your Mettle!: 1.1, I have tested these two MOD in both IOS and PC, but BGM can be played correctly only on PC. (I am sure these MODs are correctly installed followed by correct structure)

Interesting. So are you saying there's a problem with the music tracks introduced by these two mods on iOS?
    These two mods correctly add those tracks to the \music directory, so you should follow standard importing procedure: take \music, zip it and rename it to \music.bg2data. After that, open it with your iOS copy of BG2:EE.

Moreover, I'm not sure what you mean by "BGM"... My \music folder contains only ".mus" or ".acm" files...
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    @Luke93 I am not sure whether this issue is attributed to the music track themselves or the structure of the music folder, as I tried to imported saerileth.ACM following the same way through which the music contents of foregoing two MODs were structured.
    And sorry, I should have specified ''BGM'': the song being played when SAERILETH's romance triggers, as it is wrongly defined as "sound" in SAERILETH's script, the engine will call this file as ambient sound, and it was formatted as .wav instead of .acm and .mus. (I have converted this file to .acm, accompanied by corresponding .mus file)
    Sorry to say that I have tried the standard procedure, but still it doesn't work. :s
    The attachment shows how music folder is constructed before the compression of the entire music folder.
    1.jpg 524.5K
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited March 2020
    Sorry to say that I have tried the standard procedure, but still it doesn't work. :s
    The attachment shows how music folder is constructed before the compression of the entire music folder.

So your game crashes upon opening "music.bg2data"? I'll try that myself as soon as possible, but if that's the case, then I fear we need to wait for an update by Beamdog... One day I edited some player scripts located in the \scripts folder and my game crashed upon importing "scripts.bg2data"... I'm not sure what's wrong since ".bg2data" is supposed to extract to home:/ (home:/ resolves to the writeable location inside the app.). Moreover, importing the Worldmap folder works just fine, so it's weird...
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Luke93 It was not that serious, the game didn't crash, but I didn't hear the successfully imported music either. If your music.bg2data worked fine, may I have a copy of your music.bg2data? By making comparison with my own file, hopefully I will figure out what's wrong.