Skip to content

Surviving with a Solo Druid.

Hello everyone!
I've been playing a fighter/druid solo on Core Rules. At the beginning it was a blast, extremely satisfactory, but when i've started BG2, things started to became a problem.
We all know Mages are way OP in this game, thanks to things like Imprisonment, Death Spells and near immunity state with Mirror Image and Spell Turning (thank Talos i'm not running with SCS installed).

I've tried everything to survive high solo encounters with Mages, but they always manage to insta-kill me. Mustard Jelly form from the Cloak of the Sewers didn't protect me against Imprisonment, Spell Turning from the Book of Inifinite Spells and True Sight gets easily dispelled by enemies, and lastly Insect Plague and Creeping Doom are useless against Spell Turning and Trap.
My summons are not that worthy though, Elementals and even Devas get Imprisoned/killed outright at the beginning of the battle. Can't dispel either enemies protection with a low level Dispel Magic (the only anti-mage spell i can count with).

Any tips to survive mage battles with a multi or pure druid without cheesing? (PFM Scroll does the trick, but it's cheesy as hell, as so PFU).
Thanks for reading in advance.
JuliusBorisovSkatan

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Insect plague + summons. I have now solved every mage encounter in the game. Mage's can't cast for the duration of the spell, and only magic resistance will block it. Mage go invisible? Target one of your summons, it will spread in a small aoe.
    gorgonzolaiosfrustration
  • darkydoofdarkydoof Member Posts: 16
    Insect Plague didn't go as expected against that stupid Spell Turning, even if i targeted my summon. How do you brace yourself against insta kill stuff like Imprisonment, or that annoying Simulacrum when enemy mages dispel your True Sight or other protections?
  • ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2020
    In one of my several current playthroughs I’ve solo’d a good portion of BG2 as a bezerker/Druid and for mage fights, going bezerk and insects have worked well. In my solo runs I do temporarily take a second character to be able to get their quests although I still do all the fights solo.

Rasaad quest has a couple of useful items that may help you: Gem that casts true sight (frees up a spell slot for you) and a cloak that improves your offhand thac0 if you’re dual wielding.

Dorns quest gives you that one helmet for many immunities.

Druid’s do have the Death ward spell vs insta kills

In situational fights, the simulacrum helm has been helpful too

Those have been helpful against mages.
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzola
    Thanks for all the tips guys, really.
    It kinda sucks cuz i was doing a solo no-reload run with a F/D, but my character died stupidly in the Planar Sphere thanks to a death trap. After that my other characters (also druids) got ganked by mages.
    Currently running a solo Avenger, but in the end i think this one is going to die soon or later :D!
    gorgonzolaMantis37
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Yeah, i've already read that story-guide and tried to follow the strategies implemented. Thing is, the Totemic Druid summons have this cool immunities and that is a supreme advantage. Avengers don't have that upper hand, just a couple of useful mage spells xD.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Fighter/druids are probably the game's strongest anti-mage characters (in fact mage-killing is the most common reason people carry Jaheira in their BG2 parties) so it's pretty unusual to have mages be a stumbling block for a fighter/druid. Changing the way you target your swarms should be enough to get the job done. Best wishes and good luck as you play the game!
    darkydoofJuliusBorisov
    jsaving wrote: »
    Fighter/druids are probably the game's strongest anti-mage characters (in fact mage-killing is the most common reason people carry Jaheira in their BG2 parties) so it's pretty unusual to have mages be a stumbling block for a fighter/druid. Changing the way you target your swarms should be enough to get the job done. Best wishes and good luck as you play the game!

Thanks for the comment!
    Since it was a no-reload run i've started fresh with an Avenger, let's see what happens in BG2!
    Aerie
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Summoned creatures ARE great against mages in BG2. My recommendation is to send summoned creatures one at a time at mages (while you wait offscreen). BG2 mages often cast Death Spell on the first summoned creature they see. If you send that one in alone, the mage will trigger Death Spell on it, and then you should be able to send the other creatures in safely.

You don't even need to have powerful summoned creatures; even basic animal summons will suck up enemy mages' spells if you send them in one at a time. The mage casts Cone of Cold on your wolf, it dies, then you send in another wolf, until the mage is out of dangerous spells and their Protection from Magical Weapons has worn off.

