Skip to content

The root of the problem club

Question: is this item now transferrable from BGEE/SOD into Irenicus’ dungeon? If so that’d be great because it’s very useful for Jaheira :) thanks!

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    No, that item is not in the transfer list. The list includes (on top of usual BG1 items):

Archer's Eyes
    Robe of Red Flames
    Belt of the Skillful Blade
    Biter +2
    Voidhammer +3/Voidsword +3
    Bard Hat
    Helm of Dumathoin
    Buckler of the Fist +2
    Dragon Blade +3
    Tangled Strings
    Dharius
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 651
    Yeah, heaving read the bg2ee v1.3 patch notes, it looks like it’s not on the list to transfer between the enhanced editions.

It used to be in the transfer list between original BG and original BG2, which is odd because it doesn’t appear in original BG, so could only be obtained in BG by cheating or modding.

It’s odd but there we are.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Dharius wrote: »
    Yeah, heaving read the bg2ee v1.3 patch notes, it looks like it’s not on the list to transfer between the enhanced editions.

It used to be in the transfer list between original BG and original BG2, which is odd because it doesn’t appear in original BG, so could only be obtained in BG by cheating or modding.

It’s odd but there we are.

Original games didn't allow for a weapon transfer, there was a bug that prevented it (and which we fixed). Only a helmet, an armour and the pantaloons transferred. The way the original games worked, though, had another bug where you could pause the game (BG2) during the first second of it, and take down all the items, drop them to the ground, and voila - you had ALL the BG1 items on the ground in BG2.
    DhariusgorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, you're absolutely right, I remember those bugs now, the original transfers were prevented. I exploited that other bug once with all my items carrying across...but I was too overpowered and I felt a bit silly, so I didn't do it again.

Shame, because Jaheira would have wiped the floor with the opposition using that magic club :)
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited April 2020
    It's a shame druid-usable weapons in BG2 are weak enough that anybody would care about the Root of the Problem. That's a BioWare issue rather than a Beamdog issue, I suppose, but if you've started 2.7 planning yet then a couple of iconic scimitars/daggers/spears/clubs along the lines of FoA or CF wouldn't be a bad idea. :)
    Post edited by jsaving on
    Dharius
    Luckily I think you can pick up a Staff Mace in SOD which will transfer to BG2ee (I think at least) which is almost as good a weapon for Jaheira.

Otherwise she’s stuck with two handed staves for a while, which isn't ideal as it’s clear she likes shields.

So it could be worse I guess...
    sarevok57
    A Staff Mace can be found in a locked chest in Dradeel's Cabin on the Isle of Balduran. It's the TotSC content, not SoD. And yes, it's a part of the weapon transfer. See https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/37637/now-when-the-weapon-transfer-is-available-what-would-your-choice-be/p1

Btw, the Root of the problem club is looted from Jamven, or obtained as a reward after completing The Good Druids side quest in SoD. It's not a part of BG1 (or BG:EE).

SCS, or another mod, previously added this item as a reward for killing the archdruid in the Cloakwood forest in BG1.
    DhariusThacoBellStummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Dharius wrote: »
    Luckily I think you can pick up a Staff Mace in SOD which will transfer to BG2ee (I think at least) which is almost as good a weapon for Jaheira.

Otherwise she’s stuck with two handed staves for a while, which isn't ideal as it’s clear she likes shields.

So it could be worse I guess...

plus worse case scenario im pretty sure they can be bought at temples ( or temple type stores ) in BG 2, and also, if you do chapter 3 quickly and side with the shadow thieves the mage that helps you open the door to bodhi's lair will drop a staff-mace

or if you do the trademeet quest right away there is a +2 club you can pick up during the quest ( its pretty good actually ) and then when you finally finish the trademeet quest you can buy the blackblood club +3 which deals an extra 3 acid damage per hit which makes it an excellent troll killer
    DhariusStummvonBordwehr
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    jsaving wrote: »
    It's a shame druid-usable weapons in BG2 are weak enough that anybody would care about the Root of the Problem. That's a BioWare issue rather than a Beamdog issue, I suppose, but if you've started 2.7 planning yet then a couple of iconic scimitars/daggers/spears/clubs along the lines of FoA or CF wouldn't be a bad idea. :)

As the druids are not a class meant to fight, but the FD ones are, i don't see that they lack of good weapons.
    a +4 staff available right after the starting dungeon, if you can afford the price.

a +1 apr scimitar that knowing where it is you can potentially get avoiding almost all the fights early in the game.

wonderful slings all over the game, slings carry the str damage and using enhanced bullets get pretty crazy thac0 and damage if a good enchanted sling is used, giving plenty of time to cast also a spell in the round.

the returning daggers, again you can get one early in bg2 and get an even better one later, are also very strong. +1 apr both ranged, carrying the str bonus and mlee, and can be used as MH weapon as also a OH +1 apr weapon is used. Jaheira can reach 5 apr (10 improved hasted) quite early in bg2, even before reaching lev 13, 1 base + 1 DW + 1/2 specialization +1/2 fighter lev 7 +2 from 2 apr enhancing weapons =5.
    and she will have up to 3.5 (7 improved hasted) ranged attacks with the returning dagger if she is specialized, for a good damage if she has also a str enhancing item, that she really needs anyway, and is a problem of her, not related on how are good or bad the weapons the druid can use.

i find that the druid is not in bad shape as all as weapons as a caster class, surely is not powerful as a buffed cleric, but the buffed cleric mlee is a monster, is the most powerful not fighter type class.
    and i find jaheira really powerful as a fighter, while she adds also summoning, the insect spells, some utility ones and some damaging ones, even if not spectacular as the mage's ones, while she is a good tank thanks to the ironskins.

the only problem of jaheira is that to become a casting goddess being a multi she takes so long, as the spell progression of druids is so weird, but as fighter there is really nothing i can complain about, not about her and not about the weapons she can use (later in the game with the proper armor and the club of detonation is really strong, as belm make it even more likely that the explosion triggers.

JuliusBorisovAerakar
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2020
    I know that I am super late seeing this thread, but Root of the Problem is actually in SoA already.

The Spirit of the Grove gives it to you in the Druid Stronghold quest chain. Only useful really if you are using the Item Randomizer mod, because it's decidedly weaker than Blackbood or Gnasher which you'd otherwise almost certainly have had access to by then.
    iosfrustrationDharius
    Yes indeed, it’s only available to druids who choose to complete the stronghold related quest. It’s not a bad weapon in SoA, and if you can’t afford Blackblood I suppose it has some use owing to its acid and potential +3 abilities. It’s a lot more useful in SoD I think though, against the final boss for instance.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakar