Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited March 2020
    No, but this one is definitely racism. Instead of focusing on the misidentifying a Thai person as Chinese, look instead at why someone is immediately afraid of any Asian she sees? It isn't because Asians are more likely to carry covid-19. It's racism.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    No, but this one is definitely racism. Instead of focusing on the misidentifying a Thai person as Chinese, look instead at why someone is immediately afraid of any Asian she sees? It isn't because Asians are more likely to carry covid-19. It's racism.

I prefer to call it, 'assholism'. It's not like race is the only thing these pricks are prejudiced against...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Balrog99 wrote: »

I prefer to call it, 'assholism'. It's not like race is the only thing these pricks are prejudiced against...

We all know where this is heading. First it is declining business at Chinese Buffets. That's with 100 people dead. When we reach a 1000 deaths, we'll see attacks on random Asian-Americans in the street. Verbal at first. Feral, hysteric shrieking. When we get to 10,000, the physical assaults will start. At 100,000 dead, it's bricks through the windows of your local Giant Panda. And, as a kicker, of COURSE these assholes won't know the difference between Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese heritage. That's the point. Trump is one step away from calling this the Yellow Menace. We all know it. We all know where that talk leads, ESPECIALLY in a society that is falling apart economically. I just assumed it would end up being Latinos or Muslims. But Asian-Americans will suit his needs just as well.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited March 2020
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

We all know where this is heading. First it is declining business at Chinese Buffets. That's with 100 people dead. When we reach a 1000 deaths, we'll see attacks on random Asian-Americans in the street. Verbal at first. Feral, hysteric shrieking. When we get to 10,000, the physical assaults will start. At 100,000 dead, it's bricks through the windows of your local Giant Panda. And, as a kicker, of COURSE these assholes won't know the difference between Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese heritage. That's the point. Trump is one step away from calling this the Yellow Menace. We all know it. We all know where that talk leads, ESPECIALLY in a society that is falling apart economically. I just assumed it would end up being Latinos or Muslims. But Asian-Americans will suit his needs just as well.

It's the same pricks though. Doesn't matter who they're railing against. It's not racism, it's 'kick the shit out of somebody different than me so I can feel better'ism. Whether it's a fat person, black person, gay person, Asian person, disabled person, person on a bicycle who pisses them off when they're driving, whatever, doesn't matter. Labeling them 'racists' isn't descriptive enough. Asshole just seems a better description to me...
    edited March 2020

It's the same pricks though. Doesn't matter who they're railing against. It's not racism, it's 'kick the shit out of somebody different than me so I can feel better'ism. Whether it's a fat person, black person, gay person, Asian person, disabled person, person on a bicycle who pisses them off when they're driving, whatever, doesn't matter. Labeling them 'racists' isn't descriptive enough. Asshole just seems a better description to me...

What's really interesting is that the go-to hive-mind argument today is "no one had a problem with calling it the Spanish Flu". Well, they should have. Because though we don't know where it originated for certainty, it was definitely NOT Spain. The most likely culprit is Kansas. Spain was simply the only one who was being honest about it because they weren't in the middle of fighting in World War I. Thus, since they were the only ones admitting it was real, their country got the label. The EXACT typical ignorance you'd expect from this crowd. A self-own that proves their own stupidity that they think is fucking brilliant. And the venn diagram of these people and those who believe this virus was manufactured in a lab is a circle. They're also the ones who have basically been out licking lamp posts (figuratively speaking) for the last week saying it was a media hoax.
    Speaking of masks.....I mean, what is there to say?? This is going to be catastrophic:

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited March 2020
    I got a relative in intensive care in a hospital for cancer complications. She says staff don't have masks, are still wearing those paper masks.

She's probably going to die. No immune system due to chemo and the virus is running wild and untracked.

Maybe now's not the time for the President to go insulting other nations that might otherwise be willing to help us.

Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I mean, you're technically implying intent on why they did that. The original comment just said she got up and left.

I meam that would no different from me claiming someone is racist for just choosing to cross the street and walk on the other side when I'm walking. I don't know the intent, I can assume it that's it.

