Skip to content

Item Upgrade v45 Released

CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
The Item Upgrade mod allows Cromwell and Cespenar to upgrade additional items in BGII. One third of them are convenience functions (e.g., they save you ring or boot space), one third of them try to beef up categories of weapons that are "weak by comparison" (e.g., clubs and spears), and one third of them upgrade NPC-specific items.

Version 45 contains a pair of bugfixes--one to allow the alternative Reaching Ring in BG2EE to be used in formulas, and the other to resolve a compatibility issue with SCS (though this will also require a new version from SCS).

v45 Changelog:
  • Fixed bug where the Sorcerian Ring formula was not accounting for the alternate Reaching Ring in BG2EE.
  • Resolved compatibility issue with the SCS component "Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages". If installed, it removes all scrolls of Contingency from the game. In that case, you will need a scroll of Globe of Invulnerability instead of Contingency for the archmagi robe formulas. However, this requires SCS of version > v32.8.
ilduderinoStummvonBordwehrThacoBellAedan

Comments

• SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75
    Nice that you're keeping it up to date!
    I've never been able to find a straight answer to this; how compatible is this mod with Item Revisions?
    Both in tone/balancing of the items, and in practice, does it cause any issues when using both?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    They'll work together AFAIK, but the goals of the mods are radically different so I'm not sure why you would.

IU was built by Wes to provide some very high-end/OP gear for use in games with Tactics installed whereas IR's goal is to try and smooth out these power spikes. With them installed together, you'd go from IR's thoughtfully rebalanced Celestial Fury to Wes' monster CF+5, which would seem to defeat the point of installing IR in the first place.
    Satrhan
  • SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75
    Thanks for clearing that up!
  • TulgasTulgas Member Posts: 22
    Must have & well recognised addon, very interesting to collect all things for upgrades.

Two rooms for improvement:
    - High level and very costly upgrades. I had 1M free money near game end and nothing to buy. Combining ioun stones seems just right thing to add.
    - Each upgrade description in separate game letter. Easy management (used upgrades go to dispenser, unused and desirable are stored). Or in one huge journal entry, since it's ingame editable. For now, switching out of game to look into list of uprades wasn't as good as it can be.
  • Christian79Christian79 Member Posts: 48
    Quick Question: The note regarding the compatibility issue with SCS implies that the upgrade mod should be installed after SCS. The SCS readme recommends installing SCS after any mods that add or changes items. So what is the ideal install order for the two?
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @CamDawg
    What say you?

Thankee!
    Endarire, please stop pinging me.
    Quick Question: The note regarding the compatibility issue with SCS implies that the upgrade mod should be installed after SCS. The SCS readme recommends installing SCS after any mods that add or changes items. So what is the ideal install order for the two?

SCS should remain last (or close to last) in your install order and Item Upgrade should be installed well before it. The note is only there because SCS needed additional code to address compatibility, which it has as of version 33 or later.
    StummvonBordwehr
    CamDawg wrote: »
    Endarire, please stop pinging me.

SCS should remain last (or close to last) in your install order and Item Upgrade should be installed well before it. The note is only there because SCS needed additional code to address compatibility, which it has as of version 33 or later.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I was mislead by the changelog:
    Resolved compatibility issue with the SCS component "Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages". If installed, it removes all scrolls of Contingency from the game. In that case, you will need a scroll of Globe of Invulnerability instead of Contingency for the archmagi robe formulas. However, this requires SCS of version

For Item upgrade to know which scroll to choose (Globe or Sequencer), it needs to know whether the feature in SCS is enabled or not and hence it needs to be installed, when Item Upgrade installs.

But I guess you somehow externalized the scroll-part of the formula and SCS checks on install whether Item Upgrage is installed or not and "inserts" the needed type of scroll, when it is installed.
    Yes. Basically Item Upgrade will install with the Contingency scroll formula. Then SCS comes along, removes Contingency scrolls and goes "hey, Item Upgrade is installed" and changes the formula for the upgrade. This way we keep the proper install order and don't have compatibility issues.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    From Hidden Adventure readme : The component "Anomen's extended plot" needs to be installed after "Jasteys Ajantis for BG2", "NPC Tweak", and "Weimer's Item Upgrade Mod" for the crossmod content included.

Does any one know if this recommandation is still relevant : Install Item Upgrade mod BEFORE Hdden Adventure ?

I was initially planning to install Item Upgrade in the Item Section of my install order.

I know it´s probably a lot to ask, but I wish for a toned down version of this mod. The craftable items in this mod mostly fall into one of two categories:
    • QoL (combining passive effects of worn gear)
    • Significant power ups (most weapon upgrades and Kitthix figurine)

I denote the first category as QoL since you can change the gear (even midfight) and get basically the same effect. A version of the mod which contains only items of this QoL category (mostly boots, helmets and shields) would be really great.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 174
    > I know it´s probably a lot to ask, but I wish for a toned down version of this mod.

My ideal wish would be one item mod to rule them all, but containing all possible
    modifications, and maintained by several authors.

As for Kithix: I usually take paina NPC now... it's just so much fun with her spider
    theme. Sadly that one is a bit buggy too.

Some items are also a bit too powerful in general, I noticed this with the time stop
    item. That one can be used to cheese many final encounters without a drawback.
    I guess I would add small drawbacks such as slow-effect on the guy who uses it
    for 1 or 2 turns afterwards or so "You feel dizzy". Similar with many other items
    in other mods.

(I write this here now because in my next run through in 2024 I intend to use
    the mod here. But I already have like 5 other item mods installed ...)