Scary things like Imprisonment (4th time mentioned here, ruined my no reload run) or Time Stop tend to be difficult for a non mage character. The best thing i can think is to run the hell out of the mage sight and then send all available summons, is that correct?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Imprisonment is a touch range spell for mages - and if you're playing a pure druid you should aim to never get into touch range of them while they can cast spells (that's not necessarily the case with a fighter/druid though). For time stop, yes, do get out of sight range before the spell triggers and leave a single sacrificial summon behind to act as a target and ensure the mage doesn't follow you. As noted above though, the use of insects can shut down any standard mage before they have a chance to cast either of those spells.
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzoladarkydoof
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited March 2020
    jsaving wrote: »
    Fighter/druids are probably the game's strongest anti-mage characters (in fact mage-killing is the most common reason people carry Jaheira in their BG2 parties)
    even if i disagree, i think that the strongest anti mages are mages and sorcerers, equipped with rov and aop to cast much faster then the enemy ones and maybe assisted by a couple of secondary arcane casters, and even if when i have jaheira in the party is mainly because she is a freaking good dual welder that reaches easily 4.5-5apr, that will have fighter hla and iron skins, that allows to gate an elemental prince, that can exist at the same time of my mage's planetar....
    even if all that i wrote before is true i agree that druids are very strong anti mages.
    the fact that with the trick of having the insect spreading from a minor enemy or from a summon of you it can hit almost any enemy is what make them so strong at it.

darkydoof wrote: »
    Scary things like Imprisonment (4th time mentioned here, ruined my no reload run) or Time Stop tend to be difficult for a non mage character.
    i don't play SoD, but in bg2 i would say that in vanilla there are not so many mages casting imprisonment, and not only a mage has to touch you to do it (and as long as in a solo you have a single pair of speed boots no one can reach you unless you intentionally let him do it), but imprisonment is a spell with casting time of 9, almost a full round, many ways to disrupt it or to run away from the mage's sight as he is still and casting. demiliches imprisonment is different, but the 2 demiliches you find in the game are completely optional and there are special scrolls that make them very easy to beat by the way.
    more or less the same is true for time stop, long casting time, few vanilla mages that use it. if a solo character that is not a powerful mage that has ways to make himself completely resilient get freezed by a time stop while on sight of the enemy mage it is his own fault, druid, fighter or whatever is very likely that he will not survive.

in general when with a toon you lack of ways to counter something an ai driven caster does to use summons to suck it or mobility in and out of his sight range make the things much more easy. and it is almost possible in every vanilla situation but against those 2 demiliches.

solo is tricky, it can be sometimes difficult but to be way over leveled, and to have only a toon to protect and buff, so rare scrolls and potions can be used more often, is a good compensation of the lacking of the capabilities and apr of a larger party. at least until late tob where even in a large party the characters reach high levels.
    no reload is much more difficult, you really need to perfectly know how to deal with every battle, trap, enemy and situation you can find as a single error means game over.

i would not suggest to a player to try to solo with a class that he still don't know how to use solo and to run no reload at the same time. it is asking for trouble.
    after having some solo solid experience with a class and also some general no reload one the solo no reload can be done with some chance of reaching the throne of baal, doing it before is simply setting the conditions for a failure.
    to try it, but instead trying to reload as less as is possible, while you are still learning to solo with that class is a completely different thing that i strongly suggest.

jsaving
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    You will rarely go wrong listening to @gorgonzola and he is 100% right that mages are solid anti-mage characters. However I would add that mages are good against almost anything whereas druids are less broadly useful which makes their anti-mage capabilities stand out. Which I think is a roundabout way of saying he was even more right than he knew? :)
    gorgonzola

h

Yeah, i've already read that story-guide and tried to follow the strategies implemented. Thing is, the Totemic Druid summons have this cool immunities and that is a supreme advantage. Avengers don't have that upper hand, just a couple of useful mage spells xD.

how do u deal with traps?. I've died in planar sphere and the imps riddle in the city of the caverns thanks to instakill traps xD.
    If you know what type of trap it is, spell protections. If it’s a fire dmg trap use Resist Fire spell, if it’s a confusion/charm trap use chaotic commands, etc. This could be tough if you’re doing no reloads unless you have traps memorized.
    darkydoofgorgonzola
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yes, the key is to have traps memorized and avoid them. If you need to fire a few traps off, buff yourself with Shield of the Archons + Death Ward + Chaotic Commands (+ Remove Fear from the Deva).
    gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited March 2020
    There are very few (if any?) insta-kill traps that can't be otherwise avoided, so you just need a "Find Trap" ability. (There are plenty of traps that can't be avoided, but they aren't typically lethal unless you are already low on health)

As for mages, I'm running an SCS game right now and, as others have noted, the easiest way to solve that problem is summons. I don't believe druids can summon skeleton warriors, which are the best due to their innate MR, but anything that forces them to blow a high-level spell is better than nothing. Once they are down to magic missile, it's usually safe to step in and take them out.

