Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    The next crucial fight is the cyclops fight just outside the underground river. I buffed for hours for the fight, and brought out a stone golem (the stone ally figurine).

In my recent runs, I've always avoided that fight by killing Malden Col (or pickpocketing him if the option is available), the traitor in the coalition camp, he carries one of Caelar's Seals.

Well done on the whole SoD though, that's quite a feat with a solo warrior class !

Grond0StummvonBordwehrFlashburnWise_Grimwald
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Was reluctant to share my last attempt, since I didn'¨t get far
    [...]
    I got trough the mines and all of cloak wood, got to Baldur's Gate

I consider passing Davaeorn going pretty far in BG1 on solo no reload runs...
    StummvonBordwehrBlackravenIDoTheTwistCrevsDaak
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    ... Her abduction should force a script that leaves you with 2 rings of Gaxx if the ring was in her inventory - well according to an exploit picked up on this site.

As the one who posted the exploit in question, I'm pretty sure it only works with Rasaad's quest. Nalia's abduction is scripted properly to avoid the issue.

As for the claw of Kazgaroth - death saves are important too. Really, that piece is only worth it for a character that has poor spell saves and good death saves, who won't lose hit points to the Con penalty. Of the default BG2 companions, that's pretty much just Aerie, Cernd, and Dorn.
    StummvonBordwehrBlackravenmonicoCrevsDaak
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    jmerry wrote: »
    ... Her abduction should force a script that leaves you with 2 rings of Gaxx if the ring was in her inventory - well according to an exploit picked up on this site.

As the one who posted the exploit in question, I'm pretty sure it only works with Rasaad's quest. Nalia's abduction is scripted properly to avoid the issue.

As for the claw of Kazgaroth - death saves are important too. Really, that piece is only worth it for a character that has poor spell saves and good death saves, who won't lose hit points to the Con penalty. Of the default BG2 companions, that's pretty much just Aerie, Cernd, and Dorn.
    Thanks for the clarification @jmerry
    I read your post again, and you are right that you wrote only the Rasaad script was bugged. I read the post with my wishful thinking goggles..

I am running a warrior type, who typically can afford the trade between save vs. death and save vs. spell. Especially the shorty types.

The con loss is huge, and definitely not to my liking. But as a barbarian I can use rage to mitigate the con loss without too much ado. I do the same with characters who can Duhm as well (besides the Bhaal powers).
    Grond0monicoCrevsDaak
  • IDoTheTwistIDoTheTwist Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2020
    Hey,

First of all congratulations Flashburn! That is epic! Solo run...
    Also that golem construction mod sounds interesting and shadow magic also.

Now a few questions:
    The ghost upstairs in Durlag's Tower (level 12 invoker) made me a little confused.
    Just trying to find out exactly how the various encounters operate before attempting another no reload run, some monsters I have not faced in ages, so can't remember.

I have SCS installed at the moment, latest version, insane difficulty, tactical encounters, smarter mages, priests and all.

He is prebuffed with mirror image, shadow door, mgoi, minor spell turning, protection from normal missiles, shield and stoneskin and then he casts pfmw.

I tried hitting him with bare hands (non-magical weapons) but the combat log displayed "weapon ineffective". I take it he is innately immune to normal weapons?

Wand of frost's charged ability should count as a level 8 spell (in bg1) and thereby just precisely ignoring minor spell deflection (and ofc also mgoi), but when I use it multiple times on him it says "spell ineffective" every time (not just once, which would not make sense either in any way). Ehm, why?

Wand of heavens should count as a level 5 spell, but multiple times the combat log displayed "spell ineffective". Of course it should be blocked once by spell deflection, but it said spell ineffective many times, without a recast of minor spell deflection?

Only once did I see in the combat log that he was immune to the damage from wand of heavens, so I guess he is innately immune to fire damage?
    So it seems wand of heavens DID get through at some point, but it should have hit him at the second use of wand of heavens not the fourth, I really do not understand what happened here?

Wand of paralyzation seems to get through just fine and after testing again, wand of paralyzation seems to be the only 1 behaving as expected. For example I tried using wand of heavens once and thereby cancelling his minor spell deflection and then I used wand of paralyzation as the second spell attempt on him and it went right through and hit.

Any of you have any clues to these questions?

Here are some screenshots if it helps at all:
    yt12b4mh7z6a.png
    lf9wlexk168w.png
    o9i3kj5rxq2v.png
    hj0nknttoo5g.png

StummvonBordwehrAerakarFlashburnAerie
  • IDoTheTwistIDoTheTwist Member Posts: 15
    Hey Jmerry,
    That is great, good to know, thanks for the info.
    At least he is not immune to stun.
    So you can just get rid of his minor spell deflection with 1 charge from a wand of heavens and then use wand of paralyzation to take him out in the very first round (tested it)... but yea whatever walking downstairs works as well!
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0CrevsDaakWise_Grimwald
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Very different to the way that I usually play. I guess that I'm not evil enough even when playing evil. :D
    FlashburnAerakarStummvonBordwehr
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Flashburn Congrats on taking out the big guy,
    Flashburn