Skip to content

Unable to install Beamdog client on new ubuntu link system

kstevens67kstevens67 Member Posts: 41
Hi all,

I had purchased the Baldur's gate series for a Mac OS computer some years ago which died about 6 months ago. I finally got around to purchasing a new computer. This one I bought from system76 running Pop OS! which is very much based on the latest ubuntu (19) OS. I logged into Beamdog and the games I purchased show on my account. I now want to install the Beamdog launcher as I understand the launcher now works on linux (yea!). I clicked on the launcher and it has a default selection "Open with USB Flasher" and to Save file. I tried both options which take me to the same place. I type in my authentication and it asks me to choose an .iso or .img that I want to flash or plug in a USB drive (which I don't have one). I am familiar with linux but this is quite new to me as I was expecting the client to just install. I tried the following so far.

sudo apt install libgnome-keyring-dev
sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module
sudo apt install libgconf2-4
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
sudo apt install lib32stdc++6
sudo apt install libopenal1:i386
sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-glx:i386

Am I installing the client correctly or in the wrong area to get the Beamdog client working on Linux? I got the Install Install BeamDog option at https://store.beamdog.com/

Thanks all!

Kev

Comments

• oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    Hello,

Recently I got the itch of playing BG again and like you I went from macOS to Linux since I purchased the games. The client is an AppImage file and as far as I understand it does not need to be installed. It’s self contained and you just have to make it executable by right clicking the file and selecting properties/permissions. Then click the box allow executing file as program and you’re done.
    I tried on Ubuntu Budgie 19.10 but the program does not start. I having similar issues with other programs so it might not be the beamdog client. I’ll try on other distros and comment back here after.
    Ok I finally tested the Beamdog client on different distros and the result was the same :/
    I tried on Salient OS (based on Arch) and KDE Neon (based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Thanks for letting us know. We will look into this- in the meantime, please file a ticket with our support desk here > https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals
    Done :)