Also why someone would assume why a Asian would have it? It start and over powered one an Asian country that has one of the largest populations on this planet maybe? One that has lied about it, silenced whistle blower and been trying to save face. So no I can understand why someone would be a little skiddish, the exact same way someone would be skiddish about someone from the middleast having MERS, or someone from Guinea having. Ebola... If it was more dangerously contagious.

What's really interesting is that the go-to hive-mind argument today is "no one had a problem with calling it the Spanish Flu". Well, they should have. Because though we don't know where it originated for certainty, it was definitely NOT Spain. The most likely culprit is Kansas. Spain was simply the only one who was being honest about it because they weren't in the middle of fighting in World War I. Thus, since they were the only ones admitting it was real, their country got the label. The EXACT typical ignorance you'd expect from this crowd. A self-own that proves their own stupidity that they think is fucking brilliant. And the venn diagram of these people and those who believe this virus was manufactured in a lab is a circle. They're also the ones who have basically been out licking lamp posts (figuratively speaking) for the last week saying it was a media hoax.
    All I'm going to say is this, before complaining about the Coronavirus, start with these first.

MERS - Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome
    WNV - West Nile Virus
    German Measles
    Spanish Influenza (didn't even start in Spain!)
    Ebola River Hemorrhagic Fever
    St. Louis Encephalitis
    Marburg Virus Disease
    Norovirus (Named after Norwalk Ohio)
    Japanese Encephalitis
    Zika

Then I'll take the, "calling it The Wuhan, or China virus" racism argument seriously in the slightest.
    edited March 2020
    DragonKing wrote: »

All I'm going to say is this, before complaining about the Coronavirus, start with these first.

WNV - West Nile Virus
    German Measles
    St. Louis Encephalitis
    Marburg Virus Disease
    Japanese Encephalitis
    Zika

Then I'll take the, "calling it The Wuhan, or China virus" racism argument seriously in the slightest.

The problem with this argument is that this virus already has a name. It already has two of them that are widely used. The problem also ignores the MOTIVE behind it. Calling it the Chinese Virus is one thing, but when the people working for the man pushing that are also calling it the "Kung-Flu" to the face of Asian-American reporters, then it kinda gives the game away.

And to your earlier post, yes it is ridiculous and stupid that anyone would think an Asian-American would be more likely to have it. It's already here and has spread to almost 10,000 people (that we know of). It simply shows the complete ignorance about this whole situation. As I said, the people now settling into this whole narrative were telling us a week ago it was "just the flu" and to "get on with our lives". So no, I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt now. I'm not gonna be gaslit by the bullshit while they pretend (like their Orange Savior) that they have been concerned about it from the beginning when that is straight-up double-speak right out of one of the Ministries in Oceania. The move from "it's 15 cases and it'll soon be zero" to "I knew it was a pandemic before anyone was calling it a pandemic" is quite literally the most Orwellian thing I've ever heard a world leader say. And, not surprisingly, it's working. Because all the usual suspects are adopting the exact same line and pretending like they didn't spend the last 15 days saying those of us who were sounding the alarm bell were paranoid alarmists at best. I won't stand for this narrative. It's complete fantasy. It's not what took place.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I mean, you're technically implying intent on why they did that. The original comment just said she got up and left.
    Yes, for lack of better word I used racism but also immediately withdrew that by stating it is more a reaction from concern because I cannot condemn a person for a behaviour for which I know not the background, but I wanted to describe a generic act of people that I see more and more these days. Concern is likely the best word here.

Such reactions these days are not totally unfounded (not saying they are just) because of the severity of the events in the last months. After all, we are being conditioned by media and people around us in positive and negative way. So really knows the truth? Only after repeated favoritism and acts against generic stereotype does it really become racism.

Off topic: I have no idea whether anti-italian behaviour can be annotated as racism. Is there a term for it when it entails a country? Nationalism is rooting for your own country and is aimed towards generically all other countries. What is the term for signaling out one other country?

edited March 2020
    It actually is unfounded to treat Asians as plague carriers just because the first cases were recorded in China. Also, it's racist.

Also, saying someone did something racist is not a condemnation. The preferred outcome is that they stop doing it.
    edited March 2020
    Pointing to an extreme at a single occurrence is also only fueling the extremes and the notion thereof.
    Hardly necessary I'd think. If this type of story goes to social media it would only enhance all the reactions.
    It would be better to raise awareness of the act and potential polarisation.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318

WNV - West Nile Virus
    German Measles
    St. Louis Encephalitis
    Marburg Virus Disease
    Japanese Encephalitis
    Zika

It's specifically because of the damaging effects of using those types of names that the WHO decided in 2015 to use neutral naming conventions in future.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The problem with this argument is that this virus already has a name. It already has two of them that are widely used. The problem also ignores the MOTIVE behind it.
    Interesting of note is that the WHO spend a lot of time thinking of a name that would not offense China or make it loose face. Courtesy of the CCP being a rather big sponsor of that organisation. It also doesn't help the fact that, thanks to propaganda campaigns inside China, folks over there now call it the "Italian virus" instead. Despite it already having an official name. That sounds pretty racistic to me, no?
    lroumen wrote: »
    Pointing to an extreme at a single occurrence is also only fueling the extremes and the notion thereof.
    Hardly necessary I'd think. If this type of story goes to social media it would only enhance all the reactions.
    It would be better to raise awareness of the act and potential polarisation.

The idea that racism is an extreme and not an everyday thing in the US is really strange. It doesn't magically start when the KKK burns a cross on someone's lawn or lynches someone (or both). It starts with how people are treated. For example, leaving the area as soon as you see someone in a stigmatized group.

I'd also say that focusing on intentions is utter nonsense. You can't know what her intention was any more than I can, but we both know what she did, and what she did was racist. It doesn't matter if she believed she was protecting herself from the virus - the belief that Asian people are more likely to carry covid-19 is a racist belief.

Cordoning racism off into a thing that no one ever quite does isn't helpful. It just serves to obfuscate.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The effects of the corona virus are now reaching the first sewage treatment plants. The reason: more and more people work from home and therefore use the toilet there instead of the usual offices'. To make matters worse, more and more things end up in the drain that don't belong there. This leads to blocked pipes in Mörfelden-Walldorf. "We now get twice as many fibers due to the use of, for example, wet wipes in the sewage treatment plant than about two weeks ago," says the head of the sewage treatment plant, Georg Lautenschläger. This could also clog the pump systems and would have to be cleaned by the municipal utility employees with considerable effort.
    Toilet paper - harbinger of the crapocalypse?
    Grond0 wrote: »

WNV - West Nile Virus
    German Measles
    St. Louis Encephalitis
    Marburg Virus Disease
    Japanese Encephalitis
    Zika

It's specifically because of the damaging effects of using those types of names that the WHO decided in 2015 to use neutral naming conventions in future.
    In you're own link
    "Diseases are often given common names by people outside of the scientific community. Once disease names are established in common usage through the Internet and social media, they are difficult to change, even if an inappropriate name is being used."

This is going to happen nomatter what and usually that second name tends to be the location it originated from on or the group of people that had one of the biggest effects on.

And you know the most effective way to deal with it? I'm about to let you in on one of the biggest lessons I learned growing up... Ready? IGNORE IT!

NOW HOLD ON, YOU MIGHT HAVE MISS HEARD ME, I didn't say innocent people being assaulted was a good thing or should be ignored. We have this thing called laws to deal with thing like that, thing which those laws already deam illegal. But literal stupid ish like calling something the "Wuhan" or whatever virus, ignore it and it goes away! MUCH LIKE EVERY OTHER VIRUS BEFORE.

Now you may also be thinking, "holding on do, that's all good and fine but this is actually doing damage to Asian businesses and hurting a economy that was actually going up."

Yes that is bad, but guess what? That was inevitably going to happen ANYWAYS, especially the bigger this this thing got! Any and everything that people even thought remotely had a connection with the effection was going to take a hit, oh and you know what also took a hit that to my knowledge actually has nothing to do with China but a lot of people have falsely associated with it duh to name alone. Since we now want to tip toe around naming, might as well toss businesses on that list as well.