Obviously, there are some encounters that your F/D should probably just skip, though. Kangaxx, for instance. (shoot, most liches)
    gorgonzoladarkydoof
    Yes, the key is to have traps memorized and avoid them. If you need to fire a few traps off, buff yourself with Shield of the Archons + Death Ward + Chaotic Commands (+ Remove Fear from the Deva).

Well, my summons got killed thanks to a lich death spell and then it was game. Perhaps i expect a lot from this class, Druids in this game are not as op as others RPG's II. I'll stick to other class one more time.

Thanks everyone for the tips and stay safe at home!
    JuliusBorisov
    Yeah bezerker/Druid has been a solid solo class so far. Working my way through finishing SOA atm. Somewhat nervous about the Amelyssan fight as in my previous solo runs I’ve had the benefit of refreshing skills with Wish or using traps to avoid the fight altogether. But I’ll figure something out. That’s part of the fun.
  • Mephisto66Mephisto66 Member Posts: 11
    Imprisonment is an allpowerful spell. And there are only twp way of protection. 1 is spell immunity to abjuration which mages have; second is shield of archon; can only block a few of them. U cant save throw it, magic resist wont work it. Bla bla bla. U can also death ward urself vs death magics suchs as wail of banshee. Fighter/druids are not that good for solo games anyway if u want to do every stuff in game. U cant beat kangaxx for example. Hmm maybe with summons but they suck too against him. Only proper way to damage him is turn undead with high level and ot daystar sword. Sunbeam wont hurt him too if i remember well. Well for imprisonment u can have korgan temporarily; who is immune to imprisonment with his berserk skill. Rest wont be able to stand against him. For the rest of mahes; druid rulz with insect plague or creeping doom but still spell turning is something. U also cant insect an opponent with globe of invulberability ehich provides immunity to 5th or lower directly targeted spells levels. So creeping doom will be your only option against those. Same spell actually but double damage; 2 damage per second. And also u can try poison them but they aave throw it easy
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    not quite the same spell with double damage, because the way you apply them is very different.
    while creeping doom creates insects that move in a straight line and affect everything not protected in their path insect plague has to target someone and then, if it connects it spread to the near by enemies with almost no save allowed.
    it is possible to cast insect plague on a minor helper of a powerful enemy and have the plague extend to the boss that if directly targeted would have been immune and, at least in EE, is even possible to target one of your summons and have the plague spread to the near by enemies.

this, more then the damage done, make them very different and make each one better suited for different tactical situations.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Mephisto66 wrote: »
    Imprisonment is an allpowerful spell. And there are only twp way of protection. 1 is spell immunity to abjuration which mages have; second is shield of archon; can only block a few of them. U cant save throw it, magic resist wont work it. Bla bla bla. U can also death ward urself vs death magics suchs as wail of banshee. Fighter/druids are not that good for solo games anyway if u want to do every stuff in game. U cant beat kangaxx for example. Hmm maybe with summons but they suck too against him. Only proper way to damage him is turn undead with high level and ot daystar sword. Sunbeam wont hurt him too if i remember well. Well for imprisonment u can have korgan temporarily; who is immune to imprisonment with his berserk skill. Rest wont be able to stand against him. For the rest of mahes; druid rulz with insect plague or creeping doom but still spell turning is something. U also cant insect an opponent with globe of invulberability ehich provides immunity to 5th or lower directly targeted spells levels. So creeping doom will be your only option against those. Same spell actually but double damage; 2 damage per second. And also u can try poison them but they aave throw it easy

If you dual from berserker to druid you can beat Kangaxx no problemo.
    Shangeroo
    edited March 2020

edited March 2020
    Post edited by darkydoof on