The idea that racism is an extreme and not an everyday thing in the US is really strange.
    It actually isn't, believing that applying racism to every negative occurance or implying intent on actions one does is actually counter intuitive to dealing with the concept of racism.
    It doesn't magically start when the KKK burns a cross on someone's lawn or lynches someone (or both).
    Yes, it also doesn't mean an a-holish move towards a minority, makes the person who performer that action a card carrying member of the KKK.

It starts with how people are treated. For example, leaving the area as soon as you see someone in a stigmatized group.
    Which isn't race specific... It happens to people within the same race for infinite amount of reason... I mean heck, this is literally the definition of the word, clique.

I'd also say that focusing on intentions is utter nonsense. You can't know what her intention was any more than I can, but we both know what she did, and what she did was racist.
    Wrong, that's called cognitive bias, there is literally, no objective information there implying racism. Hell, it you take the word out of the original post would you still believe it to be racist? If you too the word "Thai" out of it, the concept of racism seem to magically vanish, why is that? Because it is implied! There is literally no other objective information that leads to that result thus the conclusion of "racism" is invalid.

It doesn't matter if she believed she was protecting herself from the virus - the belief that Asian people are more likely to carry covid-19 is a racist belief. .
    Again all of this is implied intent...
    lroumen wrote: »
    Yes, for lack of better word I used racism but also immediately withdrew that by stating it is more a reaction from concern because I cannot condemn a person for a behaviour for which I know not the background, but I wanted to describe a generic act of people that I see more and more these days. Concern is likely the best word here.

Such reactions these days are not totally unfounded (not saying they are just) because of the severity of the events in the last months. After all, we are being conditioned by media and people around us in positive and negative way. So really knows the truth? Only after repeated favoritism and acts against generic stereotype does it really become racism.

Off topic: I have no idea whether anti-italian behaviour can be annotated as racism. Is there a term for it when it entails a country? Nationalism is rooting for your own country and is aimed towards generically all other countries. What is the term for signaling out one other country?
    Again, it's implied, my statement to Belle applies to yours as well and I'd be a hypocrite of I didn't treated as such, you're applying intent.

The only objective thing we know is the action, some woman got up and left. The original statement doesn't even give the ethnicity of the Karen but I'm willing to put money on the table you, Belle, myself, and everyone else reading it implied "Caucasian", which is already applying cognitive bias to a already extremely vague situation as it is.

Now while we tend to use evidence on real life to learn intent of people's actions, there just not enough there to say anything behind speculation and I'll leave it at that because saying anymore would just be going deeper into speculation.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited March 2020
    While it is true and factual to say the virus originated in China. So what? Mad cow was from the UK, Spanish flu from the US, MERS from middle east.

Why is is Trump NOW calling it The China Virus. It already has a name. It's textbook scapegoating.
    Calling it "Chinese virus" is definitely an attempt to pawn off blame for the US' lack of preparedness.

As bodies continue dropping, he wants people to redirect the blame from him and be pissed at the Chinese. He takes responsibility for nothing. he does not want us mad at the US healthcare system and the Trump administration's epic failures in responding to the crisis.

The US and South Korea both had first cases detected on the same day. Korea got it's shit together and got tests deployed and tracked and contained the virus. Here we still don't have tests unless you are rich and we aren't reacting not tracking it. The Trump administration response of telling governor's to fend for themselves and generally trying to ignore the problem has been less than helpful.

It's not even subtle because it's not like Trump says 'coronavirus, which originated in Wuhan'. Or like 'COVID-19 from China'. It's so heavy handed. He drops the *actual name of the virus* to call it "Chinese virus". What he's doing is so transparent lmao.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    edited March 2020
    Receipts. The change comes at the exact same time he finally realized what kind of mess he was in:

Receipts. The change comes at the exact same time he finally realized what kind of mess he was in:

Who just changes what they call something on a dime without an ulterior motive?? I didn't wake up this morning and start calling my bottles of Fruit Punch Powerade "Red Liquid". Yet it seems incredibly important on March 16 to start calling what he had been calling the "Coronavirus" the "China Virus". Why?? Anyone have an actual explanation that isn't just bad faith plausible deniability??

Why is is Trump NOW calling it The China Virus. It already has a name. It's textbook scapegoating.
    Why is it it only became a problem after trump started saying it?

Many left news media called it that first, but one thing I noticed is they'll say something and once trump says it, agrees, or adopts it. It magically becomes racist.

If trump said something positive about breathing, some people would hold their freaking breath.

It is literally fake outrage
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Balrog99 "it's 'kick the shit out of somebody different than me so I can feel better'ism."

Um, you DO know that what you just described is racism when applied to an ethnicity, right? Its predjudiced behaviour against someone who belongs to a different group than you, someone different. In this case, its because the person was Asian. Racism.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    edited March 2020
    In you're own link
    "Diseases are often given common names by people outside of the scientific community. Once disease names are established in common usage through the Internet and social media, they are difficult to change, even if an inappropriate name is being used."

This is going to happen nomatter what and usually that second name tends to be the location it originated from on or the group of people that had one of the biggest effects on.

And you know the most effective way to deal with it? I'm about to let you in on one of the biggest lessons I learned growing up... Ready? IGNORE IT!

NOW HOLD ON, YOU MIGHT HAVE MISS HEARD ME, I didn't say innocent people being assaulted was a good thing or should be ignored. We have this thing called laws to deal with thing like that, thing which those laws already deam illegal. But literal stupid ish like calling something the "Wuhan" or whatever virus, ignore it and it goes away! MUCH LIKE EVERY OTHER VIRUS BEFORE.

Now you may also be thinking, "holding on do, that's all good and fine but this is actually doing damage to Asian businesses and hurting a economy that was actually going up."

Yes that is bad, but guess what? That was inevitably going to happen ANYWAYS, especially the bigger this this thing got! Any and everything that people even thought remotely had a connection with the effection was going to take a hit, oh and you know what also took a hit that to my knowledge actually has nothing to do with China but a lot of people have falsely associated with it duh to name alone. Since we now want to tip toe around naming, might as well toss businesses on that list as well.

The whole point of choosing neutral names was to avoid the problems caused by the choice of names in the past, i.e. those names have not simply been neutral terms (though I agree with you it would be good if people did in fact treat them that way).

Picking an agreed name early on, before there is significant public consciousness of a disease, does enable that name to get established. There's no inevitability at all about calling it the Chinese Flu or similar and I'm not aware of any significant pressure by people to do that (the very early media reports referring to it like that were not repeated once a name had been given to it) - at least until various members of the US government acted recently in concert to try and change the established name.

The fact the shift in name is being done so late just makes the intention to shift blame onto someone else all the more obvious. Trump has been extremely successful in the last few years in blaming other humans for any failings that might potentially have been laid at his door. Recently though he's struggled with the fact that it's far easier to blame a human than a virus - calling it 'Chinese' is just a way of attempting to shift the frame to make it easier to blame someone else.

I think you can make an argument that there is no racist intention here - Trump believes in equal opportunity in the sense he's ready to shift blame onto anyone else. Even if that wasn't his intention, the result will I think be to increase racism, but I don't think that's the greatest problem. If there's one thing that Covid-19 should have already taught us, it's the importance of international cooperation - the sharing of information, equipment, personnel and processes to improve the worldwide response. The fact that our understanding of this disease has improved so rapidly is down to the openness of the Chinese response to it (after their admittedly slow realization of the extent of the problem). Trying to create a culture of blame risks making such openness and cooperation harder to achieve in the future - and new diseases will continue to emerge in the future.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Why is is Trump NOW calling it The China Virus. It already has a name. It's textbook scapegoating. Calling it "Chinese virus" is definitely an attempt to pawn off blame for the US' lack of preparedness.

China was claiming that the U. S. military smuggled the coronavirus into China and released it on purpose.

The WHO told us back in mid-January that they were conviced, based on data presented to them by Chinese officials, that there were no instances of person-to-person transfer of this strain of corona. We listened to them.

Two Members of Congress have tested positive for corona.

Many GenZers (the folks younger than the average Millennial) are still going to hit the beaches for Spring Break.
    @DragonKing You make a good point. I extrapolated an anecdote to similar occurrences.